Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 09:51 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,517 times

Advertisements

Hmmm.
Our company isn't a minimum wage job. That's what cracks me up. I guess I could understand the cashiers or even the waiters..but we get paid fairly well at my job (They start everyone around at LEAST $35K)

So, yeah.

We have "Leads" at my job, and they are basically under the department's supervisors. Here is the "Senior Lead" hard at work.

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs120.snc3/16736_1313878489987_1321429468_30884401_1003222_n. jpg

Then again, I think some people are correct when they say it's hard to fire some people...especially with things like affirmative action still around..

Last edited by h0tmess; 12-21-2009 at 10:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 09:55 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,894,428 times
That picture looks staged. If anyone looked remotely like that where I worked...they'd be out the door in no time.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:00 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
PLEASE excuse any typos, grammar mistakes, or any babbling.. I'm just a bit annoyed right now!

We all hear about how high unemployment is. We all hear about how hard it is to find a job. OK. With so many people looking for work, wouldn't you think company's would pick the best out of the best? To me, this makes perfect sense. If I had a company that was hiring, and a bunch of people needed jobs..well, lucky for me I'd get to pick the absolute best of the bunch!.. Right???? I mean this all sounds so logical to me!

Lately, at places like diners and retail..the service has been awful. I normally don't care too much about customer service as I've worked it before. I understand after awhile it just.. gets to you! ...but this one waiter was horrible. We got to this dinner at 11:45pm and they closed at 12 (we didn't know, actually). The manager was still letting people in after 12 and our waiter was getting P.O'd.. lol..and just.. was awful. I expect just basic customer service, that's all. That was one experience. I've had a TON of rude cashiers lately, too!

I can't say I have some super awesome long tern job, but it pays pretty well and our company is fairly new and upcoming. There's lots of options to move up, so it's a good thing...but...they hire such wastes. The people there act very much like we are in high school, however, they are in their late 20s and UP...up to about 40's-50's. Maybe I'm just not with this crowd of people at work.. lol

For example, people from my work totally ignore certain dress codes and other policies...and they actually spend more time taking pictures of themselves in their cubicle at work.

I wonder as to why things are like that? Not that I wish to work in an uptight environment, but at the same time we need some professionalism. I am by far the prime example of professional..but.. I'm there to work and that's it.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs084.snc1/4890_116885549953_504874953_2942720_7100084_n.jpg (broken link)

Here's just one example. That's actually from a friend of a friend's...friend.. (lol Facebook is out of control)

That's actually a worker on the clock at work.

So besides the people at my job, and the unfortunate experiences I've been having lately..what's your take on this? Are there a lot of "undeserving" people with jobs out there?
I work for a grocery store down in Florida and customer service is very HIGHLY expected from us. I try to at the very least give basic customer service and I had one day where I was particularly down and I told a customer hello and asked how she was doing. I was not in a smiling mood that day but I still TRIED to do my job. And she looked at me and said "How come you didn't smile? I come to Publix expecting a smile from all the employees. What kind of service is this, I spend over $1000 a month here and I didnt get my Publix smile. I have a good mind to report you to your manager as you've really put a damper on my day" Customer Service and retail haev gotten to my head but I do them and I do them well

As far as crummy employees. I guess some people who were forced to take a low paying job after a good one have a bad attitude. They dont want to be there anyway, and they feel they will never do as well as they used to. So they come in with a negative attitude and thus their work suffers because of it. This is not true for everybody though, some people work hard and give thier best effort even if its a job they hate and pays 1/8th of what their old job paid.

Other crummy employees who had jobs before the recession struck are just lazy and think "Oh I wont get fired (or laid off) it cant happen to me" I have a coworker in particular who really does NOTHING! Except flirt with all the female cashiers, hide in the bathroom talking on his cell phone or sit under a tree talking on his cell phone when he's supposed to be gathering shopping carts. If i did that my boss would have fired my lazy slacking ass a long time ago! He gets away with it and gets some of the msot hours and pay, and my boss is promoting him to full time giving him a raise to $10 an hour and 40 hrs a week guaranteed. While I make $9 an hour 28-36 hours a week and I get suspended for a customer complaint that was over a bs matter anyways! Nice huh?

Old 12-21-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
That picture looks staged. If anyone looked remotely like that where I worked...they'd be out the door in no time.

Sadly, it's not.. i don't even like the guy (LOL)..and people noticed it. People actually were like "OMGGG R U OK?!?" and felt sympathy. He didn't feel well, and this wasn't a case where his head was down for 3 minutes...it was more like 30 minutes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I work for a grocery store down in Florida and customer service is very HIGHLY expected from us. I try to at the very least give basic customer service and I had one day where I was particularly down and I told a customer hello and asked how she was doing. I was not in a smiling mood that day but I still TRIED to do my job. And she looked at me and said "How come you didn't smile? I come to Publix expecting a smile from all the employees. What kind of service is this, I spend over $1000 a month here and I didnt get my Publix smile. I have a good mind to report you to your manager as you've really put a damper on my day" Customer Service and retail haev gotten to my head but I do them and I do them well

As far as crummy employees. I guess some people who were forced to take a low paying job after a good one have a bad attitude. They dont want to be there anyway, and they feel they will never do as well as they used to. So they come in with a negative attitude and thus their work suffers because of it. This is not true for everybody though, some people work hard and give thier best effort even if its a job they hate and pays 1/8th of what their old job paid.

Other crummy employees who had jobs before the recession struck are just lazy and think "Oh I wont get fired (or laid off) it cant happen to me" I have a coworker in particular who really does NOTHING! Except flirt with all the female cashiers, hide in the bathroom talking on his cell phone or sit under a tree talking on his cell phone when he's supposed to be gathering shopping carts. If i did that my boss would have fired my lazy slacking ass a long time ago! He gets away with it and gets some of the msot hours and pay, and my boss is promoting him to full time giving him a raise to $10 an hour and 40 hrs a week guaranteed. While I make $9 an hour 28-36 hours a week and I get suspended for a customer complaint that was over a bs matter anyways! Nice huh?
That def sucks So..what is it about this other guy? There are things I want to ask, but I don't want to side track the topic.. lol

Why do you think he gets away with all of that, and then gets promoted?

Old 12-21-2009, 10:09 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Sadly, it's not.. i don't even like the guy (LOL)..and people noticed it. People actually were like "OMGGG R U OK?!?" and felt sympathy. He didn't feel well, and this wasn't a case where his head was down for 3 minutes...it was more like 30 minutes....

That def sucks So..what is it about this other guy? There are things I want to ask, but I don't want to side track the topic.. lol

Why do you think he gets away with all of that, and then gets promoted?
My store manager plays favorites with a lot of the hourly associates. He gives promotions based on personal reasons rather then merit and hard work. He mostly hires attractive young girls who are between 16-25. And this particular employee Im talking about, the boss is good friends with not only him but his father. My boss has only met my younger brother and I had to beg plead and work myself to the bone just to get promoted from bagger to cashier, whereas a majority of people were either hired to that position or it was just given to them

I have applied for full time several times and have been rejected ech time

Old 12-21-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you're speaking of. The first link you've posted shows a picture of a woman on a phone with her feet up on her desk wearing socks that nobody around here would wear to work, even on a Casual Friday.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:16 AM

Oh I'm sorry. I posted 2 pics. One in the OP, and one I seemed to have messed up on.

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs120.snc3/16736_1313878489987_1321429468_30884401_1003222_n. jpg (broken link)

Is the one I was referring to! Sorry!

--

No no.. people wear this kind of stuff on casual friday.. feet are always up on the desk... lol..

Old 12-21-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:

No no.. people wear this kind of stuff on casual friday.. feet are always up on the desk... lol..
Then it sounds like a company policy and ethics problem - and a management problem.

If I accepted a job at that company and later saw many employees engaging in this kind of behavior and it was widely accepted by management - I would actively be looking for a new job with a better company culture.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:27 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I don't know. I'm over 50 and would very much like a job (haven't worked outside the home in 20 years) but with all the college graduates and displaced workers out there it's tough. When I go out and about to do my business I constantly run into people who don't know their jobs and don't seem to care. I've actually had to tell some folks HOW to do the things I wanted done because they didn't know how! I'm constantly dumbfounded that those idiots could land a job and I can't even land an interview.

On the other hand, I also have dealt with some excellent workers who really knew their jobs and went above and beyond. I suspect some of these people are probably overqualified for their current positions and probably took a step down job-wise due to the economy.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:31 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
and I had one day where I was particularly down and I told a customer hello and asked how she was doing. I was not in a smiling mood that day but I still TRIED to do my job. And she looked at me and said "How come you didn't smile? I come to Publix expecting a smile from all the employees. What kind of service is this, I spend over $1000 a month here and I didnt get my Publix smile. I have a good mind to report you to your manager as you've really put a damper on my day"?
Oh, man. What a bi*ch. (that woman). You're a worker, not her slave or servant. I have to say I hate 'nasty' and 'unpleasant' (no replies, no greetings, no expression) clerks or cashiers but to say "SMILE" like a damn robot is wrong.

Get yourself into a better career, pal. This is pathetic and I feel sorry (in a nice way) for you and your clerks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment