Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 05:57 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,284,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
Perhaps you should elaborate. Were these "crappy workers" spared the layoffs, or were they recent hires?

Traditionally, employers layoff those they can afford to lose. The less experienced, less important staff. Those with plenty of skills and experience stay on.
Sadly, nowadays companies seem to lay off the more expensive workers, and keep those less experienced workers so they can cut the bottom line even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 06:30 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,844,587 times
Unfortunately that seems to be exactly what's happening. Management will keep the ones that cost them least, seemingly without regard to their actual worth in terms of getting the job done well it seems.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:34 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post

We all hear about how high unemployment is. We all hear about how hard it is to find a job. OK. With so many people looking for work, wouldn't you think company's would pick the best out of the best?
Nope.

I have had two interviews where I did not get the job because I was "too good" for it. They are afraid that once the economy turns around, I will dump them for a better, higher paying job. SO the good people go wanting for fear that they will leave for a better job when it appears.

SO we are stuck with sub-par people to deal with while the good people are unemployed.

Stupid? yeah

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-22-2009, 06:49 PM

55 posts, read 179,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Yeah, nice blanket statement...
Some women go to work to work, not have social hour. Guys don't goof off?
I think it was more along the lines of "women like to take pictures more than men" rather than a misogynistic comment.

Could just be me and the guys I know, but we don't care much for pictures, taking them or being in them (excluding big vacations).

I could rant about this all day, but it is annoying with the number of cameras out there, and the number or stupid random photos taken all the time. Anytime I go out for a random dinner with friends (Always couples) not only do I have to "pose" for pictures my wife is taking, I have to "pose" for pictures everybody else is taking, and take somebody elses picture.

We are at freaking Applebees ok. I don't need to take 10 pictures of 5 couples, and I don't need 10 pictures taken of me and my wife, ok? Damn cameras. Get off my lawn!

Old 12-23-2009, 02:54 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,084,262 times
OP-you mentioned places like retail and restaurants. I would venture to guess that the majority of these workers are young (college age twenty-somethings). I think it's a reflection of this generation-selfish, spoiled, immature, entitlement attitudes.

Where I work, the younger ones (19-23ish) overall have terrible work ethics. They constantly come in late, whine that they want to leave early, spend too much time in the back text-messaging or socializing on Facebook. They do very little actual work and when they do, they complain.

I'm not some old hag (I'm only 31), but I was raised and instilled with strong work ethics, and it irritates me to no end to see so many people get away with mediocrity and slacking off.

P.S.-I'm not in a minimum wage job either.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:19 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Sadly, nowadays companies seem to lay off the more expensive workers, and keep those less experienced workers so they can cut the bottom line even more.
Sometimes you don't know the entire story.

At my company, I have seen some really great folks getting laid off (usually this happened when the project or team they were working on was completely cancelled and then they happened to be victims and the last ones sitting in the chairs) and then I have seen some really dead weight being let go (thankfully).

Take my team for example. We have one employee who has been there longer than anyone else on the team. This person is older and one would think with his years of experience that he would be the top performer. He isn't. In fact, he is our worst employee and has a very very difficult time rethinking his role and understanding how to perform. The work that he is capable of is more or less entry level. This person also gets paid the MOST out of everyone on the team. In fact due to his tenure he almost makes as much as I do.

My leadership knows this, his previous management knows this-- and I know that when making out lists of whom we could afford to lose-- he was on there. I am sure if the lay off ever comes around again then he would be the first one to lose. I am sure he would think that they got rid of the person with the "most experience," when in reality it would be more based on the fact that his performance reviews have indicated for the past couple years that he is behind the younger and less experienced (in terms of years) employees.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:48 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
Sign of the apocalypse:

I just got done reading about 10 email inquiries regarding open positions in our company, here's one of the emails I received (this is for a driving job, names/ages changed to protect the guilty):

dear sir/madam,
my name is chucky,33 years old.
ur add on c.l caught my attention,
n i'd like to apply if still available.
all my job exp is a driver.so i'm comfortable with,
the position u offering.
i'm looking forward to meet u in person,or set up an interview.n i can be reach any time at (800) 555-1234 or
chucky@yoohoo.com

tx's for ur time to read this email....
've a nice day.

chucky.

I mean, he isn't even trying.....text language? Please.

Folks, please don't bother if you aren't even going to try.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:06 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,219,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Sign of the apocalypse:

I just got done reading about 10 email inquiries regarding open positions in our company, here's one of the emails I received (this is for a driving job, names/ages changed to protect the guilty):

[I]dear sir/madam,
my name is chucky,33 years old.
ur add on c.l caught my attention,
n i'd like to apply if still available.
all my job exp is a driver.so i'm comfortable with,
the position u offering.
i'm looking forward to meet u in person,or set up an interview.n i can be reach any time at (800) 555-1234 or
chucky@yoohoo.com

tx's for ur time to read this email....
've a nice day.

chucky.[/i]

I mean, he isn't even trying.....text language? Please.

Folks, please don't bother if you aren't even going to try.
Now, now, Chucky did start out with a formal greeting.....

Old 12-23-2009, 08:46 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
per OP
in a word low wages. wages have lagged behind cost of living for a long time. our dear businesses have recruited 21 million mexican people to come into the country illegally and american business also lobbies DC to have BP go easy on enforcement. that kept wages down for awhile but did not improve service. and with enough low wage workers i must give credit mexican people know how to join together and demand things from employers and the government. we forgot how to do that.
That's true. Low wages has a lot to do with it - companies no longer care about service, if a great employee with excellent customer skills would require $10 an hour and an illegal will work for $4 an hour and expect no overtime, no health insurance, guess which one will be hired. That's because today it's all about the quick buck. The employer sees the cheap worker as so much better because labor costs are so much lower.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I think people trapped in low wage, unrewarding jobs feel more trapped and put-upon than ever. Many employers are actually taking advantage of the current economic situation and scarcity of jobs and are taking away benefits, and putting too much on just a few workers to enrich their bottom line. They know they can get away with this right now because these workers feel there are no jobs out there for alternative possiblities. What you are seeing is the resentment and frustration showing through, which can be hard to hide. I know, I feel it every day...
That's true too - morale is low, and many companies no longer provide even annual or merit pay raises.

Where I work, even with unemployment rates as high as they are, the company prefers to hire immigrants, even paying the legal costs of them because they're easier to control. You can make someone with a visa stay on third shift, work weekends -- because they cannot quit, they won't leave because somewhere else pays better. They can despise the job but they're not going anywhere.

Everyone knows that the company would just as soon replace them with someone with just enough education or job skills at least on paper that can fill the position much more cheaply or will tolerate terrible conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment