Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 01:59 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,898,418 times

Advertisements

See, what confuses me is that.. if I was laid off and I just took any ol'e job just to get by..........why on EARTH would I put myself in a situation where I may get fired?!

If I took a customer service job because I needed an income, why would I not provide customer service?! I think that's what annoys the heck out me so much. I've worked Wal-Mart before. I made my $7 an hour. I've also been 19 and worked at Wal-Mart all while living at home. Sure, having or not having a job wasn't going to do anything for to me--and I did goof off a bit--but I was still never miserable and treated people like crap, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 10:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
In April 2000, the U.S. unemployment rate was 3.9%.

Were there no illegals here back then?
Quite a lot fewer but also that was in the start of the big housing bubble -- where developers were making out like bandits building the cheapest possible houses, entire subdivisions going up overnight, hauling in semi trailer loads of the cheapest possible roofers, dry wall installers, and so on.

Well -- now the housing bubble has burst.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:28 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Quite a lot fewer
You've got to be **expletive** kidding me.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
You've got to be **expletive** kidding me.
In 2000? Of course there were fewer. People have been coming in at the rate of 1 - 2 million a year.

Check out our population growth -- in 2000 we were not yet to 300 million people and now it's already over 307 million and rising fast.

The birth rate of Americans has been at replacement level for some time now, the huge population increases are from very massive immigration.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
In 2000? Of course there were fewer. People have been coming in at the rate of 1 - 2 million a year.

Check out our population growth -- in 2000 we were not yet to 300 million people and now it's already over 307 million and rising fast.

The birth rate of Americans has been at replacement level for some time now, the huge population increases are from very massive immigration.
I find it hilarious that you believe that 3.6% (11 mil) of the population (308 mil) is causing the unemployment problem.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:36 PM

55 posts, read 179,997 times
Quote:
I find it hilarious that you believe that 3.6% (11 mil) of the population (308 mil) is causing the unemployment problem.
Xenophobes/racists aren't widely known for their logical skills.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:56 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleshoe View Post
Actually that would be great. The USA started falling apart when women left the home to go to work. Kids on their own and all that.
Evertbody knows this.
Oh, yes. I am sure that is why it is falling apart.

Let me guess? Women should not have any careers and just be your *****?

Old 12-25-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
There are a whole lot more than 11 million and you know it. It was that when Bush took office and millions have arrived since.

It's absurd to keep the borders wide open for anyone to come in with the economy as bad as it is. It was absurd to keep them wide open when the economy was good. We're inviting the entire third world to come and either work for low pay or live off welfare handouts. No quicker way to become third world ourselves.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:51 AM

611 posts, read 1,456,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I think people trapped in low wage, unrewarding jobs feel more trapped and put-upon than ever. Many employers are actually taking advantage of the current economic situation and scarcity of jobs and are taking away benefits, and putting too much on just a few workers to enrich their bottom line. They know they can get away with this right now because these workers feel there are no jobs out there for alternative possiblities. What you are seeing is the resentment and frustration showing through, which can be hard to hide. I know, I feel it every day...
AMEN! Anytime you tell your boss anything that is bothering you, you hear "Well look at the economy, at least you have a job" Everyone is miserable, waiting for the economy to get better so they can get the hell out of that place. Everyone is scared of being laid off, working with their heads down, trying not to stir up trouble. It is really pathetic how employers are taking advantage of the recession. For expample a "major cellular company" (that starts with an S) has a call center here in Orlando, in 2007 they were hiring call center agents at 13-14 dollars an hour, everyone was clammoring to get into that place. Guess what rate of pay they are hiring at now? 10.00 hr...this has happened at several different call centers in Orlando. It seems to go unnoticed. I worked a 12 hr shift yesterday (I work in a hospital, on my feet) with only a 30 minute break. We dont get two 15 minute breaks, and we didnt get holiday pay for christmas eve.....I try my best with the patients, I go above and beyond for them, because I know that the hospital is trying to suck every dime they can from every patient that walks in the door. so I routinely tell them about different ways to get health insurance coverage, prescription coverage, ect. But I think alot of people have been camping out at jobs they hate for about a year now, and they are just plain tired. Employers seem to be looking for every reason to fire you, and are nit picking your work in a way never seen before. I am also seeing alot of coworkers ratting on each other, I dont know why people are doing this, I guess to make themselves look better?

Old 12-25-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
There are a whole lot more than 11 million and you know it. It was that when Bush took office and millions have arrived since.

It's absurd to keep the borders wide open for anyone to come in with the economy as bad as it is. It was absurd to keep them wide open when the economy was good. We're inviting the entire third world to come and either work for low pay or live off welfare handouts. No quicker way to become third world ourselves.
Even if they were 10% of the population (they aren't), they still wouldn't be causing 30, 50, or 100% of the unemployment problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment