Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 11:40 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,142,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
There's a saying, "Act your wage."

For $8 an hour, an employer should EXPECT someone who just skates by doing the bare minimum and slacks off at every opportunity he gets. If the employee gets fired, he'll just get another crap $8/hour job that he can slack off at.

Security guards make about that much and they are some of the laziest people. You get what you pay for.

Personally, I wouldn't care if I was being paid $8 an hour. That is a joke wage and I would treat the job for what it is, a joke.
This and if possible I would be sleeping instead of guarding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 11:58 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,694,158 times
depends on what is working hard is .. working hard at mcdonalds is different then working hard in an office

Old 06-29-2012, 12:07 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,179,448 times
If I were to take a job, I would work hard at it no matter the pay. If I didn't want to work hard, I wouldn't take the job.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:19 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,923,824 times
I wouldn't do more than the bare minimum.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:46 AM

93 posts, read 170,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
as you would for $10 - $12 or $15?

In other words, when it comes to the amount of effort you put out on your job, would you say that your employer...."gets what they pay for", or would you give 100 percent effort regardless of whether you were making $12,000 a year or $30,000 per year?

Just wondering, y'all

20yrsinBranson
yes, i'm desperate for even a minimum-wage job, i've lowered my standards a lot in my job search but even low-end jobs like McDonald's, Walmart, other Retail places, Customer-Service jobs, require, expect a lot of qualifications

Old 07-27-2012, 12:06 PM

810 posts, read 1,809,840 times
Personally, I would. I try to give my full effort in any job, regardless of wage, because I find value in hard work.

That being said, employers need to realize that when they pay minimum wage or generally lower wages. you generally get what you pay for. I can't help but roll my eyes when employers complain about lazy workers or bad worker behavior when those positions are low-paying and low-skilled. Also, before someone screams "Well, there can be lazy workers in high-paying positions too!", note that there are always exceptions. There will be workers who bust their butts in a low-wage job, and workers who laze around with a high salary.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:17 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,482,530 times
$8/hr x 8 hours a day is $64/day. After taxes you're talking maybe $55/day? Honestly I think I could probably find something on the side to make more than that, I would hope at least. $55/day is insane. That doesn't even include any deductions for health insurance (which I guess you wouldn't care about, just go to the ER, you can't afford a doctor or meds anyway).

Old 07-27-2012, 12:44 PM

93 posts, read 170,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
Personally, I would. I try to give my full effort in any job, regardless of wage, because I find value in hard work.

That being said, employers need to realize that when they pay minimum wage or generally lower wages. you generally get what you pay for. I can't help but roll my eyes when employers complain about lazy workers or bad worker behavior when those positions are low-paying and low-skilled. Also, before someone screams "Well, there can be lazy workers in high-paying positions too!", note that there are always exceptions. There will be workers who bust their butts in a low-wage job, and workers who laze around with a high salary.
yup, they are always so judgemental

Old 07-27-2012, 01:35 PM

193 posts, read 459,060 times
No. But I wouldn't work for $8/hr. You get what you pay for, which is why those jobs pay $8/hr. If you have a Masters Degree or Ph.D and you take $10/$15 /hr then you just put a price tag on your education, what you are willing to sell your level of knowledge and skills for. If I put an ad on craigslist and said "I want a 2012 Ferrari 458 Italia Spider, only willing to pay $5,000" and someone sold it to me what would that say about the worth of your Chrysler 300? one instance, maybe not a whole lot, but repeatedly? People will only pay you what you are willing to accept, or what anyone else with your skills and education and willing to accept. In an ideal world everyone with your education and skills would say NO, thus creating the need to pay a higher salary for the given skills/education or the lowering of the standards of the company in order to pay someone less. There will always be someone out there who will take bottom dollar and thus put a price tag on your (and their) skills and education. I know when I shop online I look for the cheapest place I can buy something that I need, that's who I buy it from... if every store had roughly the same price then I don't have much choice but to pay it if I really want it. This is why I believe in unionized labor and collective bargaining, now people bash it because union represented employees enjoy job security and steady wages (most anyway) while everyone else suffers. Instead of applauding the successes of unionized labor they bash them out of jealousy, but they do what almost everyone who is unemployed wishes they could do - set a price and for the most part, enforce it through a contract. It's tough times like these where unions shine, when everyone was doubling their 401k's in the dotcom era and making significantly more money than unionized workers no one cared. I understand people need to eat and feed their families, but again if someone out there is willing to take peanuts for a degree that cost them $50k-$150k then that is where the bar is set and that is what employers will aim to pay because people are willing to take it. You see ads for jobs requiring years of experience, a degree, specialized skills and it pays almost nothing because people are taking it so employers will get away with paying it. I don't have the answer as to how to solve it, and this depression will likely go on for quite some time. It's a very sad and unfortunate situation in the United States and I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. If someone only wants to pay $8/hr they are and should only expect to get $8/hr of work, nothing is free...why should someone put in $15/hr of work for an $8/hr job? because they accepted the job? first the pay is an insult so you should expect the same back. You can't go into a store and throw $20 down and say you want everything they have then get insulted when they give you a t-shirt, you get what you give that's just the way it is and if you are giving more than you get, you are a masochist.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:44 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,443,261 times
I guess you could ask your cable company if they would offer you all the HD channels at the basic rate.

You could go into a BMW dealer and ask them to sell a brand new 3 Series to you for the same price as a Ford Focus.

You could go to McDonalds, give the cashier a dollar and tell them you want them to make you a Big Mac combo.

Ask the same question to a person running a business and see what they say. Why should it be any different with an employee? You don't buy dollar store products and expect top shelf quality, do you? You get what you pay for. Plain and simple.

Edited to add: It depends on the type of work being asked of me as well. If it's a simple set of tasks without a lot of responsibility, then I will do what's asked of me to get the job done and to earn the wage. But if more and more responsibility gets piled on and I'm not seeing an increase in my pay, then it becomes a problem. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Last edited by Tekkie; 07-27-2012 at 02:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment