Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,413 times

Advertisements

I am sorry for all the negative insulting comments you have received. People that do not have, or have any knowledge of hyperacusis, have no idea how it can affect someone. I have it to, and work in an office full of women who never shut up, and constantly are cooking/slamming microwave. I am ready to take this to the EEOC as I have asked for reasonable accomodation and nothing is done.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:21 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,974,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're never going to get anywhere in the business world until you stop belieivng that your employer should cater to some imagined disability.
Google much?

Hyperacusis: Evaluation, Diagnosis, and Treatment. - Hyperacusis Information Site
Fact Sheet: Hyperacusis
Hyperacusis Network > Home
Hyperacusis
Hyperacusis

Do you have a medical degree? Yes; then please explain your blatant ignorance on this subject. No; then stop embarrassing yourself with these ignorant and smug posts. Your lack of compassion for somebody's VERY REAL medical condition is disgraceful, at best, and shows a complete lack of character on your part. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:33 AM

24 posts, read 74,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I need you to state your exact health condition, otherwise, I can't give you an honest opinion. I am really starting to wonder if you just are a chronic complainer.
^This.

It sounds as if you are doing nothing BUT complaining. If I were your boss, you would already be out the door. I am willing to bet you check the box that says " I [ ]do [X] do not need any extra treatment in the daily course of the work day."

Old 03-18-2011, 11:21 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,482,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're never going to get anywhere in the business world until you stop belieivng that your employer should cater to some imagined disability.

It's really the silliest thing I ever heard. Your demanding special treatment for it would be annoying. I woudn't promote you. I'd probably find a reason to fire you.
Exactly. These are the kind of "illnesses" you keep to yourself, not broadcast to the company and ask for special treatment. I have a mental illness, but I've been stable for several years and I'm not even thinking of bringing it up to future employers/coworkers because it's not necessary.

My point is, everyone faces different challenges and sometimes it's best to handle them yourself and not ask for help from employers.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:48 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
I have a mental illness, but I've been stable for several years and I'm not even thinking of bringing it up to future employers/coworkers because it's not necessary.
When I saw the mental illness part I asked aloud, are you my ex? Then I noticed you have been stable for several years, that clarified for me you are not.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Google much?

Hyperacusis: Evaluation, Diagnosis, and Treatment. - Hyperacusis Information Site
Fact Sheet: Hyperacusis
Hyperacusis Network > Home
Hyperacusis
Hyperacusis

Do you have a medical degree? Yes; then please explain your blatant ignorance on this subject. No; then stop embarrassing yourself with these ignorant and smug posts. Your lack of compassion for somebody's VERY REAL medical condition is disgraceful, at best, and shows a complete lack of character on your part. You should be ashamed of yourself.
I'm aware of the disorder. My son is extremely sensitive to sound due to a neurological imbalance in a specific area of his nervous system that causes him to have symptoms in other areas, not just his hearing. For example, his adrenal system is also impacted which hinders his feight and flight response. Another areas of his body that are affected by this neurological imbalance controls his swet glands and his heart rate (which falls to the 34bpm at rest). I could go on and on.

Guess what? My son is wise to chose a career that is appropriate for his disorder. My son's problem and the OP's problem are not truly and utterly disabling. l would never encourage my son to embrace such a crutch when he is fully capable of living a full productive life.

Saying a person should be able to have any career they wish is bull. We chose our careers according to our strengths, not just our passions. Many people can love music but that doesn't mean they all can have a career as a singer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillPrevail View Post
^This.

It sounds as if you are doing nothing BUT complaining. If I were your boss, you would already be out the door. I am willing to bet you check the box that says " I [ ]do [X] do not need any extra treatment in the daily course of the work day."
You raise a good point. I'll bet the OP never mentioned he needed accomodations during the interview process.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:13 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,528,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
True. The manager reminded me that it's an office, that they made accommodations by asking people to turn off their cell phone ringers (to me that's common courtesy and I can't believe it took complaints to fix that...we work with financial information and as I told him before, some call centers like banks specifically forbid cell phones on the production floor, due to the risk involved. With camera phones, a snapshot of account information can be taken, though a screen shot will do that same).

I think that ultimately he wants me seated close to my team, be able to watch my comings and goings and, plus my current seat is needed by another department. However this does not change the fact that I will no doubt be more stressed, face pain and decreased productivity with the seat change and I may have to address these with HR. The challenge for me though is that I'm already on thin ice with the lateness issue and have been offered accommodations, so to request further accommodations for a second medical condition might be too much to ask for...I dunno. For now I'll have to resort to wearing earplugs, perhaps starting white/pink noise therapy (there are machines for that), get noise cancelling headphones but not play music, etc.. Any other suggestions besides telling me to stop whining?
Quit whining.

For a second I was thinking you had a legitimate health problem with noise but it's become clear you like comming in when you want and don't want to be accountable to others, you like playing on the internet and paying bills and don't want to be spied on aka kept on task working.

In this post you don't really mention the health problem at all but that you wont like where you are seated. Guess what, everyone who works with others has smelly coworkers, coworkers we don't like, loud people, people who tlk to much, chew gum loud, etc. Yeah its stressful, its a pain, its life.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:15 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,765,643 times
nm.....

Old 03-18-2011, 02:21 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Even if you have legitimate handicaps, I wonder if you are seen as the office ninnie. I understand an ear condition, but, when I see people in Wheelchairs working at McDonalds and things of this nature, it makes me wonder.....
My brother-in-law has the same ear condition (stemming from a ruptured eardrum when he flew with a cold once), and he works for a MLS team... so he's in a soccer stadium on game days, which is probably the loudest environment imaginable! If you think a chain-link bracelet is bad, try working around thousands of screaming fans & vuvuzelas. He just wears earplugs, and has been doing the treatments mentioned earlier - they actually seem to be working, as his condition is improving steadily. Having two kids at home also seems to have helped, LOL.

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-18-2011 at 02:31 PM..

Old 03-18-2011, 04:12 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,197,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
Guess what, today my manager came by my cubicle and announced that a colleague and I were being expropriated back to our original seating areas, apparently because a supervisor in another adjacent apartment wants the space. The thing is, I fought long and hard with management to move me to where I'm sitting now due to various factors that negatively influenced my health and productivity in the area I used to sit in.

Some of the main problems were noisy colleagues, a noisy copier, being next to the lunchroom and to top it off, I have this sensitive hearing condition whereby the sound flooding from peoples' headphones (they actually provide CSRs with them) triggers pain and irritation, requiring me to wear filtering earplugs, otherwise face pain all day long.
Now the thing is, my CS colleagues in the original area were loud and inconsiderate, some of them setting their cell phone ringers to loud, instead of silent or vibrate...and I took it all the way to management and HR.

Anyway, I really don't want to go back to that area...where I'm sitting now is quieter, there's less sound to irritate my ears and I've got the benefit of independence, away from management's eagle eyes. But it seems I have no choice, because according to the manager, she wants me to move back to the noisy area within the next 1-2 weeks. This blows. I feel like they just think about their own needs (now they'll be able to spy on me even more) , not mine....and that any progress made is poof! gone...

I'm starting to think it's time to start looking again....because if a manager is willing to put an employee's health at risk, then I don't know if I can take it. My stress levels will surely sky rocket...and in other news I heard the second position I'm gunning for is up in the air again, plus the hourly rate is lower than expected. Hmmm
The health issue is a bunch of BS - see bolded parts - this is his REAL issue..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment