Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 06:53 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
Today was the second day of my move back to my old seating area, but in a new cubicle this time. Note that they are half height cubicles, so noise does tend not to be filtered that much. Let me tell you something, it doesn't feel good to be there. I'm next to a server room with whooshing fans that makes it hard to tolerate the constant sound (I began feeling pain). However after the IT guy left for the day, I closed the door and that made it more tolerable.
But what's more irritating is this supervisor who sits nearby and can't do anything quietly. Over 6 months ago, when I was sitting adjacent to her, I asked her whether she could remove a heavy bracelet that was scraping along the desk each time she moved the mouse because it was hurting my ears. She looked at me like I was crazy and refused, citing it was a relative who gave it to her. That was one of the reasons I asked to be moved (asking people to make reasonable accommodations and them refusing.)

Well today she was around and stayed 90 mins OT, scraping the heavy bracelet and afterwards shoving around and ripping papers. It's as bad as someone scrunching papers for like half an hour straight. Very inconsiderate. The problem is, she just got a promotion and is hard to approach. I used to be friendly to her, but after the constant noise and when she once made me look bad in front of my superiors, I decided to avoid her altogether. Now she doesn't talk to me and I don't talk to her.

I don't see myself staying in this position for too long...I want to go back to my old seat! Even though it was next to some jokers who played more than they worked, it was a lot funner hearing them goof off than being next noisy hardware and a supervisor who has no social grace whatsoever. now what?? I might have to go sit in an empty seat somewhere else, never mind what my manager told me. It's not his ears that are being assaulted.
Sometimes it is hard working with people in fact I have a co worker that smells like unwashed poop and that is annoying. I feel bad for her because she has deeper concerns because she and her disabled sister simply cannot afford indoor plumbing so I'm thinking you might need to think about more pressing matters than a bracelet. I'm sure today it is a bracelet and tomorrow it will be a new issue.....

Old 06-03-2010, 09:51 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
often they will do that to spite you, this happens to my entire dept b/c there is a director/manager feud...

we recently had new space added, 2 of us had our desks picked out... b/c we had been in crappy desks, then the boss came over and moved us...

the desks have now been sitting empty for over 2 months.
That must really hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
As one who worked in the private sector before and ran my own company for a while, I completely agree with you. I'm surprised they haven't found a reason to show here the door now.
Too true! Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Sometimes it is hard working with people in fact I have a co worker that smells like unwashed poop and that is annoying. I feel bad for her because she has deeper concerns because she and her disabled sister simply cannot afford indoor plumbing so I'm thinking you might need to think about more pressing matters than a bracelet. I'm sure today it is a bracelet and tomorrow it will be a new issue.....
Well said.

For true! VAW, you really have to get over yourself. You dick around with personae/alter egos. You're so much like forum favorite TVSG who comes up with one excuse after another when silly things go amiss.

You both despise your working environment, have problems with the women you work with, have problems with your managers. You both feel superior to everyone in your workplace, both feel that you're simply not appreciated and that if you were up there at the head of the totem pole you could run the company so much better.

So how come you're not there? Not even close?

Old 06-03-2010, 10:16 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
OP,

You sound like you'd be a pain in the arse to work with. It sounds like your going to either a. have to quit, or b. Find a solution on your own.

Keep making trouble and they'll likely show you the door anyway.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:21 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
def, you've shown on another forum that you have what it takes to actually get to the hiring authority - get out and do that. I think your time in your present place is limited.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:29 PM

924 posts, read 2,231,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
def, you've shown on another forum that you have what it takes to actually get to the hiring authority - get out and do that. I think your time in your present place is limited.
I know what it takes to get the interview, BTDT. But as much as I rant about this current job, I must say that recent schedule changes have been for the better - except that they do overlap with this bracelet wearing ninny. Did I tell you? I'm now doing 5 days a week now and my shifts are afternoon/evening, which is great for my needs. It's probably a temporary change, but 30 hrs/week is nothing to sneeze at.

If that woman would lose the bracelet, things would be a lot brighter.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:58 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Well the shift change is great for you - try the pink noise thing and see if that helps, but I wouldn't just up and change seats over the bracelet ninny, your manager may take a dim view of that, so I hope you were just venting.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:21 PM

924 posts, read 2,231,090 times
Quick update: I was moved again! This time by my supervisor and next to a door that people keep opening and closing and even closer to the woman with the chain bracelet. I'm really getting the feeling like my bosses are Bill Lumbergh (asking me to work every day because they're short staffed) and moving me around like Milton from Office Space. Plus, my manager just sent me an email inviting me to come talk to him about the seating arrangement. Hmmm... now what?

Old 06-10-2010, 03:52 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
Quote:
Quick update: I was moved again! This time by my supervisor and next to a door that people keep opening and closing and even closer to the woman with the chain bracelet. I'm really getting the feeling like my bosses are Bill Lumbergh (asking me to work every day because they're short staffed) and moving me around like Milton from Office Space. Plus, my manager just sent me an email inviting me to come talk to him about the seating arrangement. Hmmm... now what?
Good grief! I was looking at a flyer for Home Depot and they have some very nice patio furniture on sale I bet you could pick some up and set up a great little private office in the parking lot!

Old 06-10-2010, 06:38 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Quote:
I'm really getting the feeling like my bosses are Bill Lumbergh (asking me to work every day because they're short staffed) and moving me around like Milton from Office Space.
We've had that feeling since you stated posting.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:09 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,937 times
Quote:
What do you mean, "now what"? Are you looking for a solution, or just more drama?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.