Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:17 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,177,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If a nice, considerate coworker mentioned that my bracelet noise aggravated their medically related hearing problem in a non-judgemental, non-whiney, non-argumentive manner, I wouldn't wear it.

But if the company whiner said in an accusatory manner that they wanted me to stop wearing the bracelet because they "hated the sound it made," I'd add another bracelet just to annoy them even more.

It all comes down to the delivery.
Exactly my point.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:11 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times
Come on Annerk. You know that isn't fair either.

Quote:

But if the company whiner said in an accusatory manner that they wanted me to stop wearing the bracelet because they "hated the sound it made," I'd add another bracelet just to annoy them even more.

It all comes down to the delivery

Old 06-11-2010, 04:10 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,845,339 times
I used to work (briefly) with a co-worker that wore a "charm bracelet" with little BELLS as the charms...........now that's some SERIOUS irritation (Oh and it was briefly because it also annoyed our boss it seems)

Old 06-12-2010, 05:54 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Come on Annerk. You know that isn't fair either.
Neither is life.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:35 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
I hope the O.P. has started to look for another job as their current one doesn't seem to be a good fit for them.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:18 PM

924 posts, read 2,231,591 times
Update! Things are going a little better with bracelet woman. I knew I had to do something to butter her up before I make my move (asking her to remove the awfully loud chain from her wrist) . After I kept saying bye to her last week with no reply, she finally greeted me and said hi today when exceptionally she came in on her day off.
Then I asked her, hey it's your day off...don't you have anything fun to do? To which she replied, I have so much work!
I then asked do you still go to the gym?
Suddenly she got slightly defensive asking, why?
To which I replied, well when I used to sit near you, you used to talk about that all the time.
Then she replied, nahhh I'm too busy...but soon I won't even fit in the chair. LOL, referring to the size of her butt.
She then asked me if I do any sports...and I go yeah some... she asks which ones, do you cycle?
I answer, well I should...I need to get a helmet...and my current bike is kind of crappy with the chain that greases up my pants all the time..

She replies, why do you need a helmet? I see plenty of people on the bike paths without them. Then I say well I almost saw an accident this morning (by the way, amazingly I was able to arrive before noon for the first time in ages) right at the corner (outside our office building) when a motorist was turning left into the path of the cyclist who had to stop suddenly and yelled out, hey! And besides, public security in this neighborhood I go through on my way to the office gives tickets to riders without them.
To that she had no comeback.

Hmmm, things are looking up and I'm actually starting to get used to the new seat. There are more noises and distractions than I care for including echoing noise from a mall below (don't ask)... plus my supervisor is a couple of desks away... Now the question is, when will I pop the BIG question?

Last edited by ValueAddedWorker; 06-13-2010 at 10:31 PM..

Old 06-13-2010, 11:03 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
Now the question is, when will I pop the BIG question?
You are asking bracelet lady to marry you?

Old 06-13-2010, 11:12 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,177,920 times
Here is how to tactfully do this.

Approach her. Ask if you can talk to her for a minute.

"I am sorry if we got off on the wrong foot before. That was not my intention. I suffer from "XXXXX", which is an inner ear blah blah blah. Sounds that normally dont affect anyone really affect my inner ear. Thats why I asked before about your bracelet. I was wondering, when I am here, if you could remove it, as when it bangs against your desk, XXXXXX.... Or, if maybe you could help me get my seat moved, that also may help me out, as this area is loud anyways....XXX"

Try it that way and see if that helps. This way, you aren't being the "bracelet is loud" guy. You are telling her what the problem is, and giving her a couple solutions to it.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:19 AM

That's the spirit!

Why do some kind and innocent people get brain tumors or what not.

Quote:
Neither is life.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:20 AM

Is it that difficult to tell the bracelet lady that she is a huge annoying pest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Here is how to tactfully do this.

Approach her. Ask if you can talk to her for a minute.

"I am sorry if we got off on the wrong foot before. That was not my intention. I suffer from "XXXXX", which is an inner ear blah blah blah. Sounds that normally dont affect anyone really affect my inner ear. Thats why I asked before about your bracelet. I was wondering, when I am here, if you could remove it, as when it bangs against your desk, XXXXXX.... Or, if maybe you could help me get my seat moved, that also may help me out, as this area is loud anyways....XXX"

Try it that way and see if that helps. This way, you aren't being the "bracelet is loud" guy. You are telling her what the problem is, and giving her a couple solutions to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment