Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 05:22 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
Have a link for those custom plugs? Feel free to PM me.

I currently wear custom fitted ones called Musician's earplugs with removable 15 or 25 db attenuators (filters) that cut certain tones and volume, but still allow you to hear "naturally" and enjoy music.
Those are the ones I'm referring to. You can get the filters for 30 Db as well. They don't cut out any "tones" but instead attentuate sound levels evenly across all frequencies and only cut volume.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:08 AM

924 posts, read 2,231,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
That is very intersting about your condition! I stil am unsure why it keeps you from working until the afternoon though? What part did I miss?
More than one medical condition, that's what.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Those are the ones I'm referring to. You can get the filters for 30 Db as well. They don't cut out any "tones" but instead attentuate sound levels evenly across all frequencies and only cut volume.
Okay fair enough on what they do, but I think you are misinformed about the price (unless you know of a discount supplier) and availability of 30 db attenuators. As per the manufacturer's site:
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/erme.aspx

Quote:
The average cost for a pair of Musicians Earplugs ranges from $150 to $200. Contact your local hearing professional for cost information in your area. Three types of attenuator buttons are available: ER•9, ER•15 and ER•25. The number corresponds with the amount of sound reduction provided in dB.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:20 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
Quote:
Okay fair enough on what they do, but I think you are misinformed about the price (unless you know of a discount supplier) and availability of 30 db attenuators. As per the manufacturer's site:
Etymotic Research, Inc. - Musicians Earplugs
Mine were $75 from my ENT's office. The pricing listed on the web site includes typical doctors office fees as well. My doctor didn't charge anything other than their cost as I had the molds made while I was there for a regular appointment. Sorry, I was mistaken about the 30 db.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:29 PM

Today was the second day of my move back to my old seating area, but in a new cubicle this time. Note that they are half height cubicles, so noise does tend not to be filtered that much. Let me tell you something, it doesn't feel good to be there. I'm next to a server room with whooshing fans that makes it hard to tolerate the constant sound (I began feeling pain). However after the IT guy left for the day, I closed the door and that made it more tolerable.
But what's more irritating is this supervisor who sits nearby and can't do anything quietly. Over 6 months ago, when I was sitting adjacent to her, I asked her whether she could remove a heavy bracelet that was scraping along the desk each time she moved the mouse because it was hurting my ears. She looked at me like I was crazy and refused, citing it was a relative who gave it to her. That was one of the reasons I asked to be moved (asking people to make reasonable accommodations and them refusing.)

Well today she was around and stayed 90 mins OT, scraping the heavy bracelet and afterwards shoving around and ripping papers. It's as bad as someone scrunching papers for like half an hour straight. Very inconsiderate. The problem is, she just got a promotion and is hard to approach. I used to be friendly to her, but after the constant noise and when she once made me look bad in front of my superiors, I decided to avoid her altogether. Now she doesn't talk to me and I don't talk to her.

I don't see myself staying in this position for too long...I want to go back to my old seat! Even though it was next to some jokers who played more than they worked, it was a lot funner hearing them goof off than being next noisy hardware and a supervisor who has no social grace whatsoever. now what?? I might have to go sit in an empty seat somewhere else, never mind what my manager told me. It's not his ears that are being assaulted.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:17 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
I don't see myself staying in this position for too long...
I don't think you have too much to worry about.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:50 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,619 times
Quote:
Today was the second day of my move back to my old seating area, but in a new cubicle this time. Note that they are half height cubicles, so noise does tend not to be filtered that much. Let me tell you something, it doesn't feel good to be there. I'm next to a server room with whooshing fans that makes it hard to tolerate the constant sound (I began feeling pain). However after the IT guy left for the day, I closed the door and that made it more tolerable.
But what's more irritating is this supervisor who sits nearby and can't do anything quietly. Over 6 months ago, when I was sitting adjacent to her, I asked her whether she could remove a heavy bracelet that was scraping along the desk each time she moved the mouse because it was hurting my ears. She looked at me like I was crazy and refused, citing it was a relative who gave it to her. That was one of the reasons I asked to be moved (asking people to make reasonable accommodations and them refusing.)

Well today she was around and stayed 90 mins OT, scraping the heavy bracelet and afterwards shoving around and ripping papers. It's as bad as someone scrunching papers for like half an hour straight. Very inconsiderate. The problem is, she just got a promotion and is hard to approach. I used to be friendly to her, but after the constant noise and when she once made me look bad in front of my superiors, I decided to avoid her altogether. Now she doesn't talk to me and I don't talk to her.

I don't see myself staying in this position for too long...I want to go back to my old seat! Even though it was next to some jokers who played more than they worked, it was a lot funner hearing them goof off than being next noisy hardware and a supervisor who has no social grace whatsoever. now what?? I might have to go sit in an empty seat somewhere else, never mind what my manager told me. It's not his ears that are being assaulted.
Your employer is required to make reasonable accomodations-- not some person.

I suggest you go to HR with proof documented from a medical professional and allow them to make what reasonable accomadations they can. It may mean that they just give you headphones or something. Or it may mean that they have done what they can do and it is time for you to move on to another job.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Your employer is required to make reasonable accomodations-- not some person.

I suggest you go to HR with proof documented from a medical professional and allow them to make what reasonable accomadations they can. It may mean that they just give you headphones or something. Or it may mean that they have done what they can do and it is time for you to move on to another job.
The thing is, I already asked for accommodations on the schedule for another medical condition - a letter was already submitted for that. Then my supervisor was nice enough to switch me to late afternoon starts recently. I'm happy with those changes. To come at them with another letter and a second condition that requires further accommodations is too much.
I think for now I should focus on therapies like listening to pink noise (never tried that before), bite the bullet with TRT (Tinnitus Retraining Therapy) which is expensive like hell ($400 out of pocket expense to start, with possible follow up sessions needed at $200/hr), and find other solutions.
Or as I said, just go sit in another spot.
Finding another job may be the solution, but I like my schedule now and know that would be hard to replicate elsewhere.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:47 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I don't think you have too much to worry about.
As one who worked in the private sector before and ran my own company for a while, I completely agree with you. I'm surprised they haven't found a reason to show here the door now.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:45 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,530,240 times
often they will do that to spite you, this happens to my entire dept b/c there is a director/manager feud...

we recently had new space added, 2 of us had our desks picked out... b/c we had been in crappy desks, then the boss came over and moved us...

the desks have now been sitting empty for over 2 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment