Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:54 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,177,920 times

Advertisements

I think you may have some valid points, but, then with some of the stuff that you say, you shoot yourself in the foot.

I'd be curious as to your approach when you talk to people, in particular the "ninnie" with the loud bracelet. What did you say, and how did you say it? I have one vision of this encounter in my mind, and from that can totally understand her refusal.

Even if you have legitimate handicaps, I wonder if you are seen as the office ninnie. I understand an ear condition, but, when I see people in Wheelchairs working at McDonalds and things of this nature, it makes me wonder.....

Old 06-10-2010, 10:56 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times
I've never seen anyone at McDonald's or Burger King in a wheelchair.

And in corporate environments it isn't just one single dysfunctional person. A bad workplace does the Us versus him or her phenomenon. That in itself is bad. Then you have a bunch of unwritten rules that create problems instead of solve problems. And so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I think you may have some valid points, but, then with some of the stuff that you say, you shoot yourself in the foot.

I'd be curious as to your approach when you talk to people, in particular the "ninnie" with the loud bracelet. What did you say, and how did you say it? I have one vision of this encounter in my mind, and from that can totally understand her refusal.

Even if you have legitimate handicaps, I wonder if you are seen as the office ninnie. I understand an ear condition, but, when I see people in Wheelchairs working at McDonalds and things of this nature, it makes me wonder.....

Old 06-10-2010, 11:03 PM

I have. As well as in Retail, Gas Stations, etc.

We have a girl that works here that has Spinal Bifida and uses a crutch to get around everywhere.

And, while I understand that the culture of a place has something to do with it, it sounds like he is not doing his part to fit in, more going around causing issues.

Reminds me of a lady we have here who goes into our GM's office constantly for stupid things. Recently it was because we passed out cookies on Mothers Day, and we missed her. Well, we wouldnt have missed her if she was in her seat. Also, she made no attempt to say hey, you missed me when she noticed them being passed out. She just wanted something to complain about.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:04 PM

924 posts, read 2,231,591 times
Quote:
Can you be more specific? This way we can all learn from your feedback.

Quote:
I first approached her over 6 months ago when I was sitting in the very noisy spot. I don't recall how I approached her at the time beyond that I wrote something by IM. She knew that I had trouble with noise with the adjacent photocopier and this other colleague who was a total nuisance (knocking his knuckles on his desk to the beat of his headphones, laughing and talking loudly with an "outside" very loud voice, etc. I understand it's hard to imagine how people would be stressed by that, but if you had hyperacusis, you'd understand. But you don't, so it's natural to be skeptical.
Moving forward, I actually listened to Opyelie's suggestion and contacted the Hyperacusis Network (they're a network of audiologists) to inquire about ordering the pink noise audio therapy. Haven't heard back from them yet. In the meantime, with more important stuff going on like my schedule and future at the company, I figure I'll take care of that first, then the bracelet woman. I'm being careful to remain polite to her and say hi and bye during each shift. Considering I might have to tolerate her every day, now's not the time to be making enemies.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:21 PM

We agree to disagree. I wouldn't want to work with an insensitive person like you either. It's not about the cookies. It is an adding up of problems that make the person complain. Maybe she had experienced other slights and forms of rudeness. All you see is the superficial circumstances. You don't have all of the information.

Quote:

Reminds me of a lady we have here who goes into our GM's office constantly for stupid things. Recently it was because we passed out cookies on Mothers Day, and we missed her. Well, we wouldnt have missed her if she was in her seat. Also, she made no attempt to say hey, you missed me when she noticed them being passed out. She just wanted something to complain about.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:26 PM

Be careful out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
Considering I might have to tolerate her every day, now's not the time to be making enemies.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
We agree to disagree. I wouldn't want to work with an insensitive person like you either. It's not about the cookies. It is an adding up of problems that make the person complain. Maybe she had experienced other slights and forms of rudeness. All you see is the superficial circumstances. You don't have all of the information.
No... she actually admitted that the real reason she complained is because she was upset her son did not call her on Mothers Day. This lady's MO is to complain about trivial things. And honestly, would you go into the head person's office, at a place with 1200 employees, about not getting a cookie? When in fact, if she would have said she was missed, she would have gladly been given one?

I'm not insensitive in the slightest. I understand what the OP is saying, but alot of how you are dealt with is your approach. This meaning, two people can ask the same type of question, but get different responses based on how they asked it, how they worded it, etc..

I work in a similar type place as the OP is speaking, so, I am speaking out of a position of at least a bit of knowledge, instead of making sweeping generalizations.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:36 PM

You are wasting your time to complain about a woman who made some complaints about trivial subject matter? Why waste your time man. I think it's trivial to complain about complainers. Enjoy your life. And forget about her. Nobody is perfect. Leave her be and carry forward.

Quote:
No... she actually admitted that the real reason she complained is because she was upset her son did not call her on Mothers Day. This lady's MO is to complain about trivial things. And honestly, would you go into the head person's office, at a place with 1200 employees, about not getting a cookie? When in fact, if she would have said she was missed, she would have gladly been given one?

I'm not insensitive in the slightest. I understand what the OP is saying, but alot of how you are dealt with is your approach. This meaning, two people can ask the same type of question, but get different responses based on how they asked it, how they worded it, etc..

I work in a similar type place as the OP is speaking, so, I am speaking out of a position of at least a bit of knowledge, instead of making sweeping generalizations.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You are wasting your time to complain about a woman who made some complaints about trivial subject matter? Why waste your time man. I think it's trivial to complain about complainers. Enjoy your life. And forget about her. Nobody is perfect. Leave her be and carry forward.
No one is complaining about her. I am comparing the type of person she is, using her as an example, to the type of person that the coworkers and management of our OP may perceive him to be.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:17 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
If a nice, considerate coworker mentioned that my bracelet noise aggravated their medically related hearing problem in a non-judgemental, non-whiney, non-argumentive manner, I wouldn't wear it.

But if the company whiner said in an accusatory manner that they wanted me to stop wearing the bracelet because they "hated the sound it made," I'd add another bracelet just to annoy them even more.

It all comes down to the delivery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment