Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Canadians sound like Americans?
No, I can tell the accents apart easily, regardless of the generation of speakers 72 24.16%
Older Canadians don't, but younger Canadians have that American twang 14 4.70%
They sound somewhat like Americans but not exactly 156 52.35%
Canadians of all ages sound like Americans to me 56 18.79%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 12:09 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,370,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Full sentences please, are you saying the people from the following areas don't sound like Americans? I've been to Winnipeg a few times, and I'd always imagined it being one of the more Americanized cities, but I've never been anywhere else in Canada. I do have 3 friends from Canada, 1 from Vancouver, 1 from Moncton, and 1 from Edmonton. The ones from Vancouver and Moncton sound almost exactly like Americans, the one from Moncton is fluent in French as well, but no accent related to that. The one from Edmonton has the most accent, but still isn't a strong accent.
Some people lose their accents more quickly than others when they move away. When I went to university, my accent flattened out a lot, because I was around lots of people from different parts of the country. A university friend of mine (a Torontonian) visited my home town and met my brother. He was shocked that my brother had a strong Irish-sounding accent, because I no longer spoke that way. I've lived away from my home province for a good 15 years now, and it'd take a lot of conscious effort for me to speak with that accent and vocabulary now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 12:12 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Canadians speak a bit more quickly than people from the U.S.... I can tell the difference between several U.S. and Canadian accents, but there are also things like figures of speech, slang, gestures, body language, that hint at where the person's from.

People from the U.S. tend to fill up more "personal space" with their bodies when they speak. They gesture more with their bodies--they'll turn their shoulders, nod their head, gesture with their arms, etc. more than Canadians do. They also are much more direct /blunt when they speak. Canadians do seem more soft-spoken in comparison. My observation is that Canadians also use more "comfortable pauses" during conversations, whereas people from the U.S. tend to try to fill in pauses in the conversation. Can't think of another way of putting it.

There's more of a "lilt" in the way Canadians speak, and more of a "drawl" in the way people from the States speak.
This I suppose, depends on the American accent. We don't all drawl. When I go to many parts of the country, especially the east coast and the south, they immediately know where I'm from. The Canadian vowel shift and California vowel shift are identical.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This I suppose, depends on the American accent. We don't all drawl. When I go to many parts of the country, especially the east coast and the south, they immediately know where I'm from. The Canadian vowel shift and California vowel shift are identical.
Yes, I was really generalizing... there's no way I'd call a Boston accent a "drawl"... although, to my ear, even with some (southern) Midwesterners, it sounds like they speak with a drawl to me.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:24 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Yes, I was really generalizing... there's no way I'd call a Boston accent a "drawl"... although, to my ear, even with some (southern) Midwesterners, it sounds like they speak with a drawl to me.
Southern Midwesterners do drawl as the midland accent begins to merge with the southern varieties. There seems to be almost a continuum. Follow the Mississippi River from Louisiana up through Minnesota and the accent changes gradually from various southern varieties to one almost indistinguishable from Manitoba once in northern Minnesota.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:11 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
I think to the average person in the U.S. or other countries (who is not exceptionally attuned to accents), the standard accent in Canadian English *could be* one of the many accents that exist within the United States.

It's part of what you might call the "North American English Accent Family", which many people simplistically conflate with the territory of the United States.

To the untrained ear, an Anglo-Canadian *could be* from the U.S. in a way that an Englishman, Irishman, Scotsman or Australian could not.

The main exception to this would be Newfoundlanders, whom many people might mistake for Irish.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Most Canadian accents are distinctive to my ears. But so are southern US ones, and a few other regional ones. For Canadian speakers, often there are some words that really stand out as canadian, while most words have only a subtle accent. The strongest Canadian accents have a bit of a scottish cadence to them; though some have a fargo-ish Upper Midwest sound as well. The weakest ones sound close to western US accents, perhaps Californian ones in some ways.

Odd quirk that the accent on the north side of Lake Ontario is closer to California than the accent on the south side of Lake Ontario.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Most Canadian accents are distinctive to my ears. But so are southern US ones, and a few other regional ones. For Canadian speakers, often there are some words that really stand out as canadian, while most words have only a subtle accent. The strongest Canadian accents have a bit of a scottish cadence to them. The weakest ones sound close to western US accents, perhaps Californian ones in some ways.
I can hear a Torontonian by the way they pronounce "Molson" (name of a large brewery). Something about that first "o" that I never hear elsewhere. It's interesting. Wish I'd studied linguistics.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:47 PM

984 posts, read 1,315,700 times
Canadians spell words differently ie centre/center due to our French heritage and NOT our British. Same with provinces as opposed to states..............provence is a French word. Similarly Air Canada vs US Mail is also relevant in most federal government departments ie Environment Canada. This is so government agencies can be properly stated in both languages. This is also why our anthem is "O Canada" and not "Oh, Canada"..............it had to be a title that was the same in both official languages.

I know some Americans say eh and some other words but we are talking generalities here. I am sure there are Americans who say I'm sorry or John and I, or eh, or chocolate bar but in Canada you will NEVER hear a Canadians say :I apologize, candy bar, me and John, and we don't write checks we write cheques. You will never hear a Canadians say words that Americans would and vise-versa.

Even if they don't have a regional American or Canadian accent I can still tell the difference in just a few sentences. I also agree that Americans tend to talk faster and in a more forthright way. Not everyone will sir or mame but again you will never hear that in Canada unless it's the army.

When telling language accents apart it's not just the sound but also what you say and how you say it.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:05 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,411,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
in Canada you will NEVER hear a Canadians say :I apologize, candy bar, me and John, and we don't write checks we write cheques. You will never hear a Canadians say words that Americans would and vise-versa.

t.
Not true, I hear Canadians say "me and ______" all the time. " I apologize, might not be as common but you do hear it.

Some Canadians sound similar to standard midwestern accent, some don't.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:07 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Canadians spell words differently ie centre/center due to our French heritage and NOT our British.
Sorry, but you are incorrect. It was the Americans who changed the spelling of some English words, including switching the "-re" ending to "-er." Canada retained the British spellings. Colour is British, not French [it's couleur in French]. Anaesthesia is British, not French [it's anesthésie in French].

Quote:
This is also why our anthem is "O Canada" and not "Oh, Canada"..............it had to be a title that was the same in both official languages.
O is always used in poetic English instead of Oh. It's "O Holy Night," not, "Oh, Holy Night." Shakespeare wrote "O Romeo, Romeo" not "Oh, Romeo." It's disingenuous to say that O was chosen solely because it's both French and English. If there was a US song with a similar title, it would be "O America."

Quote:
we don't write checks we write cheques.
Like the British.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World