Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Canadians sound like Americans?
No, I can tell the accents apart easily, regardless of the generation of speakers 72 24.16%
Older Canadians don't, but younger Canadians have that American twang 14 4.70%
They sound somewhat like Americans but not exactly 156 52.35%
Canadians of all ages sound like Americans to me 56 18.79%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 02:12 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
English speaking Canadians still have a slight French accent, here is an example of that. Skip to 0:45 and you can hear the guy say 'aboat', even almost 'aboot'. An American would never speak like that.
If you think that sounds like it was influenced by French, then what can I say? You have a bad ear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 02:27 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
All American TV newscasters (for example) have an accent-less delivery that makes it difficult to associate them with their home region, although a few like Dan Rather and David Brinkley retained their southern style. I caught a Michiganism the other day coming from Miles O'Brien, and I had not known that he was from Michigan until I looked him up (he pronounces "since" like "sense"). But that uniformity, I presume, is the enforced American style, which is not the same as that enforced by Canadian broadcasting outlets.. If you watch the CBC news from Canada, you will recognize a Canadianism within a minute or two. British, Irish and Scots accents are perfectly acceptable among Canadian professional media speakers, even if conspicuous.

So I'd have to say it is not pronounced, but it is there for all to hear. Americans have a lot of regional accents within, but they're not allowed to leak through onto TV presenters. I was a TV presenter in Canada for many years. and I assume nearly all my audience knew I was American.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:34 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
If you think that sounds like it was influenced by French, then what can I say? You have a bad ear.
Yeah, no French there lemme tell you...

Old 05-26-2015, 02:42 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
All American TV newscasters (for example) have an accent-less delivery that makes it difficult to associate them with their home region, although a few like Dan Rather and David Brinkley retained their southern style. I caught a Michiganism the other day coming from Miles O'Brien, and I had not known that he was from Michigan until I looked him up (he pronounces "since" like "sense"). But that uniformity, I presume, is the enforced American style, which is not the same as that enforced by Canadian broadcasting outlets.. If you watch the CBC news from Canada, you will recognize a Canadianism within a minute or two. British, Irish and Scots accents are perfectly acceptable among Canadian professional media speakers, even if conspicuous.

So I'd have to say it is not pronounced, but it is there for all to hear. Americans have a lot of regional accents within, but they're not allowed to leak through onto TV presenters. I was a TV presenter in Canada for many years. and I assume nearly all my audience knew I was American.
That's a very interesting point.

The main news commentator in (English) Canada is this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF2uv4owPmc

Although in the U.S. you have this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO1lO1CVkTE

Old 05-26-2015, 02:43 PM

14,311 posts, read 11,702,283 times
It doesn't sound like French, no, but that is a classic example of Canadian pronunciation of "about."

Old 05-26-2015, 04:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That's a very interesting point.

The main news commentator in (English) Canada is this guy:

]
I know Rex very well, we worked(and hung out) together for years. He still has a hint of his Newfoundland accent, but it seems largely overcome. He went to the CBC and I went to City-Data.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-26-2015 at 04:21 PM..

Old 05-26-2015, 04:47 PM

542 posts, read 503,269 times
Quote:
Canada definitively has French roots and it still shows in their way of speaking. Even English speaking Canadians sound a little French although their accent is not as strong as when people from France are trying to speak English.
Wrong.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:02 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,922 times
pretty much

Old 05-26-2015, 05:37 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
English speaking Canadians still have a slight French accent, here is an example of that. Skip to 0:45 and you can hear the guy say 'aboat', even almost 'aboot'. An American would never speak like that.
There is no slight French accent there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yeah, no French there lemme tell you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It doesn't sound like French, no, but that is a classic example of Canadian pronunciation of "about."
+1.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:45 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Silly question as if all Canadians and Americans have the same accent my relatives in British Colombia have a different accent than those living in Ontario and my accent doesn't sound like either one of theirs. BTW I prefer the Ontario accent over the BC accent but there are even variations in Ontario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World