Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Canadians sound like Americans?
No, I can tell the accents apart easily, regardless of the generation of speakers 72 24.16%
Older Canadians don't, but younger Canadians have that American twang 14 4.70%
They sound somewhat like Americans but not exactly 156 52.35%
Canadians of all ages sound like Americans to me 56 18.79%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 07:45 PM

65 posts, read 129,815 times

Advertisements

Some interesting observations about the various accents spoken by native English-speakers in Quebec. I can attest that this is pretty spot-on.

The quest for the Montreal English accent - Cinq a Six - CBC Player
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 08:40 PM

520 posts, read 532,619 times
Ok Canadians even up to the current younger generations absolutely have a distinct accent and I would know being in the northwest and getting vancouver tv stations as well. They absolutely say words like out and house completely different and are generally much more Anglo British esque in some words, spellings, and usages

Old 06-10-2015, 09:41 PM

11 posts, read 11,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
Ok Canadians even up to the current younger generations absolutely have a distinct accent and I would know being in the northwest and getting vancouver tv stations as well. They absolutely say words like out and house completely different and are generally much more Anglo British esque in some words, spellings, and usages
And don't forget, Vancouver has "the lightest" Canadian accent in all of Canada. Ontario has it 20 times as strong as what you've already pointed out.

Canadians aren't "losing" their accents anytime soon, if anything they're getting stronger. Which is odd considering you would think increasing Americanization in Canada in terms of media would level out the accent?

It's funny, when I listen to someone like Michael J Fox in family ties re-runs he didn't sound that Canadian at all but young canadian actors these days on TV shows (like degrassi) have strong and pronounced accents "OOOAT and abooooat". As I said, the accent seems to be actually getting stronger not weaker through the generations.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:54 PM

520 posts, read 532,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatekisss View Post
And don't forget, Vancouver has "the lightest" Canadian accent in all of Canada. Ontario has it 20 times as strong as what you've already pointed out.

Canadians aren't "losing" their accents anytime soon, if anything they're getting stronger. Which is odd considering you would think increasing Americanization in Canada in terms of media would level out the accent?

It's funny, when I listen to someone like Michael J Fox in family ties re-runs he didn't sound that Canadian at all but young canadian actors these days on TV shows (like degrassi) have strong and pronounced accents "OOOAT and abooooat". As I said, the accent seems to be actually getting stronger not weaker through the generations.
Yeah I noticed the same when I lived in Australia. About fully 1/2 of the tv shows were American but nobody started speaking American English. They could understand it well enough of course. I have doubts that foreign cultural media affect local dialects as much as people think they do. How you talk in large part is determined by who you talk with on a regular basis.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:46 PM

749 posts, read 853,269 times
Sound the same to me, esp. on TV!

Old 06-11-2015, 06:05 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,592,414 times
I live in Michigan, and I'd say it's more like most of us here have Canadian accents than the other way around.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:08 AM

11 posts, read 11,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
I live in Michigan, and I'd say it's more like most of us here have Canadian accents than the other way around.
What? Michiganders have the northern cities vowel shift. Sounds totally different than Canadian. I can bet money you don't say "aboat"

Old 06-11-2015, 07:09 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,263,329 times
They don't sound the same in Winnipeg or St Johns/Halifax. But definitely in Toronto.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:11 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,263,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatekisss View Post
What? Michiganders have the northern cities vowel shift. Sounds totally different than Canadian. I can bet money you don't say "aboat"
Canadians don't all say about like that.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:31 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,439,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Canadians don't all say about like that.
Sounds like a boat to my ears. Some say it sounds like a boot, which I don't find to be true at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World