Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the USA the most beautiful country in the world?
Yes 37 30.58%
No 84 69.42%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 09:27 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,341,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
It is so obvious you started this thread to cause a ruckus. Your opinion makes the rest of us look like boorish Americans. Go travel around the world and get back to us. It is laughable you think Florida is beautiful.
I think South Florida is beautiful. I don't find much of the rest of the state as scenic though. Outside of South Florida the landscapes can be scene in better views in other states.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Take a look at the USDA zonal maps and get back to me. The vast majority of your state is in zone 8 and 9. Those zones have annual winter min temps of upper teens F to 30F. Orlando has a freeze just about every other year. Freezes occurred in 2011 in S. Florida. Remember all the lizards dropping out of the trees dead from the cold in Miami? December 2010 and Naples, FL had an average high/low for the month of 68.3/46.9F. Those are subtropical temps not tropical. Ask the people that live in the real tropics when was the last time they had a winter month with those kinds of averages.
Um. Your little plant hardiness zoning (USDA zonal maps) does not determine what climate an area has. Countless other factors go into how well a plant can withstand the climate of an area. Now, a respectable climate classification, such as this one, does.

Köppen climate classification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note all the blue in South Florida.

And no, I have never in my whole life seen lizards falling out of trees because of the cold (I have lived in Florida my whole life. Have you?). I would be delighted if that happened, as I dislike lizards, but no. Link it or it didn't happen!

And I knew you would bring up 2010, which was a completely unnatural cold winter for not just Florida but for the whole North American continent. I know you want to get a point across so try not using outliers please.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:41 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,678,383 times
I think what makes the United States beautiful is it's diversity. We have beaches, mountains, sand dunes, glaciers, geysers, rivers, lakes, plains, deserts, forests, meadows, etc. Just about anything you like you can find here. I've been to many other beautiful countries, but so far none of them has had the kind of diversity we have and our national parks are second to none for me.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:43 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,640,475 times
China and the US have the widest range of climate zones and geologic zones. The old USSR used to be close, before it lost its Himalayan zone and most of its deserts.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I think what makes the United States beautiful is it's diversity. We have beaches, mountains, sand dunes, glaciers, geysers, rivers, lakes, plains, deserts, forests, meadows, etc. Just about anything you like you can find here. I've been to many other beautiful countries, but so far none of them has had the kind of diversity we have and our national parks are second to none for me.
Yup! Anything you could want to see can be found here.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:49 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Thinking the US is beautiful isn't the same as objectively thinking it's the MOST beautiful in the world.

The OP made the claim, did he expect everyone to agree with him? It's called a discussion/having an opinion.
I know I know. I'm just trying to to understand the logic that: if you think the US is the most beautiful country in the world then you are ignorant.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:51 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,931,164 times
Out of the countries I've visited so far, the US is the most amazingly breathtakingly beautiful. In my opinion.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:57 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yea, this thread is a bit embarrassing. There are good way to show off nice things about your country and then... this.

For swimming, most of the West Coast is terrible. But from northern Oregon to just north of Los Angeles, much of the Pacific Coast is hills plunging into the sea. Post pictures later. Dunno where else is similar, I think Italy has some. Come to think of it, I think the Mediterranean packs a lot scenery in a small area. The one thing you do get in the US (and Canada) is very large stretches of beautiful natural scenery that's relatively untouched by human development. Much rarer in the Old World, unsure how South America compares.
But as more and more Americans flock to the small areas in the US with warm winter climates this is changing. The once beautiful undeveloped bits are being overrun with chock a block sprawl. And no one stops it cause developers own the politicians and the almighty dollar trumps all in the US, certainly over natural beauty. They can't even get that supposed new national park Carole King is trying to get established in the Great Plains so the buffalo can be brought back. Too many private landowners not willing to take a large sum for their land. They probably hate government. They are saying this may be finally complete in 50 years or so. Sheesh. Forget about it. Other govts would just take the land using eminent domain and pay them a fair price. The Fed Govt used to own all this land before all the homesteaders took it for free.

A Park The Size Of Connecticut Is Being Carved Out Of The Great Plains | Co.Exist | ideas + impact

Old 10-06-2013, 10:00 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I think South Florida is beautiful. I don't find much of the rest of the state as scenic though. Outside of South Florida the landscapes can be scene in better views in other states.

There you have it. South FL is a tiny, tiny part of the US. And most of it is over developed with ugly sprawl which is only going to get much worse as the baby boomers all move down there for retirement.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
But as more and more Americans flock to the small areas in the US with warm winter climates this is changing. The once beautiful undeveloped bits are being overrun with chock a block sprawl. And no one stops it cause developers own the politicians and the almighty dollar trumps all in the US, certainly over natural beauty. They can't even get that supposed new national park Carole King is trying to get established in the Great Plains so the buffalo can be brought back. Too many private landowners not willing to take a large sum for their land. They probably hate government. They are saying this may be finally complete in 50 years or so. Sheesh. Forget about it. Other govts would just take the land using eminent domain and pay them a fair price. The Fed Govt used to own all this land before all the homesteaders took it for free.

A Park The Size Of Connecticut Is Being Carved Out Of The Great Plains | Co.Exist | ideas + impact
I'm sorry, but SCREW the buffalo! The government can't take land away from private owners for stupid buffalo. Put the buffalo on farms so we can eat them. They belong on our burgers (I love buffalo meat).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World