Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the USA the most beautiful country in the world?
Yes 37 30.58%
No 84 69.42%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 10:05 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Link it or it didn't happen!

Why don't you get out more and maybe read some more. An oh yes outliers most certainly do determine climate. If every ten years or so your temps go into a nosedive that most certainly determines what kind of tropical veg can grow there. Compared to Australia, the tropical areas of Florida are pathetic in that they can't grow at all the really tender purely tropical trees and plants. And trust me, there are quite a few of those. You won't see them in Miami.

And here for your reading pleasure:

Kamikaze iguanas fall from Florida's frozen trees - Telegraph

Alien Iguanas Fall From Florida Trees During Cold Snap

Old 10-06-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I think what makes the United States beautiful is it's diversity. We have beaches, mountains, sand dunes, glaciers, geysers, rivers, lakes, plains, deserts, forests, meadows, etc. Just about anything you like you can find here. I've been to many other beautiful countries, but so far none of them has had the kind of diversity we have and our national parks are second to none for me.
Diversity doesn't mean beauty. Just take beaches. Yes we have them, but they are no where near the most beautiful. They have sand and water for the most part, not much other beauty, at least on the east coast. And the water is nothing at all to look at. You won't find crystal clear Med type waters except in only the smallest stretches of the US coastline. Other countries have mountains, plains, deserts, etc. The US has a lot of stuff that is beautiful, but just not all stunningly beautiful to beat out the entire world.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:10 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,340,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Why don't you get out more and maybe read some more. An oh yes outliers most certainly do determine climate. If every ten years or so your temps go into a nosedive that most certainly determines what kind of tropical veg can grow there. Compared to Australia, the tropical areas of Florida are pathetic in that they can't grow at all the really tender purely tropical trees and plants. And trust me, there are quite a few of those. You won't see them in Miami.

Iguanas are not even native to Florida! Thank god once ever 25 years (not even close to 10) we will get a cold snap that kills the nasty things off.

And no, outliers do not determine climate. You can say so until you are blue in the face but every single climatologist will disagree with you! South Florida is tropical buddy! What exactly can tropical Australia grow that South Florida cannot? Every single tropical plant can grow in South Florida (though maybe not in the wild as our soil quality is not good)

Old 10-06-2013, 10:11 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
But as more and more Americans flock to the small areas in the US with warm winter climates this is changing. The once beautiful undeveloped bits are being overrun with chock a block sprawl. And no one stops it cause developers own the politicians and the almighty dollar trumps all in the US, certainly over natural beauty.
Huh? Even the Northeast, the densely populated part of the country, much of it is free of sprawl and has little chance of being developed. If you live in one of the bigger metros, it might not feel the way. Much of the Northeast is forest with relatively little human intervention. The Old World, at least Western Europe, has little similar.

New England sees a return of forests and wildlife - Metro - The Boston Globe

Much of the scenic parts of the west is too far from urbanized areas to be developed or government owned land. Western metros go from suburbia to virtually inhabited land.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:

Omg. The nasty iguanas didn't even die! They went into hibernation! The nasty things are going to wake up by 9 am and be the same nuisance they always are.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Huh? Even the Northeast, the densely populated part of the country, much of it is free of sprawl and has little chance of being developed. If you live in one of the bigger metros, it might not feel the way. Much of the Northeast is forest with relatively little human intervention. The Old World, at least Western Europe, has little similar.

New England sees a return of forests and wildlife - Metro - The Boston Globe

Much of the scenic parts of the west is too far from urbanized areas to be developed or government owned land. Western metros go from suburbia to virtually inhabited land.

Do you realize all those forests are relatively new. Almost the entire state of PA was completely cleared. The only original forests can be found in a few small state parks. Same for other eastern states. In the South the farmers wiped out the only native US parrots.

ExplorePAHistory.com - Stories from PA History

It can and will happen again. There is no stopping USA population growth. Soon enough there will be 500 Million Americans. Way too many imo.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:26 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,985 times
Quote:
It can and will happen again. There is no stopping USA population growth. Soon enough there will be 500 Million Americans. Way too many imo.
just take different development path. urban infill instead of expanding suburbs.

500 million isnt that much. US is a large place.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:27 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,689,690 times
if beautiful includes crumbling architecture, homeless people, racist, guns, natural disasters and highways ... no.. i say maybe denmark,sweden,iceland are nice for nature....for technology i'd say japan or singapore

Old 10-06-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Do you realize all those forests are relatively new. Almost the entire state of PA was completely cleared. The only original forests can be found in a few small state parks. Same for other eastern states. In the South the farmers wiped out the only native US parrots.

ExplorePAHistory.com - Stories from PA History

Not likely! America has been struggling with rural depopulation for several decades now. More than half our people live in only 150 counties (out of thousands) and that trend only strengthens with each passing decade. Our population grows but is increasingly concentrated on a small area.

And the native parrot that was in America back in colonial times is indeed gone but other parrots are making inroads and making at least Florida their home. Notably the Quaker Parrot. I actually found a flock of about ten of them outside my office last Spring and still have the picture I took on my phone.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
if beautiful includes crumbling architecture, homeless people, racist, guns, natural disasters and highways ... no.. i say maybe denmark,sweden,iceland are nice for nature....for technology i'd say japan or singapore
This thread is about natural beauty and your comment is extremely offensive. All the irrelevant things you mention are also found in Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Japan, and Singapore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World