Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the USA the most beautiful country in the world?
Yes 37 30.58%
No 84 69.42%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 10:38 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,341,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I think we have the proof this is a troll thread now. If you were really interested in natural beauty you would never had said that. You are a kid that knows nothing. Get back to us after you visit other countries.
Just to let you know, I have visited other countries. I have been to Canada, Netherlands, and Spain and I am 26. All were very pretty.

And I see you have nothing to say about the iguanas not dying but going into hibernation or the so called plants that you can grow in Australia and not in S. Florida.

Oh, and no cactus allowed! I'm sure Australia has countless cactus that can't be grown in S. Florida because of too much rain.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:38 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
just take different development path. urban infill instead of expanding suburbs.

500 million isnt that much. US is a large place.
Take a different path from what?

Urban Population Growth Now Exceeds Suburbia in USA - EVWORLD.COM

Old 10-06-2013, 10:48 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,610,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
then whats the problem

Old 10-06-2013, 10:49 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
then whats the problem
Not overpopulation I guess.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:08 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
If you include Alaska and Hawaii, it's very likely the most diverse country geographically speaking. But Chile and Argentina are also incredibly diverse, so ...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Savannah, GA claims to be the most beautiful city in America, and indeed I think it is. But many people would disagree with that.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:13 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Just to let you know, I have visited other countries. I have been to Canada, Netherlands, and Spain and I am 26. All were very pretty.

And I see you have nothing to say about the iguanas not dying but going into hibernation or the so called plants that you can grow in Australia and not in S. Florida.

Oh, and no cactus allowed! I'm sure Australia has countless cactus that can't be grown in S. Florida because of too much rain.

If you read other articles posted after the winter was over, yes S. Florida lost Iguanas. I have to wonder if you even are aware of what is going on in your region. Sure they are rebounding, but when we return to 1980's winters they will be gone for good.

Paws Here pets blog: Veterinarian advice | The Palm Beach Post » Blog Archive » Will eating dead iguanas hurt my dog?

From the article:

Question: My dog ate some of a dead iguana that was in my back yard. Is there anything that he can catch from eating it? — Chuck
Answer: Unfortunately, many iguanas died from the cold spell we had in January. Now many people have rotting iguana carcasses in their back yards or along canals or lakes where they walk their pets. Some dogs are inclined to eat these smelly “novelties.”

There were a lot of dead and dying iguanas right after the cold snap happened," said Jennifer Eckles, non-native wildlife biologist for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. "Certainly they disappeared from a lot of canals.

Read more on: http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-06-16/news/fl-iguana-comeback-20130614_1_iguanas-canals-south-florida

Oh and about the uber tropical plants, it took me about a minute to find one very quickly. I didn't even going over the many others listed on there. If you know anything about truly tropical climates, you will know that there are native plants and trees to lowland tropical climates like Malaysia that cannot take temps in the 40's for low temps. That is something Miami gets every year. The vast majority of true tropical lowland climates don't even go below 60F in winter. The record low in Honolulu is 59F. Compare that to 27F in Miami. 27F kills coconut palms, or at least severely damages them.

Red sealing wax palm

Allerton Garden Featured Plant: Red sealing wax palm
Native to the Malay Peninsula, southern Thailand, Borneo, and Sumatra, red sealing wax palms are also called lipstick palms, but their botanical name is Cyrtostachys renda. They are notoriously slow growers and are intolerant of even mildly cold temperatures (below 60F), but thrive in true tropical conditions, growing well in lowland swamps, tidal coastal areas, and along streams.

Want to see more information on this plant? Visit our Meet the Plants page at www.ntbg.org/plants/plant_details.php?plantid=3870

Last edited by Rozenn; 10-07-2013 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 10-06-2013, 11:17 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Not overpopulation I guess.

Have you noticed the large population growth all along the coasts of the US and inland from the coast being filled with retirement sprawl. The aging baby boomers are just getting started destroying the rest of the warm climate areas in the US. Time will tell.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:22 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
Not the best no

Old 10-06-2013, 11:24 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,341,250 times
Not a single thing that you posted or that I am reading on the internet says that palm tree can't survive temperatures in the 40s for a few hours on two or three nights a year. I am sure it would do just fine in South Florida. And the coconut palm trees are thriving last time I went down to Naples and South Beach. Most of them are probably older than me.

Most of those iguanas woke right back up when the sun came out. I can only imagine how numerous they have become now that we have had several years of heat in the winter. Your beloved 2010 year is an extreme outlier in Florida temps.

South Florida has a tropical climate bud! Be in denial all you want!

From South Beach

http://www.herndonfineart.com/images...outh_beach.jpg

Last edited by CravingMountains; 10-07-2013 at 12:16 AM..

Old 10-06-2013, 11:56 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,925,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I think some of the US's most beautiful landscapes are in the deserts. Like Arches/Zion/Bryce in Utah, Painted Desert in NM, Carlsbad Caverns, Joshua Tree NP, Death Valley, mountains in Nevada, AZ, CA.
I would agree with all that, i was swept away with the Arches/Zion/Bryce, also the sea of grass in Wyoming. I wouldn't really class Florida as Tropical.Malaysia and Indonesia is what i cal tropical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World