Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the USA the most beautiful country in the world?
Yes 37 30.58%
No 84 69.42%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 09:20 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
It's more the attitude of 'the US is the best country in the world, we're #1' which annoys people. Posters such as cali are the perfect example of this - he actually cited the US's military strength as one of the reasons why it is the best country, as if it has any bearing on the population (bar bragging rights).

But then, I find patriotism annoying. The Olympics and the Jubilee celebrations last year were almost too much for me.
Heck I find Australian patriotism at the Olympics annoying. Our TV coverage of the Olympics is like only of Australia.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:31 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,473,245 times
I don't think the US is the most beautiful country in the world but it is the most influential and most powerful. When I was a child I always wanted to live in the US. I've never been but I almost feel like I know nearly as much about the US as I do about the country I live in Australia and the country of my birth Ireland.

Nearly all the movies, TV series and books are set in the US. The Irish always had Halloween and St Patrick's Day but it was the US that made these global events. The US has enormous influence for good and bad in the world.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:32 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,340,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You are only scratching the surface with these. btw, Hainan Island is much more true tropical climate than south FL.
No its not. I bet temps there are even colder in Hainan than South Florida because it is surrounded by a colder body of water. But what about compared to Key West or Puerto Rico or Hawaii? Are those truly tropical enough for you?

Old 10-07-2013, 09:33 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,340,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
That's actually a photo of Mount Rainier and Hidden Lake in Washington State and not the Himalayas.

http://kathyscottlicensing.com/image..._WA_01-021.jpg
Haha! I typed in pictures of the Himalayan and that is what popped up. Good catch though!

Old 10-07-2013, 10:27 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
The English countryside is prettier than anything similar in the U.S., imo.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:40 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times
I have the feeling that people are forgetting that Alaska and Hawaii are a part of the US.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:51 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,884,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
It's more the attitude of 'the US is the best country in the world, we're #1' which annoys people. Posters such as cali are the perfect example of this - he actually cited the US's military strength as one of the reasons why it is the best country, as if it has any bearing on the population (bar bragging rights).

But then, I find patriotism annoying. The Olympics and the Jubilee celebrations last year were almost too much for me.
The thing is though. Alot of people in the UK in particular are probably richer than him. America has quite a large difference between rich and poor, if you are poor in america you are actually out on the streets were as here you have your own house. Might not be brilliant but it is a house.

America has its problems especially with illegal immigrants.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I don't think the US is the most beautiful country in the world but it is the most influential and most powerful. When I was a child I always wanted to live in the US. I've never been but I almost feel like I know nearly as much about the US as I do about the country I live in Australia and the country of my birth Ireland.

Nearly all the movies, TV series and books are set in the US. The Irish always had Halloween and St Patrick's Day but it was the US that made these global events. The US has enormous influence for good and bad in the world.
Don't know why anyone would say that. I would never say I wanted to live in a country when I have never been, I know alot of kids my age who say the same but they've actually never been to america and they probably think NYC etc is fantastic but it really isn't.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I prefer it stay open so the US can continue to lose badly this poll. Americans need to wake up to the fact they have been fed nothing but propaganda their whole lives about how "great" this country is. It is a lie. And this whole "we are the most beautiful", "we won WWII and saved your ass..", "we are the greatest cause we went to the moon", blah, blah, blah. Yet we are the worst in so many categories of quality of life it is sickening. And I hate to get political, but I can without a doubt guarantee you that if you polled those in the "USA greatest" crowd, the majority are right wing low info voters. This country has so many problems it is tough to decide where to start.
Straight from the mouth! Good on you for telling it how it is as an american. Maybe they will realise as time goes on how arrogant and naive they are!

Old 10-07-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I'm still trying to understand the logic that if an American says something positive about his own country then he is ignorant?
But everyone is to scared to answer.
You don't say something positive though you spew nonsense.

E.g. 'i'm proud to be american, my country is the best in the world'
E.g. 'america is better than india'.

That is arrogant, I don't mind someone saying something like 'we have a good health system' but when you go on and on about how 'lucky' you are etc it starts to get irritating.

TBH if america was really that good you wouldn't feel the need to keep telling us. I mean I am proud of where I'm from but I don't constantly go on and on about it. Ewgh.. it's a piece of compost.

Last edited by Rozenn; 10-07-2013 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: Rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World