Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 11:32 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,780,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
People do look on other peoples' appearance and clothing, both male and female. You may not notice it, but they do. There's a difference between Finland and Italy for example, but people do it everywhere in Europe...
I must have caused a few heads to turn last year when I road a bicycle from Rome to visit Ostia Antica. There I was, in my lycra cycling kit walking around the ruins taking snapshots and being awed by the majesty of a Roman working seaport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 11:53 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,517,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Speaking of the Middle East, are Americans, Britons and Australians particularly targeted in countries like Jordan, Egypt, Iran.etc because of their involvement in the Afghanistan and Iraq wars?
That and the extremist hate western culture

Old 12-31-2013, 12:26 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,391,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Speaking of the Middle East, are Americans, Britons and Australians particularly targeted in countries like Jordan, Egypt, Iran.etc because of their involvement in the Afghanistan and Iraq wars?
I personally think the war is pointless and the governments are involving themselves for power and greed rather than "war on terrorism" if you want to stop terrorism address the problem and get out of the middle east!

Old 12-31-2013, 12:33 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,104,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What does "great dental work" even mean? Dental work isn't visible. Does it mean straight teeth? Lots of nationalities in the developed world have straight teeth. How would Brazilians know the difference between Canadians and Americans just by their teeth?!
They wouldn't. We receive great dental work here in Canada too!

The reason I can always spot a yank abroad is due to them being the friendliest nationality on Earth. When I was in Dublin, Americans were the nationality I spoke to most after the Irish themselves. They are far more outgoing and friendly than any Europeans I have met, and far better behaved than the Latino tourists I encountered in Cuba.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:11 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,407,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
That and the extremist hate western culture
At least that's what our machine feeds to us daily.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I personally think the war is pointless and the governments are involving themselves for power and greed rather than "war on terrorism" if you want to stop terrorism address the problem and get out of the middle east!
Ugh, Americans love to over use the word war. You can't have a war on terrorism, it's a tactic not a foe. We declared war on drugs, it got us more drugs. We declared war on obesity and we're just getting fatter. Maybe they should declare a war on jobs.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:23 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,517,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
At least that's what our machine feeds to us daily.
Assuming these guys are actors for Daily Mail...
Anjem Choudary and Islamic extremists set up Sharia law zones in UK cities | Mail Online

Old 12-31-2013, 01:50 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,912,158 times
Americans dress according to their class, for the most part. Class determines where Americans live so to compare a NYer who grew up in Connecticut and lives in Manhattan to a tourist from Utah or Wisconsin is like comparing apples to oranges. Urbanists don't live the same way suburban types live. I have a suburban friend who dresses horribly, eats at chain restaurants while on vacation and likes to go site seeing without taking in local culture. Most of my friends do not look like my suburban friend or live like her. We are city people. There are huge differences between Americans. I have family on Oahu and growing up with my cousins was fun making fun of the European tourists with socks and Birkenstock sandals. It's all in fun.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:51 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,391,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Ugh, Americans love to over use the word war. You can't have a war on terrorism, it's a tactic not a foe. We declared war on drugs, it got us more drugs. We declared war on obesity and we're just getting fatter. Maybe they should declare a war on jobs.
Its not just America but Britain too.

The war on Afghanistan, Iraq etc is pointless there's no threat of war from these countries.

How many of you on here realise that the media and our governments are corrupt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Scare mongering.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Americans dress according to their class, for the most part. Class determines where Americans live so to compare a NYer who grew up in Connecticut and lives in Manhattan to a tourist from Utah or Wisconsin is like comparing apples to oranges. Urbanists don't live the same way suburban types live. I have a suburban friend who dresses horribly, eats at chain restaurants while on vacation and likes to go site seeing without taking in local culture. Most of my friends do not look like my suburban friend or live like her. We are city people. There are huge differences between Americans. I have family on Oahu and growing up with my cousins was fun making fun of the European tourists with socks and Birkenstock sandals. It's all in fun.
Good points. There is a tendency for non Americans to not understand how different Americans really are from one place to another. To them, it's one country one in the same people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World