Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 03:17 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
hahaha, wow, ZINGGG!

Not to mention, a certain history of terrorist acts in certain communities in the South.

Happy New Year, Gentoo.
+1 Happy New Year Ruth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 04:15 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
But why are these terrorist attacks happening?

They're certainly not unprovoked.
Because terrorist are violent people, you can make a political point by blowing sh-t up and killing innocent people but don't expect us to just sit back and let them get away with it.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
No it isn't scare mongering because the people in this country are not villainized in the same way.

Also, if we use your logic then white men need to be looked at the same way as the biggest terror attack on US soil prior to 9/11 was done by two white men in Oklahoma City. You seriously can't see the double standard here?
So no one "villanized" McVeigh and Lanza?

Old 12-31-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Speaking of terrorist attacks, there was one just this week in a train station in southern Russia, perhaps a warning of what could happen during the Olympic Games in Sochi.

Happy New Year, everyone!
Nope, its okay its just "scare mongering"

Old 12-31-2013, 04:35 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Because terrorist are violent people, you can make a political point by blowing sh-t up and killing innocent people but don't expect us to just sit back and let them get away with it.
Okay now try and imagine you live in Iraq. You're attacked and your family and children are killed by a country that is claiming that your country has weapons of mass destruction ( that didn't exist ) and was responsible for 9/11
( which we all know is not true ).
Who do you think, they think the terrorists are this time?

This post is in NO WAY SUPPORTING TERRORISM OF ANY KIND OR MAKING EXCUSES FOR IT, JUST AKSING THE QUESTION.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Americans dress according to their class, for the most part. Class determines where Americans live so to compare a NYer who grew up in Connecticut and lives in Manhattan to a tourist from Utah or Wisconsin is like comparing apples to oranges. Urbanists don't live the same way suburban types live. I have a suburban friend who dresses horribly, eats at chain restaurants while on vacation and likes to go site seeing without taking in local culture. Most of my friends do not look like my suburban friend or live like her. We are city people. There are huge differences between Americans. I have family on Oahu and growing up with my cousins was fun making fun of the European tourists with socks and Birkenstock sandals. It's all in fun.
My husband and I live in the suburbs in East Texas. When we visit foreign countries, we don't act at all like your "suburban friend." In fact, even in the US, when we're traveling we avoid chain restaurants as much as possible.

I hate stereotypes.

But the socks and sandals on so many Europeans ARE funny.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:58 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,871,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My husband and I live in the suburbs in East Texas. When we visit foreign countries, we don't act at all like your "suburban friend." In fact, even in the US, when we're traveling we avoid chain restaurants as much as possible.

I hate stereotypes.

But the socks and sandals on so many Europeans ARE funny.
I'm a coastal urbanite left-of-liberal, but I still bristle at these sweeping generalizations of "suburbanites." I've met many well-traveled, inquisitive, thoughtful, and insightful suburbanites, at the same time that I've met many ignorant, arrogant, xenophobic, and judgmental city-dwellers. The sort of neighborhood that a person lives in isn't always an accurate indicator of who that person actually is.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Okay now try and imagine you live in Iraq. You're attacked and your family and children are killed by a country that is claiming that your country has weapons of mass destruction ( that didn't exist ) and was responsible for 9/11
( which we all know is not true ).
Who do you think, they think the terrorists are this time?

This post is in NO WAY SUPPORTING TERRORISM OF ANY KIND OR MAKING EXCUSES FOR IT, JUST AKSING THE QUESTION.
US and allies overthrew the Ba'athist dictatorship (which was huge threat to the world) .

We don't go around hijacking airplanes, killing innocent people, bombing the public transportation systems and setting up car bombs in (for example) Russia because we don't agree with there government/culture .

Old 12-31-2013, 05:21 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,387,502 times
Quote:
US and allies overthrew the Ba'athist dictatorship (which was huge threat to the world) .

We don't go around hijacking airplanes, killing innocent people, bombing the public transportation systems and setting up car bombs in (for example) Russia because we don't agree with there government/culture .
But innocent people are getting killed in the middle East too doesn't that matter? Are their lives lesser than ours in the west? Do you really think the war in the middle east is justified? Shouldn't the west just mind its own business?
Why are you so brainwashed? Not all Arabians are terrorist... Wouldn't you be angry if another country decided to rage war on america for 10 years and kill your neighbour, your mother and countless others and justify it as helping? Wouldn't you?

Old 12-31-2013, 05:27 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times
Quote:

The U.S took the lead role in the overthrow of Saddam Hussein and his government.. If it didn't the war would simply have not happened. The threat of Iraq's WMD were wildly overstated and ultimately didn't exist. Hans Blix made this very clear to the world but the U.S and its allies in that war (Namely Britain) paid no mind. Ultimately Blix would be proven correct.

You say the U.S does not engage in the killing of innocent people - how many innocent Iraqi's lost their lives as a result of the 2003 War and subsequent years of the invasion? 128,000!! Your words are of little comfort or meaning to those dead and their families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World