Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities do you prefer & seem more interesting?
Canadian cities 54 48.21%
Nordic cities 58 51.79%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 12:33 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
You might get a nice, convenient suburb with high car usage, but I don't think you get as appealing city with most people driving. A city with few people walking feels rather dead, and going past strip malls and parking lots isn't interesting.

As for the first two Canadian view, you picked some rather bland example. As for the bolded, where do you get that idea? You can find plenty of low density neighborhoods in Nordic suburbs, but of course not near the city center, why should there be? That wouldn't be variety. Appears to be Stockholm proper, looks more attractive than that Toronto burb IMO with the greenery and less of a wide concrete look:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Stock...,,0,-5.33&z=14

rather low density suburbia of Stockholm:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Stock...2,158,,0,-7.43

I could keep going. If anything suburbia in the Scandivinian countries might be less dense than Canadian suburbs. The cities are denser and less car friendly. But that's more variety, so seems like a good deal all around.

Copenhagen suburbs:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Copen...,9.43,,0,-6.67
Those are low dense suburbs but do not match up to Canadian standards, they are still clearly more dense, smaller homes, roads are very narrow and they don't have that open feel you have in a Canadian suburb.

I agree with you that there is a variety in nordic cities but i believe the varities are more extreme in canadian cities.

Vancouver has neighborhoods that can easily compete or even beat Nordic cities in walkability and density, and Vancouvers suburbs are far more open and spread out compared to Nordic suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 12:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Those are low dense suburbs but do not match up to Canadian standards, they are still clearly more dense, smaller homes, roads are very narrow and they don't have that open feel you have in a Canadian suburb.
The houses are somewhat smaller, it doesn't look that different in density, only the first one looks dense. The houses in your Canadian views were very close together, closer than the Scandivian. I'm not sure why you'd want wide road on a residential side street, would just allow people to speed through your neighborhood. They both seem car friendly. What so good about being open? I feel like I'm just looking at a wide road plus a blank piece of grass, the Scandivian ones look more natural, the middle almost like being a forest. Isn't feeling like you're like a natural setting the main benefit of suburbia over a big city? And the Danish one still seems rather open.

The really walkable Vancouver areas are generally close to downtown, no more than half of the city.

This Boston suburban street doesn't look any more open than the Scandinivian one (mainly the middle link):

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=newto...63.81,,0,-8.19

and maybe even this one:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Winch...8.78,,0,-20.67

Old 08-28-2014, 12:48 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
A lot of the suburbs of Nordic cities I have seen (on StreetView or in person) are almost similar to a lot of the ''exurbia" here.

http://goo.gl/maps/kIZ3R

What is commonly referred to as suburbia is actually reasonably dense here:

http://goo.gl/maps/Hj92w

Old 08-28-2014, 12:54 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Yeah suburbs in Canada and the Northeast are pretty dense compared to here in the Midwest.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yeah suburbs in Canada and the Northeast are pretty dense compared to here in the Midwest.
Eh. New England has a lot of variety. A lot of the outer suburbs are very low density. Minneapolis' urban area (built area) is denser than Boston, even though Boston central areas are much denser, the outer parts are lower density.

List of United States urban areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's just that the style here, in both denser and less suburbs tend a bit less to the open Midwestern look and more in surrounding your house with lots of trees, and just less unifom.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:08 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
I forgot to mention but a main difference between the forested exurban-style suburbia of the Nordics and the first example I posted of Quebec exurbia, is those village centres I was talking about, and how close they are.

That place I posted is considered commutable to central Gatineau and Ottawa, but the closest place you can buy a carton of milk to those houses is almost 10 km away! That's not usually the case anywhere in the outskirts of a largish city in the Nordics. At least that's the impression I have.

That typical Gatineau suburbia I posted with only 1-2 metres between the houses would obviously be a lot closer to at least some basic services like a school, a small after-hours grocery store (dépanneur), public transit stops, etc. They're close to being just around the corner.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I forgot to mention but a main difference between the forested exurban-style suburbia of the Nordics and the first example I posted of Quebec exurbia, is those village centres I was talking about, and how close they are.
Could any post streetviews of these Nordic suburban centers? I had trouble finding much in Copenhagen suburbs. Just some wide commercial roads and scattered boxy stores. Not really pedestrian hostile, but not that nice looking, either.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:27 PM

230 posts, read 330,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Canadian cities have more of a summer than Nordic cities. Also, they are further south which means the winter isn't as dark. They also have a much cheaper cost of living.

Nordic cities may be fun to visit, but it's much more comfortable and convenient in Canada.
Here ^^^^

Old 08-28-2014, 02:31 PM

230 posts, read 330,480 times
Quote:
You might get a nice, convenient suburb with high car usage, but I don't think you get as appealing city with most people driving. A city with few people walking feels rather dead, and going past strip malls and parking lots isn't interesting.

As for the first two Canadian view, you picked some rather bland example. As for the bolded, where do you get that idea? You can find plenty of low density neighborhoods in Nordic suburbs, but of course not near the city center, why should there be? That wouldn't be variety. Appears to be Stockholm proper, looks more attractive than that Toronto burb IMO with the greenery and less of a wide concrete look:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Stock...,,0,-5.33&z=14

rather low density suburbia of Stockholm:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Stock...2,158,,0,-7.43

I could keep going. If anything suburbia in the Scandivinian countries might be less dense than Canadian suburbs. The cities are denser and less car friendly. But that's more variety, so seems like a good deal all around.

Copenhagen suburbs:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Copen...,9.43,,0,-6.67
Sorry but North American suburbs are much much nicer than Nordic and Europeans in general; both the beautiful homes, amazing landscaping, spacious yards and bigger roads.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:43 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Yea, I didn't mean to suggest that was the case throughout the summer. I think my photos were of Kiltsano Beach. How warm did the water temperatures reach this year? My photos were taken late July 2011, I was told the mountains wouldn't normally have snow on them that time of year.
Yes the last photo was of Kitsilano. The mountains do not normally have snow on them in July. You may see snow on The Lions, the two peaks above Vancouver, but not on the ski hills.
Even up in Whistler, the village itself gets hotter than Vancouver in summer and the ski hills are used for mountain biking. However you can get up higher to some snow there in summer.

Today, which is slightly cloudy the sea temperature is 13.3 C or 56 F. Not tropical by any means, but definitely swimmable ….and many people do.

Last edited by Natnasci; 08-28-2014 at 03:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World