Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 12:28 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times

Advertisements

Answering the original OP'a question

For me it's the USA since I've been going there forever and have many wonderful memories.

I also have a BFF relationship with The Netherlands, France and England.

Mexico is for when I'm cheating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 12:30 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Is that right?
https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...-and-Card.html

No. This is only another kind of passport in my opinion, to smooth the life of people who live close borders and travel a lot within these countries filling their passport book quickly. The National ID card or drive license card we use for enter in neighbor countries is the same that every citizen has since was born for use inside the country for legal identification. May be used in travels by air too.
Passports are a form of legal identification in the US but you are also correct that it is another (downgraded) form of passport. Official ID cards and driver licenses are under state jurisdiction.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:32 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm confused. I thought you wanted answers to "I'm not asking about your countries friends or aquaintances, but if you have a special and sometimes unconditional relation to another country"

All the answers don't seem to be personal but political.
Yes, and I still want them. It's not my fault that the thread derailed temporarily.

Fabio said Argentina is Brazil's brother, and that means essentially BFF's. And I temporarily forgot the unique US-UK relationship. That's pretty much all the information gained on this thread.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:36 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
Quote:
Is that right?
https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...-and-Card.html

No. This is only another kind of passport in my opinion, to smooth the life of people who live close borders and travel a lot within these countries filling their passport book quickly. The National ID card or drive license card we use for enter in neighbor countries is the same that every citizen has since was born for use inside the country for legal identification. May be used in travels by air too.
I didn't suggest it wasn't a passport also, after all I referred to it as a passport card.

We don't have a national ID card other than that though. Social Security cards don't have your picture on them - those are what we get when we're born. Seeing as the states, who issue driver's licenses, don't all follow the same criteria for issuance and some haven't met the federal standard re the Real ID Act (and considering the sometimes draconian security crackdowns post 9/11), the passport card serves the purpose now.

I've used it for ID within the states to buy alcohol and it's worked just fine. It is true that you have to pay and go out of your way to get one.

Added for the OP - Mine would be Mexico. In the 1950's my grandfather was a commie (the not getting paid enough and talking over schnapps kind not the take over the world kind) and when the land of the free started cracking down on commies his family had to leave the US. Mexico took us in no questions and they led a wonderful life there. I never lived there, though I've travelled there quite a bit, but there will be a place in my heart for Mexico and Mexicans, always.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Is really necessary passport between Americans and Canadians? I think it would be like South America or Europe. For example Brazilians may pass within borders with Argentina, Uruguay, Chile and others only with the national identification card.

Nowadays (since 80’s years) Brazil and Argentina are best friends although big rivalry in sports specially in soccer.
Canada does not require a US citizen to have a passport to enter Canada. HOWEVER, since the US requires their citizens to have a passport( or proper documentation ) to re-enter the US, Canadian border guards do make sure that these Americans do have the proper documents to get back home easily.

All air travel between the two countries require passports though.

Some provinces and states offer an Enhanced Driver's License instead of a passport to cross the border as well.

Overall, it's just easier to have a passport.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, and I still want them. It's not my fault that the thread derailed temporarily.

Fabio said Argentina is Brazil's brother, and that means essentially BFF's. And I temporarily forgot the unique US-UK relationship. That's pretty much all the information gained on this thread.
Well my last post is a derailed one as well

Old 05-23-2016, 12:44 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
I completely misunderstood the point of the thread I guess.

For me, it would be Mexico.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:49 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I completely misunderstood the point of the thread I guess.

For me, it would be Mexico.
I thought you had it right the first time. What are your reasons for choosing Mexico?

Now I'm confused.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:04 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Historically for Portugal I would list 3 UK, Brazil, and the US.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:05 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I thought you had it right the first time. What are your reasons for choosing Mexico?

Now I'm confused.
Gentoo is quite the master on irony sometimes. Challenges me too once in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World