Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 01:46 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,299,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selen View Post
No logic 101 would dictate they recognized Kosovo to spite Russia who supports Serbia.
Oh so the West recognizes 57 Muslim nations and have just recognized a 58th, Kosovo, but wouldn't recognize Palestine because it's Muslim? Yeah that's perfectly logical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 01:48 PM

400 posts, read 293,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Oh so the West recognizes 57 Muslim nations and have just recognized a 58th, Kosovo, but wouldn't recognize Palestine because it's Muslim? Yeah that's perfectly logical.
Did you even read the first 5 pages of this topic? Do you even know what I’m talking about?

Old 11-03-2017, 02:00 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,933,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Amazing how most of the countries that don't recognize Israel predominantly follow the religion of peace.
There are various Muslim countries that recognize Israel such as Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Egypt, Jordan, Bosnia, and Kosovo.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Did you even read the first 5 pages of this topic? Do you even know what I’m talking about?
I know enough not to care.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I know enough not to care.
Good for you.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:06 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,499,914 times
Quote:
I very much doubt that. Let me repeat the question I asked milkyway resident earlier. Would North America, Western Europe and Australia recognize Palestine if it was a Christian majority country? Oh also Turkey is a secular country in its constitution similar to France unlike US where the president swears on bible. Even though Turkey’s secularity is under attack by Islamists who have been supported by the west for years.
Sorry for the late reply, I was busy.

Like some other posters mentioned, western countries recognize nearly every Muslim country. As to what would happen had Palestine been predominantly Christian, that's hard to say, as it would change the dynamics of the region. A predominantly Christian Palestine would likely get along with Israel a lot better than it currently does. Western recognition of Palestine is primarily concerned with how that country deals with Israel.

I do believe that Turkey's more secular nature played a role in its earlier recognition of Israel. Yes, I do believe that religion plays a crucial role in the matter. How else do you explain why Pakistan, Bangladesh, Malaysia and Indonesia completely refuse to acknowledge it? None of those are Arabic countries, so its definitely not an ethnic conflict in nature. The few Arab countries that have signed deals with Israel like Egypt and Jordan have done so after several conflicts.

Turkey and Iran (before the revolution) were the odds one out, but even back then Iran did not want to let Israel get into the the UN.

I'm not sure why the position of Muslim countries is so hard to understand, given that the reason for their boycott comes from what they label as "Israel's occupation of the Holy Land". In fact, it even says so in some of the participating countries passports.

Old 11-04-2017, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Sorry for the late reply, I was busy.

Like some other posters mentioned, western countries recognize nearly every Muslim country. As to what would happen had Palestine been predominantly Christian, that's hard to say, as it would change the dynamics of the region. A predominantly Christian Palestine would likely get along with Israel a lot better than it currently does. Western recognition of Palestine is primarily concerned with how that country deals with Israel.

I do believe that Turkey's more secular nature played a role in its earlier recognition of Israel. Yes, I do believe that religion plays a crucial role in the matter. How else do you explain why Pakistan, Bangladesh, Malaysia and Indonesia completely refuse to acknowledge it? None of those are Arabic countries, so its definitely not an ethnic conflict in nature. The few Arab countries that have signed deals with Israel like Egypt and Jordan have done so after several conflicts.

Turkey and Iran (before the revolution) were the odds one out, but even back then Iran did not want to let Israel get into the the UN.

I'm not sure why the position of Muslim countries is so hard to understand, given that the reason for their boycott comes from what they label as "Israel's occupation of the Holy Land". In fact, it even says so in some of the participating countries passports.
I am afraid this is going to turn into an endless thread like Ukraine and I have no intention of doing so as it is obvious you seem to have a firm but I’m afraid rather naive belief that whatever US, Western Europe and Australia does has no base in religion or self interests but only based on their unconditional love for poor Israel. I have nothing against Israel, I have very close Jewish friends I love. But to use this conflict as a way to prove the point that Muslims are supposedly blinded by religion and West is all rationality and good hearts is ludicrous.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:38 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Finland, Norway and Denmark are ready to recognise Palestina one second after a permanent peace treaty is signed between Israel and Palestina.

I believe this is the case with most European countries. Nothing to do with religion, everything to do with putting down the arms on both sides.

Selen, read here and notice that Israel has many times said the EU is way too pro Palestine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel...nion_relations
OK,,, but do they recognize Israel without such a peace treaty?

Old 11-04-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
OK,,, but do they recognize Israel without such a peace treaty?
Israel was recognized in 1948 before the first Arab-Israeli war and has been a UN member state ever since. A few things have happened since then -- you may have heard -- the Arabs didn't establish their own state in the West Bank, waged a number of wars against Israel and as a result Israel has been controlling that territory for 50 years. Given this state of affairs, and the requirements of the relevant UN resolutions ('land for peace'), many countries have reasonably concluded that recognizing Palestine without a peace agreement with Israel -- thereby rewarding the Palestinians with a state without asking for any compromises in return -- will not be conducive to the resolution of the conflict and long term peace in the region. THAT's the reason for why most western nations are withholding recognition, not anything having to do with religion.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:44 AM

I’m sure the 40 billion$ aid package US signed to give Israel last year was also for the resolution of the conflict and long term peace in the region. US is such a generous country really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World