Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 07:02 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I agree with this. New York is perhaps the least typical American city.
It's kind of ironic, because New York is the quintessential American city and the headquarters of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 03:06 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It's kind of ironic, because New York is the quintessential American city and the headquarters of the world.
I think Chicago is probably a better candidate for this.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:06 AM

827 posts, read 865,676 times
Nowadays there are very few people living in a real hot steamy jungle in South America. It's more like hot steamy cities with almost no jungle left.

This is Manaus, for example. More than half of the Amazon state's population live there.

There are already 10 shopping malls in the city. I bet the inhabitants wouldn't survive for more than a few days if they were lost in the jungle, LOL.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:07 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,725,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Obviously none of these people live in actual "hot steamy jungles", but totally urbanized cities, which I guess it is clear for everyone. However, if we count cities and towns built on areas which used to be tropical rainforests or that have the typical "hot steamy jungle" climate, the list must be expanded, and the amount of total population is much larger. You must count, for instance, big cities like Salvador, Fortaleza, Recife... even Rio de Janeiro may be considered. The place was once part of the Atlantic forest and has a fully tropical climate. I know there are awful stereotypes everywhere that are often enhanced and ridiculed, but it's not like the wet tropical environments are secondary in South America. It's just that there are still many other natural environments and climates that are also widespread.
Not really, I take your point about Salvador, Fortaleza and Recife; Rio being borderline. However, this may be common in Brazil but its not really all that common in the rest of South America. Just because Europe and most American states have decimated practically all their forests, especially around urban areas, doesn't mean that as soon as they see green they automatically think jungle.

I've seen tourists be in towns and cities in the Andes surrounded by Colombian Oak, Rosemary Pine and Laso Pine forests and say "what a beautiful jungle but it doesn't look like the jungle I envisioned" - it's quite funny. You get this a lot from Argentinian travellers also who are also in the top 10 of most deforested countries on the planet.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:11 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It is Ironic because it is the only American city of it's kind. To me, quintessential suggests the more typical or perfect example. Unless San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas and San Diego are more like NYC than they are not, I would say those are the quintessential American cities.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:22 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,928,100 times
Quote:
It is Ironic because it is the only American city of it's kind. To me, quintessential suggests the more typical or perfect example. Unless San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas and San Diego are more like NYC than they are not, I would say those are the quintessential American cities.
Ok well how about show us a street view image of something in NYC that can not be found anywhere else in the US.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:40 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Ok well how about show us a street view image of something in NYC that can not be found anywhere else in the US.
Why does that matter?

Old 12-12-2017, 08:44 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,928,100 times
Quote:
Why does that matter?
to show proof, so far everyone is just shouting out facts with out any proof, if you show me a place in NYC that I won't be able to find anything remotely similar in any other city then I will agree that NYC is the MOST out of place city in the US. And why google streetview, well so that I know where the photo was taken and so I know there was no photo shop involved.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:30 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,725,678 times
A lot of people from Bogota and the Cundi-Boyacense Andean plateau are of largely British & Irish ancestry more-so even than Spanish ancestry on their European half. This comes from the near 10,000 British & Irish mercenaries that fought for Colombian independence from Spain in the early 1800's. This is another factor that separates Bogota and the Cundi-Boyacense plateau from the rest of Colombia.

Some pictures of the British-style quarters of Bogota...

Bogota la Merced by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Chapinero, Bogota by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Chapinero, Bogota by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Chapinero_Teusaquillo by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Windsor Estelar, bogota by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Teusaquillo DSCN1990 a by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Teusaquillo cuadra inglesa by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Old 12-12-2017, 11:36 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,627,623 times
For U.S., maybe New Orleans. Even then...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World