Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 08:32 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You're basing your opinion of what goes on in the US from a scene in a film? Not recommended.
But I am NOT basing my opinion on the film, I only use this as an example. I've even read threads on here concerning this particular subject - wasn't it on this forum I once came across an American thread titled something like 'Are Spanish people considered 'white'!' I nearly fell off my chair!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 09:27 AM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
But I am NOT basing my opinion on the film, I only use this as an example. I've even read threads on here concerning this particular subject - wasn't it on this forum I once came across an American thread titled something like 'Are Spanish people considered 'white'!' I nearly fell off my chair!
The Spanish population in America is not that big. Most Americans confuse Spanish with Hispanic.

The Hispanic population in America is mostly mestizo or brown.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:39 PM

14,319 posts, read 11,714,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The Spanish population in America is not that big. Most Americans confuse Spanish with Hispanic.

Yes. Most Americans know few to no actual Spaniards, but in many areas, the "Spanish"(-speaking) population is huge and mainly Mexican/Central American. The Mexicans and Central Americans who come here tend to be mestizo (mixed, with a large percentage of indigenous Native American. Indigenous Native Americans are not white.)

It's not too surprising, under the circumstances, that many Americans conflate "Spanish" and "Hispanic"--words that appear, on the surface, to have a very similar meaning. You can view that as an example of American ignorance, or you can consider that it goes both ways and that although many Europeans are familiar with Spaniards, they have little to no experience with Central Americans.

Last edited by saibot; 08-14-2019 at 06:52 PM..

Old 08-15-2019, 01:43 AM

Quote:

You are kind of making my point here, what you call hispanic people are white! Well they are everywhere on the planet EXCEPT in the US, in fact I'm not entirely sure what hispanic is exactly, the family on the film I saw were whiter than me! To hear them claim they are somehow 'not white' was dead weird. Can anybody help me with the name of the film?

Old 08-15-2019, 06:52 AM

391 posts, read 196,564 times
Hispanic vs Latino.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispan...naming_dispute

Old 08-15-2019, 07:38 AM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You are kind of making my point here, what you call hispanic people are white! Well they are everywhere on the planet EXCEPT in the US, in fact I'm not entirely sure what hispanic is exactly, the family on the film I saw were whiter than me! To hear them claim they are somehow 'not white' was dead weird. Can anybody help me with the name of the film?
A minority of Hispanic Americans have a white complexion because most of their ancestors came from Europe.

However, the great majority of Hispanic Americans are not white. Their ancestors are predominantly Amerindian and sometimes from other parts of the world like Africa or Asia.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:22 AM

14,319 posts, read 11,714,153 times
Quote:
However, the great majority of Hispanic Americans are not white. Their ancestors are predominantly Amerindian and sometimes from other parts of the world like Africa or Asia.
Correct. I don't know why this is hard to understand. Hispanic is not a race, of course, and Hispanic (Spanish-speaking) people can be any race. But just because someone in another country saw a film with a fair-skinned Hispanic American does not mean the majority of Hispanic Americans are white.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:34 PM

9,366 posts, read 14,319,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMilligan's Alter Ego View Post
In spite of what wiki or anybody else says (and who the hell are these people anyway?), I've always considered latino the language and tribal grouping from the hills around and in Rome.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:59 AM

1,877 posts, read 678,419 times
Whereas Hispanic should be people from Hispania no?

Old 08-16-2019, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Correct. I don't know why this is hard to understand. Hispanic is not a race, of course, and Hispanic (Spanish-speaking) people can be any race. But just because someone in another country saw a film with a fair-skinned Hispanic American does not mean the majority of Hispanic Americans are white.
Of course they are! Good lord how 'white' do you have to be exactly to actually be, you know, white!! lol. Quick question here........I have a Spanish side to my family am I to consider them.........white!?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_G

This guy created a comedy character based on this ridiculous 'new' notion about not being white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World