Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 12:52 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,417,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
Yeah, save their original store in Nob Hill and a single Satellite directly across from UNM (which would do fine even if they put an elevated viaduct down Central), Flying Star doesn't even operate any restaurants in the Central corridor anymore. They pretty much cleared out of anywhere near the proposed route well before anyone was even talking about ART.

I have qualms about ART too - at least in its current configuration - but don't kid yourself that the Free Press is anything approaching an unbiased voice on the subject. For whatever reason they (and one extremely libertarian reporter/editor in particular) have an axe to grind about ART and this has been apparent since their very first coverage of the proposal. This despite their own poll which showed their readership supported and opposed ART in almost equal measure...
I used to hang out at the Satellite across from UNM quite a bit until a year ago, and heard from my buddies who still go there that it has emptied out a lot since then. And I didn't take up much space.

Anyway-- I never claimed that ABQ Free Press was an "unbiased voice". I just avoid the Albuquerque Journal as much as possible and don't even know-- does the Journal support Berry's ART or are they against it? I would expect any conservative-leaning paper to oppose public transit projects like this but don't know if they have taken a stand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 01:24 PM

150 posts, read 253,800 times
While I agree that transit dollars would be more effectively spent expanding existing service, I don't see that as a reason to oppose this project. As others have mentioned it's not likely we're going to get the Feds to pay for 85% of incremental improvements. Meanwhile, while I agree that if I were a business owner on the very small portion of Central between Girard and Carlisle – the most prime shopping area – I may have nothing to gain from improved transit on Central. Few of my clientele are coming from East Central, so it's all downside risk for me. But what about the many more businesses and communities on Central that are East of Carlisle? All of Albuquerque will benefit if that area improves because it is still a central and denser part of town – and more viable for transit oriented development than other parts of town – and carries the potential for Route 66 branding.

Seems to me the best way forward is to find a way to sweeten the deal for businesses between Carlisle and Girard, whether it's parking or beautification for something else that would give business owners they confidence that they would benefit from the project.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:23 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Default ART now Electric?!

New headline in today's Journal: Mayorion Berry is close to inking the deal with an electric bus manufacturer.

While I like electric buses much more than stinky diesel or CNG offerings, the ever-skeptical journalists at the journal seem to have left out one minor niggling detail:

Who's paying for the bus power lines, and what will those make ART end up looking like?

A web of black cables suspended above the street kinda make it feel like you're in a cage. Nothing like those blue skies for tourism.

Ultracapacitor-driven buses like those in Shanghai don't need lines with brushes- at every scheduled stop they have a sort of "electric umbrella" where the few seconds it's docked are more than enough to give it enough juice to make it to the next umbrella. I bet those would even be cheaper than putting up new power poles every 20 feet along Central. They've had flywheel-driven buses in Europe for nearly a century using the same principle.

Also, for whatever reason, in San Francisco, conventional electric buses always seem to be breaking down, be it from power line failures or whatever. You'd figure there's fewer moving parts but the uptime for Albuquerque's fossil buses is actually quite good.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:43 AM

520 posts, read 611,691 times
Are you sure it's going to be a trolleybus with electric wires? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolleybus

I haven't looked into this much, but the article suggests it will be this BYD electric bus running on batteries: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BYD_electric_bus

Old 07-13-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
Are you sure it's going to be a trolleybus with electric wires? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolleybus

I haven't looked into this much, but the article suggests it will be this BYD electric bus running on batteries: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BYD_electric_bus
Right you are.

Looks like they've been testing battery-electric buses for the #40/D-Ride for some time.

Still would've been nice to get some further detail from the journal article ruling out the overhead wires.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:07 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Who's paying for the bus power lines, and what will those make ART end up looking like?

A web of black cables suspended above the street kinda make it feel like you're in a cage. Nothing like those blue skies for tourism.
They appear to be battery powered buses... But not yet developed (yet)..

Some pictures and some details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BYD_Auto

Old 07-13-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
They appear to be battery powered buses... But not yet developed (yet)..

Some pictures and some details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BYD_Auto
Looks like they use Lithium-Iron-Phosphate Batteries and should be assembled in Lancaster, California at BYD's new plant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BYD_electric_bus

Old 07-13-2016, 04:15 PM

134 posts, read 189,062 times
As someone who is seriously considering a move to ABQ I can tell you that your city would be many times more exciting a prospect (and I AM already excited about it), if there was a serious discussion taking place about building a light rail network there, instead of an impasse about speeding up an existing bus route. I don't mean to over simplify the issues, but this is the kind of thing potential future residents like myself would love to see.

Ive seen light rail referenced a few times on this thread but get the impression it has never been under serious consideration. If that's true, why not? Is it not wanted by residents or has it been ruled out by government? One poster mentioned that a study had taken place some years ago but never built upon. Has there ever been pressure from residents to explore the possibility of light rail more, or is it just not a 'thing"?

When I look at ABQ I see a relatively flat, relatively compact city with distinct districts (for want of a better word) that could benefit from being connected to each other - and of course connected to Downtown and Central. I see an obvious hub at the Alvarado Transportation Center. I rode the LA Metro light rail system earlier this year and it is quite beautifully designed in parts, with rights of way carved out in the face of some interesting topography. I can imagine something similar in ABQ.

Anyway, I'm an outsider and I'm here to ask and learn. Why no hard push for light rail in ABQ? Why fight over an imperfect, partial transit solution like ART instead?

Last edited by alisonrs; 07-13-2016 at 04:38 PM..

Old 07-13-2016, 04:20 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonrs View Post
As someone who is seriously considering a move to ABQ I can tell you that your city would be many times more exciting a prospect (and I AM already excited about it), if there was a serious discussion taking place about building a light rail network there, instead of an impasse about speeding up an existing bus route. I don't mean to over simplify the issues, but this is the kind of thing potential future residents like myself would love to see.
Light rail has been discussed at length here as well as by city... Here are the threads:

Light Rail in Albuquerque!
Poll Light rail and transportation alternatives for Albuquerque
Poll Poll - Streetcar, Light Rail, or Monorail?

Old 07-13-2016, 04:41 PM

134 posts, read 189,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Light rail has been discussed at length here as well as by city... Here are the threads:
Light Rail in Albuquerque!
Poll Light rail and transportation alternatives for Albuquerque
Poll Poll - Streetcar, Light Rail, or Monorail?
Ok, thank you! I will enjoy reading!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque