Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 11:03 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,958,062 times

Advertisements

Maybe because it claims to do things it doesn't do. When it fails the patient gets blamed for not following the prescribed practices. It puts the blame on the victim. It doesn't acknowledge it's shortcomings and the things it can't do. It can also be dangerous when it replaces modern medicine in cases like cancer. Modern medicine acknowledges it's own shortcomings and failures. But alternative medicine does not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holistic Lifestyle Guide View Post
2 is nothing compared to America's 300 (and rising): https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...from-cdc-shows

Considering the fact that India's population is 955 million more than the US, you'd think the numbers would be the other way around. Most people in India use Ayurveda, where in the US, most people still take prescription drugs, eat unhealthy food, and live unhealthy lifestyles.

Also, Covid19 is killing healthy young people too, so this statistic doesn't pertain to this subject.

And, aren't we in an alternative health forum? Why are there people in here trying to make alternative health look bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 11:26 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Maybe because it claims to do things it doesn't do. When it fails the patient gets blamed for not following the prescribed practices. It puts the blame on the victim. It doesn't acknowledge it's shortcomings and the things it can't do. It can also be dangerous when it replaces modern medicine in cases like cancer. Modern medicine acknowledges it's own shortcomings and failures. But alternative medicine does not.
You're making generalizations. For one thing, alternative/complementary medicine often does go hand in hand with mainstream medicine. I've had acupuncturists working along with regular MDs, for instance. And I've never had an alternative medicine practitioner tell me to not go to a regular doctor or that the alternative medicine is a replacement for a regular doctor. They work together, which is why I prefer the name "complementary" medicine.

Anyone who would choose to forego medical treatment for cancer is making a risky choice and they know it. I had cancer once and did I choose alternative medicine? No, of course not. I did make sure I ate right and took some supplements but I got regular treatment. Same with COVID19, no one knows how to cure it but if I got it, I'd go to a hospital. It hasn't existed long enough for any kind of medicine to know how to treat it.

Good thing we have other forms of medicine though because there are many times that medical conditions fall between the cracks and regular doctors don't know what to do or can't do enough. That's where I think the complementary practitioners really shine.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:58 AM

I personally don't believe in alternative medicine at all, though some people do. If they get good results they attribute it to the alternative medicine. But people get those results without alternative medicine as well, so in my mind it poses the conclusion that the alternative medicine had nothing to do with the outcome.

I have a rare form of leukemia, CMML, which has a published median lifespan of 24 to 30 months. Early on I lost about 30 lbs so I started eating every fattening and sweet food I had always avoided, in order to maintain a normal weight. CMML has no cure except a successful BMT or SCT and I am too old for those. I'm still alive after 43 months. Should I attribute my success to ice cream, cookies, fatty meats and whole fat dairy which I consume in great amounts? Maybe. Prior to the CMML I also had lymphoma and chemo worked well on it.

But I wasn't making generalizations. I was responding to a poster who was claiming ayurvedic medicine had all the answers for avoiding and curing disease. The poster said:

"Ayurvedic doctors would beg to differ; every single Ayurveda course I have taken or Ayurvedic doctor I have studied has said that disease (any type of illness, including cancer) can not develop in a body that doesn't have the correct environment for it. It can appear initially if there is an imbalance for a long enough period of time, but if you follow the guidelines on the correct lifestyle for your body type, your body will self-heal."

These are the type of claims I was referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You're making generalizations. For one thing, alternative/complementary medicine often does go hand in hand with mainstream medicine. I've had acupuncturists working along with regular MDs, for instance. And I've never had an alternative medicine practitioner tell me to not go to a regular doctor or that the alternative medicine is a replacement for a regular doctor. They work together, which is why I prefer the name "complementary" medicine.

Anyone who would choose to forego medical treatment for cancer is making a risky choice and they know it. I had cancer once and did I choose alternative medicine? No, of course not. I did make sure I ate right and took some supplements but I got regular treatment. Same with COVID19, no one knows how to cure it but if I got it, I'd go to a hospital. It hasn't existed long enough for any kind of medicine to know how to treat it.

Good thing we have other forms of medicine though because there are many times that medical conditions fall between the cracks and regular doctors don't know what to do or can't do enough. That's where I think the complementary practitioners really shine.

Last edited by bobspez; 05-28-2020 at 12:09 PM..

Old 05-28-2020, 12:28 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
2 is nothing compared to America's 300 (and rising): https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...from-cdc-shows

Considering the fact that India's population is 955 million more than the US, you'd think the numbers would be the other way around. Most people in India use Ayurveda, where in the US, most people still take prescription drugs, eat unhealthy food, and live unhealthy lifestyles.

Also, Covid19 is killing healthy young people too, so this statistic doesn't pertain to this subject.

And, aren't we in an alternative health forum? Why are there people in here trying to make alternative health look bad?
Being a new member here, please continue to post as you believe...I know what you are feeling and thinking, I was new at one time and I've learned. Thanks again for your attendance.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:35 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,853 times
Quote:
Covid19 is killing healthy young people too
Are you sure about that? People have differing opinions on what healthy means.

I saw an article recently about a healthy young man who died. His wife said he was healthy and apparently the reporter agreed. There was a photo of him and he looked to be 30 pounds overweight, maybe more. It's not unusual for an overweight person to be defined as healthy in America.

Many people underestimate what diet and lifestyle factors do to their immune systems and overall health. What was his diet like? Exercise? Sleep? Stress level? Recreational drugs? Vitamin/mineral deficiency? Prescription or OTC meds?

Were the young people who died healthy? COVID-19 seems to disagree.

Old 05-28-2020, 02:03 PM

Disease doesn't develop in a body that doesn't have the correct environment for it

According to mainstream epigenetics science this is basically true of most chronic diseases, which includes some forms of cancer. The diseases are caused by what the genes are exposed to (food, environment, etc.) creating the environment for disease, and this is common. Diseases caused by genetic sequence errors are uncommon.

It appears that Ayurvedic may have been onto it long before modern mainstream science caught up.

Old 05-28-2020, 02:15 PM

Then why do many people who are exposed to the same environment and lifestyle and diet not get the disease? My guess is that the genes predispose people to certain diseases, regardless of how they live. That's why people I know who were trim and athletic and didn't drink or smoke died early of heart disease and cancer. If the genes are the thing that make you susceptible to heart disease or cancer (the two major killers), you have no way to change that. People with different genes will smoke and drink and overeat their way well into their 80's and beyond, while the people who exercise, eat right, take supplements will die of heart disease and cancer in their 40's and 50's. I have observed this and these are facts, not theories. The environment you speak of that develop certain diseases are the genes you are born with, and nothing can change that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Disease doesn't develop in a body that doesn't have the correct environment for it

According to mainstream epigenetics science this is basically true of most chronic diseases, which includes some forms of cancer. The diseases are caused by what the genes are exposed to (food, environment, etc.) creating the environment for disease, and this is common. Diseases caused by genetic sequence errors are uncommon.

It appears that Ayurvedic may have been onto it long before modern mainstream science caught up.

Old 05-28-2020, 02:28 PM

7,235 posts, read 4,546,649 times
Quote:
Are you sure about that? People have differing opinions on what healthy means.
Covid is overwhelmingly and older persons fatality disease.

When I was a kid a 12 year old classmate died of the flu.

In addition there is no way to know - for sure - how healthy someone was who might have died of it. For instance - Vitamin D has been shown to be protective. But what if they were Vitamin D insufficient? I was diagnosed with a blood issue this year that doesn't make a problem in me but some people it makes them immuno compromised. The thing is... NO ONE TESTS for it. It doesn't show up in WBC or a CBC or any other test except for some that are rarely used.

I have had to find out the known risk factors of COVID for my job and being overweight is not one of them. Being morbidly obese is.

Quote:
But I wasn't making generalizations. I was responding to a poster who was claiming ayurvedic medicine had all the answers for avoiding and curing disease. The poster said:

"Ayurvedic doctors would beg to differ; every single Ayurveda course I have taken or Ayurvedic doctor I have studied has said that disease (any type of illness, including cancer) can not develop in a body that doesn't have the correct environment for it. It can appear initially if there is an imbalance for a long enough period of time, but if you follow the guidelines on the correct lifestyle for your body type, your body will self-heal."
The quote I see says no such thing. That person is stating what Ayurvedic doctors say. If your going to respond you should have some factual and relevant things to say other than wide irrelevant generalizations based, as you say, on your beliefs that alternative medicine doesn't work.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post

The quote I see says no such thing. That person is stating what Ayurvedic doctors say. If your going to respond you should have some factual and relevant things to say other than wide irrelevant generalizations based, as you say, on your beliefs that alternative medicine doesn't work.
The quote stated Ayurvedic medicine says that any disease can be avoided or cured with the correct ayurvedic practices. Did you read that? This is quite obviously not factual. Another poster quoted an article about an ayurvedic doctor dying of covid. To believe that Ayurvedic medicine when practised correctly makes anyone immune from cancer and heart diseases that account for 40% of all deaths worldwide is a fantasy. It may work for some, but so do tootsie rolls. Pointing this out is factual. Opinion has nothing to do with it. You are making wide irrelevant generalizations about me that completely ignore common sense. It is quite relevant to point out nonsense when people's lives are at stake. This statement about ayurvedic medicine is a fantasy. When fantasy meets reality, reality always wins.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Then why do many people who are exposed to the same environment and lifestyle and diet not get the disease? My guess is that the genes predispose people to certain diseases, regardless of how they live. That's why people I know who were trim and athletic and didn't drink or smoke died early of heart disease and cancer. If the genes are the thing that make you susceptible to heart disease or cancer (the two major killers), you have no way to change that. People with different genes will smoke and drink and overeat their way well into their 80's and beyond, while the people who exercise, eat right, take supplements will die of heart disease and cancer in their 40's and 50's. I have observed this and these are facts, not theories. The environment you speak of that develop certain diseases are the genes you are born with, and nothing can change that.

People with the same diet, lifestyle and environment do not have the same genetic profile, nor identical experiences. Identical twins don't have identical genetic profiles. What is good or bad for one may not be good or bad for the other.

Gene expressions can be turned on or off. Depends on what they are exposed to.

Epigenetics Is Everywhere. What you eat, where you live, who you interact with, when you sleep, how you exercise, even aging – all of these can eventually cause chemical modifications around the genes that will turn those genes on or off over time. Additionally, in certain diseases such as cancer or Alzheimer’s, various genes will be switched into the opposite state, away from the normal/healthy state.

Brief explanation: https://www.whatisepigenetics.com/what-is-epigenetics/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine