Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2016, 06:14 PM

894 posts, read 586,578 times

Advertisements

I like a balance. I believe that alternative and holistic health treatments are good but I also believe that there are some situations where traditional medical help is necessary and good.

I will say though that early last year, I was feeling very ill at times to the point that I thought I was pregnant. Long story short, I found out from a dr that I had fibroids. He suggested surgery to remove my uterus. However, I went the route of using a particular supplement from my health store and I'm glad to say the fibroids are either all gone or diminished to the point that they are undetectable. My sick symptoms went away and my current doctor couldn't even find any trace of the fibroids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 06:24 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Well, a success story. Good to hear it. I don't know what you used but iodine therapy and fibroids are noted. I have a lot of info posted in Alternative on iodine therapy. My balance is 95% supplements 5% a few meds.

Old 02-01-2020, 12:39 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am a doctor. I practice western medicine.

For myself and family, I avoid medicines as much as possible. I am a total minimalist, I feel food and exercise fix many, many things. Certain supplements and herbs live in my medicine cabinet.

Why the dichotomy?

Patients get angry if you suggest they b part of the solution instead of give them their quick fix prescription they really came for. They think it is all hippy woo woo.

Using food, stretching, and exercise as therapy is far too labor intensive for most Americans. I have tried over and over to counsel on better diet, etc, but people won't give up their crap.

A warm compress is not the latest tech. People want the latest tech. And my whole job and being allowed to exist and work is directly tied to customer service numbers. I still try over and over to suggest alternative and adjunct treatment. 50,000 patients later, it mostly falls on deaf ears.
How frustrating that must be for you! We can do so much, personally, to assure ourselves of good health through diet, exercise and stress reduction.

Many lifestyles are insults to the wonderful bodies we were born with...

It's sad...and so often, unnecessary.

I saw, somewhere, an ad that said, "Ask your doctor if getting up off your a** might be right for you.""

Old 02-03-2020, 06:15 AM

233 posts, read 155,195 times
Default Healing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Do you think/feel you have a better understanding of your body and its heath than a doctor? Do you turn to alternative, herbs, diet, nutrition or supplements before seeking out a doctor's visit? If you doctor yourself, how has that worked out?

After I got poisoned by their so-called medicine in the 80's antibiotics, and now still feeling the after effects, I had already dabbled into self healing a bit, but that experience shoved me off the cliff, and I got into herbs and Homeopathy, Ayurveda etc

I haven't gotten colds for years, and found that we need more minerals than ever is talked about by the gurus many listen to....I stopped palpitations due to Homeopathy, John D. Rockefeller had a Homeopathic physician and lived into his 90's his son lived to 101.....

then took ionic minerals, iodine, encapsulated fruits and veggies, but I also stopped the fast food junk and simplified my eating habits, especially after reading 'sweet poison' , sugar strips the body of minerals it needs in order to digest it, cuz pure sugar has none, it's been stripped of all nutrition, so knowing all that, I feel quite blessed.....

Old 02-03-2020, 01:15 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennywally51 View Post
After I got poisoned by their so-called medicine in the 80's antibiotics, and now still feeling the after effects, I had already dabbled into self healing a bit, but that experience shoved me off the cliff, and I got into herbs and Homeopathy, Ayurveda etc

I haven't gotten colds for years, and found that we need more minerals than ever is talked about by the gurus many listen to....I stopped palpitations due to Homeopathy, John D. Rockefeller had a Homeopathic physician and lived into his 90's his son lived to 101.....

then took ionic minerals, iodine, encapsulated fruits and veggies, but I also stopped the fast food junk and simplified my eating habits, especially after reading 'sweet poison' , sugar strips the body of minerals it needs in order to digest it, cuz pure sugar has none, it's been stripped of all nutrition, so knowing all that, I feel quite blessed.....

What a wonderful enlightened journey you've undertaken for your good health...it would be lovely if others followed your example...we each must give our bodies and minds a good chance to heal and be nourished...

I didn't know that about Johd D Rockefellar.

Do you have any books about Homeopathy you might recommend for those interested? I am!

Old 02-03-2020, 04:00 PM

233 posts, read 155,195 times
Default Book recos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
What a wonderful enlightened journey you've undertaken for your good health...it would be lovely if others followed your example...we each must give our bodies and minds a good chance to heal and be nourished...

I didn't know that about Johd D Rockefellar.

Do you have any books about Homeopathy you might recommend for those interested? I am!

'20,000 Secrets of tea' is one about healing with herbs and the other is not near me, I have a lot of organizing to do....BUT if you call Luyties, and ask for a book reco on Homeopathy, they'll tell you, that's how I got it !

Glad you learned something !

Old 02-04-2020, 07:20 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,061 times
My story is a bit weird, but then so am I

My mom was sick her entire life. She went from doctor to doctor, who would do all the tests and then tell her she was okay and it was all in her head. She was bed-ridden for two years, but the doctors insisted nothing was wrong. So she learned to treat herself with diet and natural medicine.

She never got entirely well but she was able to manage herself more or less. Eventually she found alternative doctors who helped her at least somewhat. Only in hindsight do I see now that she had multiple syndromes that were unknown decades ago but now are identified and recognized.

My history with doctors has been different yet eerily similar. I am basically healthy but have had episodes where I knew something was off yet it didn't fall into a neat little "box" that could be easily diagnosed. I have gone to doctors hoping they could figure it out, but I have found they are largely not interested in anything that is not already one of their known "boxes". So, the doctors of today do not seem any different from my mother's doctors.

And so I am left to be my own doctor and treat myself. In a way it is a blessing because I have greatly expanded my trust in myself to provide myself with answers, and to trust and marvel in my body's ability to heal itself when given the correct nutritive or supplemental or energetic building-blocks.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:23 AM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
I take the scientific approach. That is to say - I trust myself with my body and know that if something feels "off" then it's time to pay closer attention. If simple solutions don't work (such as not eating cheese for the next few days, or getting some mentholated steam into my room, or wrapping a bump with an ace bandage), then I go to the doctor and we have a discussion, an exam, a diagnosis, and a treatment.

Even when the doctor suggests a treatment, I will have a conversation with him or her about my own attempts at solutions. Should I continue keeping the bump wrapped with the ace bandage? Does he feel that the mentholatum will help, harm, or do nothing? Does he agree that reducing my cheese intake might also reduce my current digestive situation while whatever he is recommending is being implemented? Is it safe to keep adding a little tea tree oil to the wound, or should I back off and try the triple antibiotic cream instead? is using both, effective, or will one negate the benefits of the other?

This is the "holistic" approach to medicine. Not rejecting one in favor of the other, but having a dialogue and making the most practical use of both.

Old 02-06-2020, 05:17 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Most of the improvements I have seen with regards to health have come through a lot
of dietary trial & error.........everything else, doctors included, pale in comparison.

But I am not anti-doctor......the factual information the medical-establishment has provided me
has been very valuable in getting a clear picture of why I was having certain problems.

But the treatment, in my case, I have done things to treat those
medical problems mainly through diet.......don't want all those pills and
whatever side-effects comes along with them.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:13 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am a doctor. I practice western medicine.

For myself and family, I avoid medicines as much as possible. I am a total minimalist, I feel food and exercise fix many, many things. Certain supplements and herbs live in my medicine cabinet.

Why the dichotomy?

Patients get angry if you suggest they b part of the solution instead of give them their quick fix prescription they really came for. They think it is all hippy woo woo.

Using food, stretching, and exercise as therapy is far too labor intensive for most Americans. I have tried over and over to counsel on better diet, etc, but people won't give up their crap.

A warm compress is not the latest tech. People want the latest tech. And my whole job and being allowed to exist and work is directly tied to customer service numbers. I still try over and over to suggest alternative and adjunct treatment. 50,000 patients later, it mostly falls on deaf ears.
My cardio vascular/thoracic surgeon mom concurs! People think that because they’re taking drugs that they can continue their unhealthy lifestyles and then complain when their heart attacks them. She hawks diet and exercise as their first line of defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine