Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 07:20 PM

301 posts, read 164,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
I will only go to the doctor to get blood levels checked (since, for some strange reason, I cannot order these directly from a laboratory). I will occasionally see what my doctor has to say on certain issues, but I view it all through the prism that doctors are trained through schools that have oftentimes received generous grants from pharmaceuticals companies. This taints their view on things, I believe, and they graduate thinking the solution to everything is to be found by writing on a prescription pad.
Life extension has lab tests available. Google them or Suzanne Summers.
I had one done but I forgot to fast oopsie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 07:31 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Years ago, I had a wonderful doctor who told me she would not continue to be my doctor unless I quit smoking. She then referred me to a smoking cessation program. Which I went to. Which was successful. I haven't smoked in 23 years.

I'll be forever grateful to that doctor--who cared.

My current doctor, a PA, is the other side of the coin. She likes pills and tests and never commends me on keeping my weight at a good level or being a regular gym goer and walker and bicyclist.

No positive re-enforcment at all.

But I guess I don't need it as I continue down my own path of solid nutrition and exercise.

Why don't I find another doc?

Small town, no holistic orientation at all. Pills and tests....pills and tests. No physical touch or hands-on exams, either. Just tap, tap tap into the computer and another referral for another test...

We must learn to heal ourselves sometimes...
For my last ailment my current MD proscribed an antibiotic, OTC anti-inflammatory, bedrest and Saint-Saens 3rd symphony. I like my doc.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:35 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDABaptist View Post
I won't go to any doctors anymore. I feel they do nothing but give you a chemical that causes more problems anyway. The body heals itself.
That, on the other hand, is just not the case. The body goes awry at times. Turns the autoimmune system loose on a perfectly good thyroid, for instance. Once that's gone, it's gone. Now, do you want to live a short, lethargic, permanently tired life - or do you take a hormone supplement that lets you live longer, healthier and as a normal human being?

Or ask Type I diabetics about life without insulin. ("Short".)

Old 04-30-2020, 06:04 PM

22 posts, read 30,954 times
You can't do the repairs on your own teeth- so you hire a craftsman called a dentist. You can't operate on yourself to remove an infected or rotten body part...so you hire a surgeon. Other that that - if you become unhealthy YOU know full well what caused it- YOU caused it...or allowed the ill health to enter your body...and only you are fully aware of how to reverse this damage if the damage is not overly severe. Most of know how to heal ourselves but do not bother. So you sometimes take the easy way out...Like a person who insists his doctor give them sedatives so they can cope with evil and annoying people- When all you have to do is separate yourself for the source of the stress.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:10 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
I think of modern day doctors as pharmaceutical reps and liaison for diagnostic services.

There is no holistic approach, no concern for the WHOLE individual.

10-15 minute appointments don't allow for that.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:02 PM

15 posts, read 6,850 times
I definitely trust my accumulated knowledge more than I trust doctors...for prevention, for sure. When it comes to emergencies I would always go to a doctor, but when it comes to living a healthy lifestyle and preventing illness, I 100% take control of my own health. I am 47 and in perfect health and have not been to a doctor in at least 20 years.

Doctors don't even learn nutrition in med school (or if they do, it's only a few hours). They are taught to prescribe pills. They are taught that there is such a thing as diseases that must be treated with pills and surgery when in reality "diseases" are just a name given to a set of symptoms which are really just signs of imbalance in your body that something needs to be changed. Pills and surgery are just a band-aid to mask the real problem, which never goes away as long as the original problem is not addressed.

This is why ancient healing systems like Ayurveda are so powerful because they treat the whole person (body, mind and soul) and they do it naturally. Many Ayurvedic authors have written books about this, as well as many doctors who left mainstream health care to teach the correct ways to heal yourself through natural prevention.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:43 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,251,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holistic Lifestyle Guide View Post
I definitely trust my accumulated knowledge more than I trust doctors...for prevention, for sure. When it comes to emergencies I would always go to a doctor, but when it comes to living a healthy lifestyle and preventing illness, I 100% take control of my own health. I am 47 and in perfect health and have not been to a doctor in at least 20 years.

Doctors don't even learn nutrition in med school (or if they do, it's only a few hours). They are taught to prescribe pills. They are taught that there is such a thing as diseases that must be treated with pills and surgery when in reality "diseases" are just a name given to a set of symptoms which are really just signs of imbalance in your body that something needs to be changed. Pills and surgery are just a band-aid to mask the real problem, which never goes away as long as the original problem is not addressed.

This is why ancient healing systems like Ayurveda are so powerful because they treat the whole person (body, mind and soul) and they do it naturally. Many Ayurvedic authors have written books about this, as well as many doctors who left mainstream health care to teach the correct ways to heal yourself through natural prevention.
This right here is worthy of copying and pasting in just about any write up describing what a “proactive approach to health and wellness” is as opposed to a “reactive approach to health and Wellness.”

Old 05-23-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
This right here is worthy of copying and pasting in just about any write up describing what a “proactive approach to health and wellness” is as opposed to a “reactive approach to health and Wellness.”
That is why I try my best to speak about it whenever I can! Most people are still stuck in "wait until I get sick then I'll fix it" mode.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:09 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,251,500 times
Holistic Lifestyle Guide,

Please keep talking and writing about this. I will admit, I’m still working on letting go and dropping many of the “myths” that is instilled on society at an early age. One topic that I’ve been reading about and which makes a lot of sense is the topic of “epigenetics”......

It is unfortunate that the people in power and with big $$$ are the ones that control the information and set medical standards, even if it’s a “reactive approach” to health and well-being.

Old 05-23-2020, 06:07 PM

Oh rest assured, I won't stop talking about this! I have a website (same URL as my user name), and I am publishing books and digital products to help people implement this information into their lives. It's my life's purpose now!

Totally agree about the people in power. We have to learn to take our power back, especially when it comes to our own bodies, an issue very prominent in the current state of our world.

Epigenetics is so fascinating, I am sure you have heard of Dr. Bruce Lipton? If not, he is how I learned about them and he blows my mind every time I read or listen to him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine