Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 05:45 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,879 times

Advertisements

You can't do the repairs on your own teeth- so you hire a craftsman called a dentist. You can't operate on yourself to remove an infected or rotten body part...so you hire a surgeon. Other that that - if you become unhealthy YOU know full well what caused it- YOU caused it...or allowed the ill health to enter your body...and only you are fully aware of how to reverse this damage if the damage is not overly severe. Most of know how to heal ourselves but do not bother. So you sometimes take the easy way out...Like a person who insists his doctor give them sedatives so they can cope with evil and annoying people- When all you have to do is separate yourself for the source of the stress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 05:45 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,923,463 times
I studied Holistic Health at the graduate level and the first thing I learned is that healing does not come from outside (in the form of a doctor or other health practitioner). For the Holistic Health practitioner, we were taught that the "patient" (which is a condescending term, reducing a person to a lower status than the practitioner) is not "healed" by a doctor or anyone else . . . the body seeks homeostasis - there are many things that can go wrong (as we can see) . . . but many times the problem is from environmental toxins (food, drink, medications).

We were taught to not think of ourselves as "healers." Again, that is putting oneself in a one-up position.

Doctors and health practitioners of any persuasion are health facilitators, if anything. Doctors, per se, do not have magical abilities. Western medicine puts them on pedestals and they are well-rewarded but they are human beings with a particular education and that's it.

It is common knowledge that nutrition is not a strong emphasis in medical school, yet it is one of the most important things a person can do for their health and well-being.

Also, the Newtonian/Cartesian split results in the body being seen as a materialistic "thing" that you can "fix." That is just false.

I learned in my studies that illness often begins in the emotional body. Illness can also be of a spiritual nature (or lack of spiritual connection).

There is no such thing as "mind and body." It is "mindbody." One and the same - no split.

People's immune systems get compromised by stress and toxins and other things and only then will they respond to a "germ" that they would have otherwise been able to fight off.

Western medicine looks at symptoms and then prescribes medications, without looking at the root cause (which could be an emotional problem, which a Western doctor would never even ask about).

Western medicine does not see the body as a whole - it is viewed the way their departments are viewed - as being completely separate and not interrelated at all.

Alternative medicine is despised by those who profit from Western medicine - it is a very lucrative business and as people get older, there is even more profit to be made.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:46 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Why do you think there is such a prescription drug problem in the United States? Does it have anything to do with doctors?

When prescribing extremely addictive drugs, do doctors routinely screen for alcoholism and then do they monitor usage? WHY do they prescribe (and overprescribe) so many intensely addictive drugs and then fail to monitor usage?

My grandson had an appendectomy in high school and was given an outrageous RX of Vicodin. I don't think that was a prudent or good idea. Another relative, an alcoholic, was put on Effexor . . . I wanted to scream at the sheer stupidity. These may be anecdotal, but they are not rare cases as the booming drug profits will tell you.

And don't tell me no doctors are influenced by sexy reps and their shenanigans. Why do you think they have to be so damn sexy? Why don't they hire ugly fat reps?

1. Yes, I think part of the rx drug problem is the doctors. Now that the monitoring program is in place in many states, that should go down. But before I could look up what patients were doing, how is it my fault if I give them pain meds if I didn't know they went to 5 other docs and got pain meds from them, too?

2. Before many rx went online, how the heck were you supposed to monitor usage? You think these people only go to one doctor for their drugs? LOL! Get real. You think alcoholics admit that stuff? Is there a magic wand that tells you if you're alcoholic? Do you have any idea how many people who are drunk in front of my face LIE and say they don't drink?

3. What, in your opinion, is "an outrageous rx of vicodin"?

4. ALL SALES PEOPLE are chosen with looks preferable. You cannot be serious with this post.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I cannot speak for your personal experiences, but less than two weeks ago I was talking to a health practitioner who had been a registered nurse for more than 20 years and we were discussing the topic of how drug companies influence the medical profession.

She told me that one of the main reasons that she gave up conventional medicine is because she saw the abuses that were happening. She told me that drug companies actually PAID doctors for them to write prescriptions. Not "bought them dinner" or "paid for junkets" but actually PAID THEM IN CASH MONEY on A "PER PRESCRIPTION" BASIS. She experienced it with her own eyes and when this continued to happen she decided that she, in good conscience, could not part of it any longer.

I worked with a Osteopathic Doctor once for a brief period of time and I remember the drug representative coming in and how he bribed the doctor with "perks" for writing prescriptions. He gave us samples like candy and encouraged the doc to pass them out the same way.

I understand that not all doctors fall into this pit of deception, but many, dare I say MOST, do. Student loans for medical school are not cheap, and neither is the technology that medical practitioners use. Yes, people DEMAND drugs/quick fix but it is only because they are taught this by television and popular culture and they are not TAUGHT how to do things naturally. In order to find that out you must seek it out yourself and most people are too stupid or not motivated enough to do that, unfortunately.

20yrsinBranson
Ok. So the hundreds of people I know vs the sensationalist story and things that happened in the past that you say...suuuuurrrrre.

That is illegal. If she was telling the truth, instead of leaving, she should have REPORTED IT.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

Learning as much as you can about health care is the single most important thing a person can do for themselves and their family. IMHO

20yrsinBranson
100% agree.

And when you learn it has a lot to do with giving up processed foods, see if you still stick with it.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:55 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
[b][color=DarkOrchid]

I have always lived a clean lifestyle with plenty of exercise and a good diet and I still developed hypothyroidism, endometriosis and a few other conditions over my lifetime. The alt info is not out there. Living a clean healthy lifestyle doesn't prevent the above mentioned conditions - and a heck of a lot more.
I have always believed that endometriosis is caused by using tampons. Back in "the day" when I had a monthly period, I never, ever used them and I recall that there was an incredible amount of STUFF that was ejected from my body as part of the process. If you prevent this "stuff" from leaving your body because you are plugged up with a tampon, eventually its going to find a different route. Now I understand that you can have endometriosis in your major body organs such as your kidneys and there is no real connect between your uterus and your kidney but that tissue has to go somewhere, it just has to. I realize this is not terribly scientific, but back before people used tampons, nobody ever heard of this disorder, as far as I know.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-18-2013, 05:55 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,132 times
The last time I went to a doctor with a rather serious concern, he sold me some nutritional supplements that his wife sells through Amway. That was a few years ago, and I haven't been back since.

That's okay Doc, I'll take care of it myself.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
100% agree.

And when you learn it has a lot to do with giving up processed foods, see if you still stick with it.
Lord knows I've tried. It is truly a miracle I am as healthy as I am considering the diet I have.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-18-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Ok. So the hundreds of people I know vs the sensationalist story and things that happened in the past that you say...suuuuurrrrre.

That is illegal. If she was telling the truth, instead of leaving, she should have REPORTED IT.
So is speeding but I don't see that stopping very many people. And I don't see many people calling 911 because someone passed them on the expressway doing 80 instead of 75.

Besides there is a big monetary pay off, (unlike speeding), I'm sure that many doctors are more than willing to risk it. After all, how can anyone PROVE it? It's strictly their word against the doctors, and who is the judge going to believe? The doctor of course.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-18-2013, 06:03 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,923,463 times
Quote:
1. Yes, I think part of the rx drug problem is the doctors. Now that the monitoring program is in place in many states, that should go down. But before I could look up what patients were doing, how is it my fault if I give them pain meds if I didn't know they went to 5 other docs and got pain meds from them, too?

2. Before many rx went online, how the heck were you supposed to monitor usage? You think these people only go to one doctor for their drugs? LOL! Get real. You think alcoholics admit that stuff? Is there a magic wand that tells you if you're alcoholic? Do you have any idea how many people who are drunk in front of my face LIE and say they don't drink?

3. What, in your opinion, is "an outrageous rx of vicodin"?

4. ALL SALES PEOPLE are chosen with looks preferable. You cannot be serious with this post.
1. Pain is a symptom of something. What is the root cause of the pain? Make them take lie detector tests!
2. How about simply asking them if they have any substance abuse issues. It's not even a question that is asked.
3. This outrageous RX was for 100 pills. For a high school kid. Those are worth a lot on the black market, I understand. Just overkill. He could have taken Advil or had a more potent pain reliever for a couple of days - not 100 pills.
4. No, I was half-kidding . . . but they should not be allowed to dress sexy or use sex as a sales persuasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine