Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 04:12 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
The money here is too confusing ... too many zero .

Forget about the zeros and just half it. So for example, pretend 4,000 pesos is actually 4 pesos then half it and you have $ 2 Canadian dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 06:32 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times
Default ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Forget about the zeros and just half it. So for example, pretend 4,000 pesos is actually 4 pesos then half it and you have $ 2 Canadian dollars.
.... lol. Hopefully I will figure it out before I leave. In stores you have more time ... when buying stuff in the street you have to be fast. In some cases ex in actually stores when people are just employees I have just handed them a few bill options and most people are pretty honest. They have actually gone out of their way to explain slow how much they are taking and how much ot costs. My husband got punked last buying cigarettes. He basically got charged $30 bucks for a pack of cigarettes lol... but serves him right he should not smoke. In general though we have kept a low profile. People have been helpful.

I have not seen any more junkies, beggars or homeless people then I would in the downtown core in Toronto. Lots of police everywhere. Every so often you see the police talking to someone. I actually feel more comfortable here them when I stayed the The Bronx in New York. I was actually very uncomfortable there. It will be interesting to compare the this part of the city to zona rosa.

Lots of bars and blasting music tonight and the area is a lot more lively and now it just started lightening.

Now we relax and snack on fruit we pick up in the market and on the streets of the city today.

Last edited by klmrocks; 03-28-2017 at 06:54 PM..

Old 03-28-2017, 09:11 PM

Okay....what the heck the red light area is pretty big???? And really close to my hotel. I was actually booking a hotel in Santa Fe before lol. I got to wonder why the heck hotels.com or any of the reviews about that hotel failed to mention this. I got to leave that security guard a tip.... wow. That nice little stroll to the market could have ruined my trip. Thanks for motivating me to change hotels because if I ended up staying in Santa Fe I think my impression of the city would have been really negative.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:00 PM

122 posts, read 131,207 times
Candelaria used to be one of the notorious red light areas, but most of the fun is gone from what I hear.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Okay....what the heck the red light area is pretty big???? And really close to my hotel. I was actually booking a hotel in Santa Fe before lol. I got to wonder why the heck hotels.com or any of the reviews about that hotel failed to mention this. I got to leave that security guard a tip.... wow. That nice little stroll to the market could have ruined my trip. Thanks for motivating me to change hotels because if I ended up staying in Santa Fe I think my impression of the city would have been really negative.
Just to put your mind at ease, there is prostitution in just about all of the hotels, albeit somewhat discreet. Usually, the porter knows someone, or has a picture book to show the potential client

Old 03-29-2017, 10:36 AM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by etek View Post
Just to put your mind at ease, there is prostitution in just about all of the hotels, albeit somewhat discreet. Usually, the porter knows someone, or has a picture book to show the potential client
Prostitution happens everywhere. The key is descretion. I am travelling with a little girl who asks lots of questions and is very pushy. So with ease I could see her walking up to anyone to talk even with the language barrier or making facing teasing people. Also what seems likely a seedy way of dressing in many places is actually pretty normal in my city. For example very minimal clothing, lots of Tattoos or piercings is something you would see anyone wearing in Toronto and does not at all suggests they are criminals or dangerous. Also not really something I want to explain. I was very happy she was on the other side of the car looking on the opposite side when we did drive past the red light destrict. My kid is not that sheltered. But I am not interested in explaining that situation right now.y

Old 03-29-2017, 10:38 AM

881 posts, read 921,784 times
Do you have plans to come to Zipaquira (salt cathedral), or Guatavita or something like that? It's nice.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:05 AM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by etek View Post
Candelaria used to be one of the notorious red light areas, but most of the fun is gone from what I hear.
Yes it appears to be a Disney Land for sleazy men that enjoy exploitating poor women. I have no issue with sex.... but this situation is not fair play. And please save me the " they want to be in this profession crap". If the same garbage people using these services came here to enjoy the art, restaurant , shopping and cultural activities many of these women and girls could find other ways to support them selves and their families. A lot of these women are mothers too. This city has a lot of interesting things to see as do. It is much more then a discount brothel . Some local people we met yesterday were sharing how the area has been getting safer over the last 5 years.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:10 AM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
Do you have plans to come to Zipaquira (salt cathedral), or Guatavita or something like that? It's nice.
I am not sure I will have time. I am leaving to go to Cartagena now and only will have 2 days left in Bogota when I get back. There is a lot to see and do in Colombia. I also wish his have been interested in going to a Natinal Park.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Yes it appears to be a Disney Land for sleazy men that enjoy exploitating poor women. I have no issue with sex.... but this situation is not fair play. And please save me the " they want to be in this profession crap". If the same garbage people using these services came here to enjoy the art, restaurant , shopping and cultural activities many of these women and girls could find other ways to support them selves and their families. A lot of these women are mothers too. This city has a lot of interesting things to see as do. It is much more then a discount brothel . Some local people we met yesterday were sharing how the area has been getting safer over the last 5 years.

I don't know, klm, some women were born to be sluts. In poor countries sluts sometimes ask for money.
It seems that in Colombia feminism fell on her ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas