Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2019, 01:40 AM

1,002 posts, read 908,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
I and the other Filipino here never claimed that most Filipinos are mixed with Spanish it's just other people not in this forum. At most, according to genetic studies only 13% of Filipino males have Spanish Y-DNA. With women it's even less since the foreign line is inherited via male progeny since most colonists here are male.
Yeahh, 1 - 2 % Spanish and mostly have local looking ..I believe that Latin Americans they claims have a mixture of European or Spanish , or like celebrities in my country that are mostly mixed blood

23andMe Indonesian (Javanese girl ) , most Javanese genetic have components are usually a combination of the mainland Se Asian and Austronesian and in this video there is a large Filipinos gene in this girl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iVHjHAI0DI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 01:46 AM

400 posts, read 239,092 times
From My Heritage
Just take it with a grain of salt

Quote:
MyHeritage has collected DNA data from people around the world. Using the Ethnicities around the world feature, you can explore the most common ethnicities in different countries, and the top countries for each ethnicity, according to MyHeritage DNA users' data.

Just wanna show to fellow Filipino friends that this kind of DNA test can be confusing and inaccurate. By MyHeritage, Indonesians are closer to mainland Asian and European than Filipinos are, which we don't know of and honestly don't care.

Filipinos have the highest % of native Southeast Asian.

Last edited by Landove; 06-27-2019 at 01:58 AM..

Old 06-27-2019, 07:57 AM

1,117 posts, read 843,593 times
Big difference between the Philippines and Indonesia is that Indonesia doesnt allow dual citizenship, so most of the European left because they would have had to choose Indonesian citizenship over Dutch citizenship in order to stay. The Philippines allows dual citizenship and Spain allows dual citizenship only for former colonies. So thats why I think it was easier for Spanish-Filipinos to remain in the Philippines. A lot of them go back and forth between the Philippines and Spain because they're dual citizens. If a Filipino lives and works in Spain only 2 years, they can get citizenship there. People from non-former colonies have to wait at least 10 years

Old 06-30-2019, 01:30 AM

^^
Indonesia allows a child from transnational marriage to hold dual citizenship until his/her age of consent.After he/she reaches 18 yo (age of consent), he/she has to choose only one national, means have to give up the other one.

Dutch-Indonesian people leaving the country weren't because of this single citizenship policy. More of political reason, the situation was so horrible post Indonesia's independence that forced them to leave or die (killed). Hundreds of thousands even millions were leaving the country to Netherlands and USA in 1950s - 60s. If you count those people and their descendants as Indonesians, I'm sure Indonesia will have the highest percentage of "Eurasian" in the region. But, there's no point of doing so.

Anyway, dual citizenship is one of the reason why there are lots of "Foreign Filipinos" in your entertainment industry, who aren't even born and raised in the country. And will likely leave/go back to their homeland whenever they want.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:47 AM

1,117 posts, read 843,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landove View Post
^^
Indonesia allows a child from transnational marriage to hold dual citizenship until his/her age of consent.After he/she reaches 18 yo (age of consent), he/she has to choose only one national, means have to give up the other one.

Dutch-Indonesian people leaving the country weren't because of this single citizenship policy. More of political reason, the situation was so horrible post Indonesia's independence that forced them to leave or die (killed). Hundreds of thousands even millions were leaving the country to Netherlands and USA in 1950s - 60s. If you count those people and their descendants as Indonesians, I'm sure Indonesia will have the highest percentage of "Eurasian" in the region. But, there's no point of doing so.

Anyway, dual citizenship is one of the reason why there are lots of "Foreign Filipinos" in your entertainment industry, who aren't even born and raised in the country. And will likely leave/go back to their homeland whenever they want.
You’re counting people who no longer have anything to do with Indonesia who will probably not even visit the country. They’re not Indonesian in any way. They just had ancestors who lived there at one time. Thats like counting Princess Letizia of Spain as Spanish-Filipino just because her grandmother was born there. Doesnt make much sense. And I doubt its the highest percentage of Eurasians in the region. The highest estimate I’ve seen is 300,000 Eurasians- representing less that .05% of the population in 1950. Almost all of them fled the country.

On the island of Luzon alone, it was estimated that 1/3rd of the population had European ancestry in 1800s, not including the pure Spanish and South American populations that were also there. And thats just Luzon. The Visayas region is the most Spanish part of the Philippines, not Luzon. Spanish-Filipinos fled too after WW2 but it wasnt the same mass exodus that the Indos experienced. Spanish-Filipinos were already very much culturally Filipino, so thats why so many stayed. And many of the ones who left are still Philippine citizens.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
You’re counting people who no longer have anything to do with Indonesia who will probably not even visit the country. They’re not Indonesian in any way. They just had ancestors who lived there at one time. Thats like counting Princess Letizia of Spain as Spanish-Filipino just because her grandmother was born there. Doesnt make much sense. And I doubt its the highest percentage of Eurasians in the region. The highest estimate I’ve seen is 300,000 Eurasians- representing less that .05% of the population in 1950. Almost all of them fled the country.

I said "if" because Indonesia legal system won't recognize them as our citizen anymore. But if it's in your country, they will still be considered as Filipino by dual citizenship. And the number given anywhere is just estimation, some said it was 600k, etc. since the emigration was not documented. And some 300k entered The Netherlands. See? We never know the number of Dutch Indonesian fleeing anywhere else or the ones staying inside Indonesia by faking identity.

Quote:
On the island of Luzon alone, it was estimated that 1/3rd of the population had European ancestry in 1800s, not including the pure Spanish and South American populations that were also there. And thats just Luzon. The Visayas region is the most Spanish part of the Philippines, not Luzon. Spanish-Filipinos fled too after WW2 but it wasnt the same mass exodus that the Indos experienced. Spanish-Filipinos were already very much culturally Filipino, so thats why so many stayed. And many of the ones who left are still Philippine citizens.
Again ... , this doubtful claim. Is it even official? NO! It came from a random foreign merchant living in the country. Like really? You buy that?
Quote:
Blackwood’s magazine for August, 1818, has an account of conditions in Manila and the Philippines from data given by an English merchant who left the Islands in 1798 after twenty years’ residence in which he accumulated a fortune.
A third of population is huge. Where are they now? Vanish into thin air?
It is hardly possible, you can argue about genotype thingy not showing in physical features bla bla bla if the genes aren't that significant. But come on ... it's third of the population?!!

Old 06-30-2019, 10:31 PM

546 posts, read 570,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landove View Post

I said "if" because Indonesia legal system won't recognize them as our citizen anymore. But if it's in your country, they will still be considered as Filipino by dual citizenship. And the number given anywhere is just estimation, some said it was 600k, etc. since the emigration was not documented. And some 300k entered The Netherlands. See? We never know the number of Dutch Indonesian fleeing anywhere else or the ones staying inside Indonesia by faking identity.

Again ... , this doubtful claim. Is it even official? NO! It came from a random foreign merchant living in the country. Like really? You buy that?

A third of population is huge. Where are they now? Vanish into thin air?
It is hardly possible, you can argue about genotype thingy not showing in physical features bla bla bla if the genes aren't that significant. But come on ... it's third of the population?!!
Isn't it more fair and objective to know that a foreigner made that based on existing Spanish Censuses than when Filipinos themselves say that? You are frankly grasping with straws and it shows.

Also, Spanish immigration records show that 1/3rd of Luzon does have Spanish or Latino Admixture...

The first census in the Philippines was founded in 1591, based on tributes collected. The tributes count the total founding population of Spanish-Philippines as 667,612 people...

Source: The Unlucky Country: The Republic of the Philippines in the 21St Century By Duncan Alexander McKenzie (Page xii)

However this initial 667,612 native population was supplemented by almost 18,000 Latinos and and Spaniards.

Here are the Spanish and Mexican soldiers sentried in Forts and Presidio's all across the Philippines, note that the number of soldiers change each year since fresh recruits replace soldiers who disbanded or finished their tour of duty and joined the civilian population.

So there were originally 660,000 native people in the Philippines and the first wave of soldier colonists were 18,000 Latinos and Spaniards, naturally 18,000 can easily affect 660,000 and succeeding generations would easily inherit about 1/3rd of their proportion with Latin genes. Especially since this census was only for the first century, remember that there was 333 years of Spanish rule so Latino and Spanish migration would accumulate more too.

It's logical to conclude that 1/3rd of Luzon had Spanish Admixture.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:15 AM

1,002 posts, read 908,694 times
why pinoy always make argument that they are a mixed race?
Filipinos is are not a mixture of european or spanish and not include latino/mixed european . the majority Filipinos have local looking than mixed and almost all Filipino populations Tagalog,Visayan etc have genetically 98 - 99 % Austronesian blood

Link Genetic Asians and Pacific Islander

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F..._movements.png

Old 07-01-2019, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
So there were originally 660,000 native people in the Philippines and the first wave of soldier colonists were 18,000 Latinos and Spaniards, naturally 18,000 can easily affect 660,000 and succeeding generations would easily inherit about 1/3rd of their proportion with Latin genes. Especially since this census was only for the first century, remember that there was 333 years of Spanish rule so Latino and Spanish migration would accumulate more too.

It's logical to conclude that 1/3rd of Luzon had Spanish Admixture.

Nope. In that era, discrimination was very real. Except for special cases, legal intermarriages rarely happened. And that 18,000 figure was for 100 years period. And check your list again, Formosa is called "Taiwan", and Moluccas is called "Maluku" now, and I'm sure both are not Philippines.

In Indonesia, majority of Dutch Indonesian who chose not to emigrate were the descendants of concubinage in the past. And the number was not that significant (nowhere near 1/3 of population). Though if we counted anyone who had tiny weeny bit of European genes as the result of intermarriages centuries ago, the number might be significant. But what's the point? They will look just like other native Asian.

Indonesian and Filipino may be comparable, just the mindset is quite the opposite. You portray your fellow countrymen and country as highly "Latin", while Indonesians love to show how diverse we are as nation with hundreds of tribes and languages. As Dutch-Indonesian myself, I choose to identify myself as Javanese (my tribal identity) anytime, anywhere, than showing off my European background.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:16 AM

546 posts, read 570,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
why pinoy always make argument that they are a mixed race?
Filipinos is are not a mixture of european or spanish and not include latino/mixed european . the majority Filipinos have local looking than mixed and almost all Filipino populations Tagalog,Visayan etc have genetically 98 - 99 % Austronesian blood

Link Genetic Asians and Pacific Islander

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F..._movements.png
It's not us who make this claim you biased one. Notice how Manolopo cited an English traveler and I cited Spanish Censuses? Geeze if non-Filipinos themselves claim this, why are you still disbelieving?

You can also look at international genetic studies here which show that almost 15% of Filipinos have Latin Y-DNA.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filipinos

It's not us who claim this it's other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia