Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2019, 10:10 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,010,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackierudetsky View Post
BTW, I'm roughly 18% based on genealogy. As you said on another forum, you had me pegged as 10% based on phenotype alone.
FTR, without posting my pic, I could describe myself as looking the most like the last guy, but I don't look pseudo-black like he does.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 02:07 AM

1,117 posts, read 841,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landove View Post

How about those Eurasian celebs flooding the Philippines entertainment industry who are there just because the ease of having dual citizenship status, who will probably go somewhere else after they get "enough" money to start a better life?

Don't say it's not true. Since it is very obvious, some of my Filipino friends do concern about it. How can they (those halfies) just come, take money, and go, spend money somewhere else.

About Indonesia, just go to famous tourist destination like Bali and spend some time to socialize, you will know how many foreigners who mostly go there for vacation, end up marrying locals and stay.
There are examples of half Indonesian celebs posted in this thread. So obviously it happens in the Indonesian entertainment industry as well. Even though Indonesia doesnt have dual citizenship. So just imagine how big halfies would be if Indonesia did have dual citizenship...

The topic isnt about half Asians with one parent who recently moved to Asia. It’s about descendants of colonial Europeans still living in Asia. You keep talking about half Asians because all the Eurasians left Indonesia and now have nothing to do with it. Go start a topic about Indos living in the Netherlands.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:55 PM

400 posts, read 238,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
There are examples of half Indonesian celebs posted in this thread. So obviously it happens in the Indonesian entertainment industry as well. Even though Indonesia doesnt have dual citizenship. So just imagine how big halfies would be if Indonesia did have dual citizenship...
If Indonesians really are that hungry for Eurasian faces, there are so many of them living in Bali. But do you see them conquering and dominating our showbiz industry? Not at all.

Quote:
The topic isnt about half Asians with one parent who recently moved to Asia. It’s about descendants of colonial Europeans still living in Asia. You keep talking about half Asians because all the Eurasians left Indonesia and now have nothing to do with it. Go start a topic about Indos living in the Netherlands.
Stop making statements as if you know for sure whats going on.

Though majority had left, still so many of those Dutch Indonesian chose to stay (just like my ancestor). Though the number isn't that significant (unlike Mexico or Brazil), but still comparable to your country. Just go to old cities like Magelang (my hometown), you will find many of them live and kicking. Here is example of Dutch Indonesian actress from my hometown, the late Suzanna, known as The Queen of Horror movies in the past.

LOL ... long story short, Indonesians or Filipinos with mix European background is nowhere near Latam countries. So yeah, I will just say both of us are very Asian. So please stop being so whitewashed.

Old 07-09-2019, 02:47 AM

Quote:
If Indonesians really are that hungry for Eurasian faces, there are so many of them living in Bali. But do you see them conquering and dominating our showbiz industry? Not at all.

Stop making statements as if you know for sure whats going on.

Though majority had left, still so many of those Dutch Indonesian chose to stay (just like my ancestor). Though the number isn't that significant (unlike Mexico or Brazil), but still comparable to your country. Just go to old cities like Magelang (my hometown), you will find many of them live and kicking. Here is example of Dutch Indonesian actress from my hometown, the late Suzanna, known as The Queen of Horror movies in the past.

LOL ... long story short, Indonesians or Filipinos with mix European background is nowhere near Latam countries. So yeah, I will just say both of us are very Asian. So please stop being so whitewashed.

Indonesia doesnt have dual citizenship like the Philippines. So just imagine what the Indonesian entertainment industry would look like if they did have dual citizenship. There are obviously plenty of half Indonesian celebs. Several were posted in this thread. So dont act like its just a Filipino problem. Indonesia would have the same problem if it could.

I agree that some Indos got left. They're alive, but I wouldnt say "kicking" They dont seem to even want to live in Indonesia, maybe because they're culturally very out of place. This is very different from the Philippines, where Spanish-Filipinos almost have the same culture as mainstream Filipinos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28EM2O431U0

This video says that the Indos left behind in Jakarta and Bandung only number 80 individuals. So I'm having a hard time seeing how there could be millions of Indos still in Indonesia. Btw, you posted an Indo who is now deceased as an example to show that Indos still live there...

Here's Pilita Corrales, one of the last Spanish-Filipino celebs (from the colonial families, not recent Spanish)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2vqaElyYJg

Here's another, Jaime Fabregas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT31MUz_BVA

These "white Filipinos" used to absolutely dominate the Philippines entertainment industry. You can see that here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Egr8cBS-sA

Now, there are hardly any celebs who are that white. So you can see how much the Philippines has changed (for the better IMO)

Old 07-09-2019, 06:41 AM

400 posts, read 238,277 times
Quote:
Indonesia doesnt have dual citizenship like the Philippines. So just imagine what the Indonesian entertainment industry would look like if they did have dual citizenship. There are obviously plenty of half Indonesian celebs. Several were posted in this thread. So dont act like its just a Filipino problem. Indonesia would have the same problem if it could.
Use your logic ...
Indonesia has quite some population of newer generation Eurasian in places like Bali, they are of course Indonesian by nationality. Do you see them flooding our showbiz industry? NO! So please stop your wild guessing of something that will never happen. We are quite neutral about our taste of beauty compared to majority of Filipinos.
Currently I can recall only one, she's quite famous here. Her name is Luna Maya, Balinese-Austrian.

Quote:
I agree that some Indos got left. They're alive, but I wouldnt say "kicking" They dont seem to even want to live in Indonesia, maybe because they're culturally very out of place. This is very different from the Philippines, where Spanish-Filipinos almost have the same culture as mainstream Filipinos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28EM2O431U0
You are talking with one, so stop making assumption of us

It's ridiculous.

Quote:
This video says that the Indos left behind in Jakarta and Bandung only number 80 individuals. So I'm having a hard time seeing how there could be millions of Indos still in Indonesia.
We never conduct any census based on racial identity. So that number of only 80 something individuals is pure bulls. Moreover, just like your so called "Filipino with Spanish mixture", newer generation of Dutch Indonesians look just like average Asians and speak no Dutch.

Quote:
Btw, you posted an Indo who is now deceased as an example to show that Indos still live there...

Here's Pilita Corrales, one of the last Spanish-Filipino celebs (from the colonial families, not recent Spanish)

Now, there are hardly any celebs who are that white. So you can see how much the Philippines has changed (for the better IMO)
Don't ask me to post faces of famous people with Dutch Indonesian background. First, it's cheesy as hell to prove which one is more white here. Second, it's pointless. Third, I can go gaga to flood this thread with their pics, and you'll be sorry to have asked.

But okay, I will post some ...

Suzanna has a very big name here, came from my small hometown, Magelang. If you ask the still alive, younger Dutch Indonesian actress, here is Nafa Urbach, also came from my hometown.

Other Dutch Indonesian actress, Paula Verhoeven

Arumi Bachsin

etc. etc.

That's it, I cringe now.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Use your logic ...
Indonesia has quite some population of newer generation Eurasian in places like Bali, they are of course Indonesian by nationality. Do you see them flooding our showbiz industry? NO! So please stop your wild guessing of something that will never happen. We are quite neutral about our taste of beauty compared to majority of Filipinos.
Currently I can recall only one, she's quite famous here. Her name is Luna Maya, Balinese-Austrian.

You are talking with one, so stop making assumption of us

It's ridiculous.

We never conduct any census based on racial identity. So that number of only 80 something individuals is pure bulls. Moreover, just like your so called "Filipino with Spanish mixture", newer generation of Dutch Indonesians look just like average Asians and speak no Dutch.

Don't ask me to post faces of famous people with Dutch Indonesian background. First, it's cheesy as hell to prove which one is more white here. Second, it's pointless. Third, I can go gaga to flood this thread with their pics, and you'll be sorry to have asked.

But okay, I will post some ...

Suzanna has a very big name here, came from my small hometown, Magelang. If you ask the still alive, younger Dutch Indonesian actress, here is Nafa Urbach, also came from my hometown.

Other Dutch Indonesian actress, Paula Verhoeven

Arumi Bachsin

etc. etc.

That's it, I cringe now.
There are many Indonesian celebs posted in this thread and they're almost always half Indonesian half something else. Not what this thread is about

The old Filipino celebs weren't to prove who was more white, but thats the way you took it. It was to show that the entertainment industry in the Philippines USED TO BE very white. Lots of the celebs were pure white. But thats changed (for the better) and now the only white celebs are very old. There are plenty of white foreigners living in the Philippines and none of them has become a celebrity.

Here are some more examples of non-celebrity Filipinos who are from leftover Spanish colonial families

I'd say their population is more "alive and kicking" despite being a small minority.

Last edited by manolopo; 07-09-2019 at 08:26 AM..

Old 07-09-2019, 07:59 AM

https://www.quora.com/How-many-Dutch...ndonesia-today

Old 07-09-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
see Eurasians on a daily basis and nobody even cares because they're so integrated into the culture.
Wait, so do you mean like people who look subtly mixed? 'Cause they're indeed semi-common.

Last edited by jackierudetsky; 07-09-2019 at 08:26 AM..

Old 07-10-2019, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackierudetsky View Post
Wait, so do you mean like people who look subtly mixed? 'Cause they're indeed semi-common.
Yeah, I mean mestizos who look mostly Filipino, like this family

Or this family, except for the dad

And almost everyone in this family too

They can go through society (especially in Metro Manila and Metro Cebu) mostly unnoticed because their looks arent that rare. I’m not saying they look typical, but they at least look partially Filipino, so they’re not seen as foreign. The rest of the people in my last post definitely stand out and people think they’re foreigners in the Philippines. You only realize they’re Filipinos when you hear them speaking Taglish or English with a Filipino accent.

I saw this woman at a restaurant in Manila. I thought she was a tourist until I heard her speaking Tagalog to the waiter. Later I found out that she’s Enrique Iglesias aunt

Old 07-10-2019, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I mean mestizos who look mostly Filipino, like this family

Or this family, except for the dad

And almost everyone in this family too

They can go through society (especially in Metro Manila and Metro Cebu) mostly unnoticed because their looks arent that rare. I’m not saying they look typical, but they at least look partially Filipino, so they’re not seen as foreign. The rest of the people in my last post definitely stand out and people think they’re foreigners in the Philippines. You only realize they’re Filipinos when you hear them speaking Taglish or English with a Filipino accent.

I saw this woman at a restaurant in Manila. I thought she was a tourist until I heard her speaking Tagalog to the waiter. Later I found out that she’s Enrique Iglesias aunt
BTW, did you manage to guess who I was based on my self-description? We've talked before somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia