Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2019, 06:38 AM

400 posts, read 240,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
There are many Indonesian celebs posted in this thread and they're almost always half Indonesian half something else. Not what this thread is about
Off topic or not, that's reality here in Indonesia right now. More and more Indonesians marrying other nationals. In 2015, there were more than 3 million individuals waiting to get Indonesian citizenship as the result of transnational marriages.

https://nasional.tempo.co/read/70966...i/full&view=ok

Quote:
The old Filipino celebs weren't to prove who was more white, but thats the way you took it. It was to show that the entertainment industry in the Philippines USED TO BE very white. Lots of the celebs were pure white. But thats changed (for the better) and now the only white celebs are very old. There are plenty of white foreigners living in the Philippines and none of them has become a celebrity.

Here are some more examples of non-celebrity Filipinos who are from leftover Spanish colonial families

I'd say their population is more "alive and kicking" despite being a small minority.

Those Spanish Filipinos are descendants of rich landlords in the past. And Filipinos treat them with respect. You guys even still practice their culture, not the other way around. Of course they live so comfortably inside The Philippines.

In contrast, Dutch Indonesians were stripped from all their riches. They were seen as "evil colonialists" by many, esp during the first few years after independence. They had to assimilate to local cultures to be well accepted by society. If by "alive and kicking" you mean practicing Dutch culture, no we don't and don't want to practice it.

Similar case happens to newer interracial marriages esp with White, most of them adopt local Indonesian cultures. I don't see those Eurasians forming some kind of new sub-culture. Unlike well established minorities : Indians, Arabs, or Chinese who mostly still practice their ancestor's way of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 06:04 PM

1,112 posts, read 853,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landove View Post
Off topic or not, that's reality here in Indonesia right now. More and more Indonesians marrying other nationals. In 2015, there were more than 3 million individuals waiting to get Indonesian citizenship as the result of transnational marriages.

https://nasional.tempo.co/read/70966...i/full&view=ok

Those Spanish Filipinos are descendants of rich landlords in the past. And Filipinos treat them with respect. You guys even still practice their culture, not the other way around. Of course they live so comfortably inside The Philippines.

In contrast, Dutch Indonesians were stripped from all their riches. They were seen as "evil colonialists" by many, esp during the first few years after independence. They had to assimilate to local cultures to be well accepted by society. If by "alive and kicking" you mean practicing Dutch culture, no we don't and don't want to practice it.

Similar case happens to newer interracial marriages esp with White, most of them adopt local Indonesian cultures. I don't see those Eurasians forming some kind of new sub-culture. Unlike well established minorities : Indians, Arabs, or Chinese who mostly still practice their ancestor's way of life.
Half Indonesians, like half Filipinos, come from many different backgrounds. They dont all have the same foreign background. Thats why they dont have a cohesive sub-culture. Which is why this thread is NOT about them.

And Spanish-Filipinos adopt more Filipino culture than the other way around. For example, almost nobody in the Philippines speaks Spanish anymore. Even Spanish-Filipinos mostly speak Taglish, Visayan, or English like regular Filipinos. A lot of them are very much into the indigenous culture of the Philippines. For example, the Ayala family owns the Ayala Museum, which houses a huge collection of indigenous, pre-colonial artifacts.

I think a lot of Spanish-Filipinos try to overcompensate for the fact that they dont look Filipino, so they try as much as possible to immerse themselves in indigenous culture or get involved in causes that benefit poor Filipinos. Many are historians, artists who focus on indigenous culture, and activists.

These individuals come to mind:

Artist/designer who incorporates indigenous Filipino elements in her work

Film maker who incorporates indigenous culture in his films

One of the most well-know, outspoken historians in the Philippines.

Philanthropist

Human rights activist

By “alive and kicking” I literally mean alive. You gave an example of a woman who has been deceased for over a decade and 2nd or 3rd generation Indos who are probably only a quarter Dutch. It doesnt seem like the population is alive and kicking when most are elderly. Its hard to believe there can be a million Indos left in Indonesia when you only post a few random individuals and not even whole families that are Indos still living there. I dont even think there are a million Spanish-Filipinos left in the Philippines (meaning at least 50% Spanish). Maybe 100,000

Last edited by manolopo; 07-10-2019 at 06:22 PM..

Old 07-11-2019, 02:22 AM

1,004 posts, read 919,809 times
Quote:
Lol. This whole conversation is dumb. The title is “Euro-Asians in Asian countries” You can see from my post here that there’s still a small but existing Eurasian population in the Philippines. They’re still an integral part of Filipino society
maybe you have never known about Indonesia with a variety of mixed backgrounds Euro in the colonial or modern era that may be balanced like the philipines or more above from the philipines, because the exact number of mixtures is not yet known and is certain to increase every time.

maybe this article has caused pinoy to continue to mock Indnesian " "... Spaniards and natives lived together in great harmony, and do not know where I could find a colony in which Europeans mixes as much socially with the natives. Not in Java , where a native of position must dismount to salute the humblest Dutchman. Not in British India, where the Englishwoman has now made the gulf between British and native into a bottomless pit."[17]

I agree with comments @ landove

I don't know why .. this looks like Filipinos really admired colonisme maybe because of the invaders come from europa /white people ?? ( hahah crisis identitas )

Old 07-11-2019, 02:36 AM

1,004 posts, read 919,809 times
villages in Aceh (8 generations) mixed Indo - Portuguese how do you see kids in this video they still have European features like blonde hair color and skin very European , and there are some children who have a mixture of Pakistan ,Indian and Arab they still have Western Asian features, can you show link videos to us villages in the Philippines full of mixed descendants ???

Kumpulan Foto Bulek Lamno Aceh, Keturunan Portugis Di Indonesia | LIAT AJA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjV54Si8PFo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGPQFrpYrUI

Famous Indonesian - Dutch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKLnmMacEB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex9QtmOz9sU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvhdwMQNy-A

Old 07-11-2019, 02:41 AM

^ im not the one claiming there are a million Spanish-Filipinos. No way. But you guys are claiming there are up to a million Indos still in Indonesia. How is that even possible? If you’re claiming anyone with even a drop of Dutch blood, then yeah it’s possible. But im not claiming every Filipino with a drop of Spanish blood as Spanish-Filipino. Otherwise it would be at least 30 million people. But this thread isnt about people with a drop of European blood. And its not about Indonesians or Filipinos who have a foreign European parent. It’s about descendants of European colonial families still living in Asia. You posted several celebs with a non-Indonesian parent. I posted many different non-celebrities, whole families. See my post on the previous page https://www.city-data.com/forum/55623191-post156.html

Old 07-11-2019, 03:02 AM

You’re acting like it’s huge population in Aceh that looks European. No, these articles say it was only a few individuals, and one of the articles says most of them died in the 2004 tsunami.

Indonesia's last blue eyes close forever

Aceh stories: The last Portuguese-Acehnese of Lamno

So thats not “villages full of mixed descendants” Its one specific village with a few individuals who show European recessive traits. Its really interesting, but let’s not exaggerate. Most European Filipinos dont live in villages, unless you count gated communities as villages.

I posted many pics of those Filipinos (mostly non-celeb families)

Here- https://www.city-data.com/forum/54647785-post36.html

And here- https://www.city-data.com/forum/55623191-post156.html

Last edited by manolopo; 07-11-2019 at 03:11 AM..

Old 07-11-2019, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Half Indonesians, like half Filipinos, come from many different backgrounds. They dont all have the same foreign background. Thats why they dont have a cohesive sub-culture. Which is why this thread is NOT about them.

And Spanish-Filipinos adopt more Filipino culture than the other way around. For example, almost nobody in the Philippines speaks Spanish anymore. Even Spanish-Filipinos mostly speak Taglish, Visayan, or English like regular Filipinos. A lot of them are very much into the indigenous culture of the Philippines. For example, the Ayala family owns the Ayala Museum, which houses a huge collection of indigenous, pre-colonial artifacts.

I think a lot of Spanish-Filipinos try to overcompensate for the fact that they dont look Filipino, so they try as much as possible to immerse themselves in indigenous culture or get involved in causes that benefit poor Filipinos. Many are historians, artists who focus on indigenous culture, and activists.
You are confused here ... You can be a person of particular race collecting artifacts from other cultures, but it doesn't mean you live in that culture. You can be an American, work as Historian specializing ancient Egypt civilization, but doesn't mean you practice Egyptian culture.

Quote:
By “alive and kicking” I literally mean alive. You gave an example of a woman who has been deceased for over a decade and 2nd or 3rd generation Indos who are probably only a quarter Dutch. It doesnt seem like the population is alive and kicking when most are elderly. Its hard to believe there can be a million Indos left in Indonesia when you only post a few random individuals and not even whole families that are Indos still living there. I dont even think there are a million Spanish-Filipinos left in the Philippines (meaning at least 50% Spanish). Maybe 100,000
I don't understand your way of thinking.

When I said most Spanish Filipinos nowadays look just like average Asians, you defended its about genes and genotype thingy. But when I give you example of Dutch Indonesian, you say they are not "alive" because most of them (who look typical Eurasian and able to speak Dutch) are elderly. So what do you call newer generations, the direct descendants of those old Dutch Indonesians? You don't think that all of them are childless and live miserably in their old days, do you?

I limit posting photos here coz it's useless. Both of us will look like idiots by posting tons of pics to support our claims.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:03 AM

[quote=manolopo;55639515]You’re acting like it’s huge population in Aceh that looks European. No, these articles say it was only a few individuals, and one of the articles says most of them died in the 2004 tsunami.

Indonesia's last blue eyes close forever

Aceh stories: The last Portuguese-Acehnese of Lamno

So thats not “villages full of mixed descendants” Its one specific village with a few individuals who show European recessive traits. Its really interesting, but let’s not exaggerate. Most European Filipinos dont live in villages, unless you count gated communities as villages.

Quote:
I posted many pics of those Filipinos (mostly non-celeb families)

Here- https://www.city-data.com/forum/54647785-post36.html

And here- https://www.city-data.com/forum/55623191-post156.html

Being mixed is not something so special here, that needs huge attentions. You rarely find Indonesians discussing about it even in the internet, unlike Filipinos.

Easily I can find pics of random Spanish Filipinos coz you guys pay too much attention on them. Creating multiple threads in many forums just to discuss about this. I cringe everytime in the middle of discussion, Pinoys start to flood photos of those Spanish Filipinos they got from other forums.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:43 AM

Indonesians on here are clearly discussing mixed Indonesians, so apparently you care about them. You’ve been here discussing them for several pages. And if you click on those links about Aceh, Indonesians clearly think of the Portuguese descendants as more beautiful. So its not just a Filipino thing.

You made the statement that there could be a million+ Indos in Indonesia and supposedly the largest population of Eurasians in the region. Did you mean 1 million Indonesians with even 1% Dutch? Because I could believe that, but not a million Indonesians with significant Dutch ancestry (around 50% or more). If they were a significant population, you shouldnt have a problem finding group photos of them. Even the videos about them show them distantly spread out from one another without much of a community. There’s nowhere in Indonesia or even the Philippines where you’ll see descendants of European colonials in large numbers. If we’re counting anyone with a Spanish or Dutch ancestor then that kinda defeats the purpose of the conversation because millions of people fit into that category. It’s not out of the ordinary to have 1 distant European ancestor.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:09 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,017,869 times
Quote:

These individuals come to mind:

Artist/designer who incorporates indigenous Filipino elements in her work

Film maker who incorporates indigenous culture in his films

One of the most well-know, outspoken historians in the Philippines.

Philanthropist

Human rights activist

How common do you think are Filipinos who have at least 10% Spanish but less than 50%?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia