Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2019, 07:55 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,228,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Pushing an agenda to control or eradicate whatever religion other people have is a HUGE problem.
Except when it's christians doing the eradicating.

If christians had their way, Atheists wouldn't be able to hold public office, or any government job or any job at all. No one would even be allowed to be an Atheist.

Funny how you have no problem for the blatant discrimination of Agnostics and Atheists.

The whole reason my mother took my sister and I to a Methodist church was because of blatant christian discrimination, bigotry, prejudice and coercion.

Those people would never have allowed my mother to hold any position or standing in the PTA without their approval, and the only way to get their approval was to show up at church and Sunday school on Sundays.

That's why all religion is bad, because it uses bigotry to coerce.

There's no harm in eradicating religion. Showing people a better way is always beneficial.

My choice of weapons is logic and reason. Contrast that with the religious who use swords and rifles, and christians would no qualms using nukes.

As you know, once religion is taken away there cannot be a well ordered, well regulated society.

That pope was a liar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 08:01 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,840,694 times
Quote:
It is dying with no help from the atheists. Logic dictates that religion will die. The issue is: What will humans use to feed their tribalism? And the tribe requires 100% loyalty to whatever creed they have.
You may be right - that it is dying without help from atheism - but we'll keep pouring bullets into the knackered nag just to make sure the process continues.

(I had to post this)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGkg5ytaXlA

Patriotism. Xenophobia. Unless rational education enables us to understand what evolution did to is in order to have the individual, tribe and species survive.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:33 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,374,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You may be right - that it is dying without help from atheism - but we'll keep pouring bullets into the knackered nag just to make sure the process continues.

Patriotism. Xenophobia. Unless rational education enables us to understand what evolution did to is in order to have the individual, tribe and species survive.
Ha, ha. The movie is a good example as how hard it is to eradicate 200,000 years of evolution in one generation or two.

In the old days cultural changes took centuries and now it only takes a decade or two. The rapid cultural change is way ahead of the biology. The amygdala and the rest of the limbic system is still there. The imprints of 200,000 years are not that easy to erase. In fact, I predict that in a moment of stress, tension, famine, and anger you could lose your cool and refuse to sing Kum-baya with members of the other tribe.

In the same manner the GOOD moments of life can bring people of different tribes together if they share something in common. Robert Sapolsky, describes this in the 1914 Xmas miracle. His views are 100% atheistic on this subject. I suggest you read his book:

BTW, your tribal nature made you sound just like Mircea. See what I mean? The horse is dead, no worries.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Except when it's christians doing the eradicating.

If christians had their way, Atheists wouldn't be able to hold public office, or any government job or any job at all. No one would even be allowed to be an Atheist.

Funny how you have no problem for the blatant discrimination of Agnostics and Atheists.

The whole reason my mother took my sister and I to a Methodist church was because of blatant christian discrimination, bigotry, prejudice and coercion.

Those people would never have allowed my mother to hold any position or standing in the PTA without their approval, and the only way to get their approval was to show up at church and Sunday school on Sundays.

That's why all religion is bad, because it uses bigotry to coerce.

There's no harm in eradicating religion. Showing people a better way is always beneficial.

My choice of weapons is logic and reason. Contrast that with the religious who use swords and rifles, and christians would no qualms using nukes.

As you know, once religion is taken away there cannot be a well ordered, well regulated society.

That pope was a liar.
Agreed!

Old 06-28-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Ha, ha. The movie is a good example as how hard it is to eradicate 200,000 years of evolution in one generation or two.

In the old days cultural changes took centuries and now it only takes a decade or two. The rapid cultural change is way ahead of the biology. The amygdala and the rest of the limbic system is still there. The imprints of 200,000 years are not that easy to erase. In fact, I predict that in a moment of stress, tension, famine, and anger you could lose your cool and refuse to sing Kum-baya with members of the other tribe.

In the same manner the GOOD moments of life can bring people of different tribes together if they share something in common. Robert Sapolsky, describes this in the 1914 Xmas miracle. His views are 100% atheistic on this subject. I suggest you read his book:

BTW, your tribal nature made you sound just like Mircea. See what I mean? The horse is dead, no worries.
Nobody says it will be easy, but understanding it is the first step. What i do is no more tribal than scientists realising that a theory has to be revised. i reckon it's 'tribal thinking' that makes you see it as something else.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Nobody says it will be easy, but understanding it is the first step. What i do is no more tribal than scientists realising that a theory has to be revised. i reckon it's 'tribal thinking' that makes you see it as something else.
Another terrible component of tribalism is assuming that the other tribe is evil and 100% wrong with no possibility of agreeing in the middle. I have seen that first hand multiple times and it happens in non religious tribal groups.

I highly recommend you read Sapolsky. He is an atheist so you have nothing to lose.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:29 PM

51,074 posts, read 24,571,497 times
Quote:
No one denies religion is on the way out. There is no need for religion in 2019. Religion was needed in ancient times and now we are in modern times. Thanks for beating the dead horse again!
Actually, over the past couple of years that I've been on here, quite a few posters have argued that religion is not on the way out at all.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:44 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,893,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Even more so as he is atheist himself.

Old 06-29-2019, 03:48 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,275,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Even more so as he is atheist himself.
So he claims. Does most of what he says really sound like it?

Old 06-29-2019, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Another terrible component of tribalism is assuming that the other tribe is evil and 100% wrong with no possibility of agreeing in the middle. I have seen that first hand multiple times and it happens in non religious tribal groups.

I highly recommend you read Sapolsky. He is an atheist so you have nothing to lose.
I recommend
(a) you start listening and stop repeating the same debunked arguments.
(b) you stop waving books under my nose. If you have an argument (new one - not old repeated debunked one) to make, make it. The 'You are wrong because of this book' ploy is not going to work.

Nor will the pejorative epithets like 'tribalism' or 'newbie atheist'. Me? . That just makes you look ridiculous. I may not be well informed, educated, clever, logical or able to post well, but nobody can say that I am a newbie in atheist apologetics - not without looking completely idiotic, at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism