Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2019, 04:44 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Thank you kind sir. I don't doubt the bolded passages will work well, quotemined as evidence of how we Militant atheists are latent Stalinists working to exterminate all Christians and send them to labour camps.

Ok, you are not Vic. He was a professed atheist who was one of the most powerful posters pf religious apologetics we have seen in a long while. Had a penchant for 'Philosophical' arguments (and authorities) and an entrenched 'assume Theism is true until 100% disproved' debating mindset - whatever he claimed.
You forgot he only used William Lane Craig's arguments, and when refuted, he would move goal posts before repeating his refuted arguments.

And when talking about things he did not understand, he made everything up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 06:43 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, you post your versions of what other people have written, but change the meaning of what they have written. You do it often, and you need to stop. And every time you do it, some of us are going to point it out.

You shouldn't be editorializing other people's comments to make it look like they are saying something different.
Let me emphasize to all of you that altering a quoted post so as to change the meaning is considered a very serious offense. We're not talking about removing the part not relevant to the reply (clearing indicating that this is done), but changing the meaning of the quoted post. Please, please, please report any post where you see that happen.

Years ago, we saw people quote a post that said "That is absolutely right," change it to say "That is absolutely wrong," and reply "Fixed ir for you." (usually followed by some emojis. This is a serious infraction and needs to be reported.

If there is no quoted post, it will be more difficult to deal with, but clear violations will get the moderators' attention. Report and carefully describe what is wrong.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:01 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I don't think the claim is that he actually changed the post, but just restated and reinterpreted it to pretend it meant something else.

It's a cheesy but common Internet forum tactic that skirts the TOS, and we have another poster on R&S forum who is famous for doing that. My response is to note that I understand what he's doing and no longer respond to him.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:20 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Thank you kind sir. I don't doubt the bolded passages will work well, quotemined as evidence of how we Militant atheists are latent Stalinists working to exterminate all Christians and send them to labour camps.

Ok, you are not Vic. He was a professed atheist who was one of the most powerful posters pf religious apologetics we have seen in a long while. Had a penchant for 'Philosophical' arguments (and authorities) and an entrenched 'assume Theism is true until 100% disproved' debating mindset - whatever he claimed.
OK, so perhaps he was a bit like me. However, I do not call myself an atheist I prefer the term agnostic and nothing else. There is nothing wrong with philosophical arguments. I have no interest in proving there is a God as it is likely there is none. Furthermore, whether God is real or not is a moot point. Nothing changes!

Old 06-30-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Would you? If you moved to Spain would you go to bull-fights? Would you have your supper at mid-night and your lunch at 4pm? Would you go to Spanish bars and sit there like a lemon because you can't speak the language? Would you eat your food drenched in salt? Would you eat food cold food when it's supposed to be hot? Or would you go to American enclaves were they spoke your language and ate the food you liked, served the beer that you are used to and played the games you like? Don't bother to answer. I know the answer There are hundreds of Spanish customs that you would reject in favour of your own comfortable customs.

...and on top of that, depending on where you go, you will ALWAYS be seen as an 'outsider', no matter how well you try to integrate or no matter how well you speak the language. That's just the way it is amongst 'birds'.
I have been to Spain a lot. And after a few days I get used to eat late. I also go to the local bars. I guess I have a more open mind.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:37 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
However, I do not call myself an atheist I prefer the term agnostic ...
You can 'prefer' what ever you want but if what you tell us is correct, that you believe that the likelihood of gods existing is as good as zero, that makes you atheist. If I remember, you stated in a post that you were 99.9% sure that gods do not exist. So go ahead and call yourself agnostic if you fear the word atheist so much but it won't alter the fact that you are not agnostic, but atheist.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:40 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
I have been to Spain a lot. And after a few days I get used to eat late. I also go to the local bars. I guess I have a more open mind.
So going to a local bar when you are on holidays is your idea of 'integrating' is it?

Old 06-30-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
You can 'prefer' what ever you want but if what you tell us is correct, that you believe that the likelihood of gods existing is as good as zero, that makes you atheist. If I remember, you stated in a post that you were 99.9% sure that gods do not exist. So go ahead and call yourself agnostic if you fear the word atheist so much but it won't alter the fact that you are not agnostic, but atheist.
OK, perhaps I do not want to call myself an atheist because new atheists tend to be militant. I would rather be an old fashion atheist that keeps his views to himself. Does that makes sense?

Old 06-30-2019, 09:41 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
OK, perhaps I do not want to call myself an atheist because new atheists tend to be militant. I would rather be an old fashion atheist that keeps his views to himself. Does that makes sense?
You keep your views to yourself? After all these posts?

Old 06-30-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
So going to a local bar when you are on holidays is your idea of 'integrating' is it?
I speak Spanish so I have no issues with talking to the locals. Many Brits in Spain are old retired people people looking for warm weather. I would not expect them to hang out with the locals or even learn the language, they are too old for that sort of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism