Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2019, 05:36 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,883,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
So he claims. Does most of what he says really sound like it?
No. I was being sarcastic. He doesn't seem to know what an atheist is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 06:54 AM

16,734 posts, read 15,739,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
No. I was being sarcastic. He doesn't seem to know what an atheist is.
He's been reminded many, many times. By many different members.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:01 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,883,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Yes. Keeps telling atheists what they are, what they aren't and what the ought to be, whilst not knowing what an atheist is. Very odd!

Old 06-29-2019, 08:26 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,366,045 times
Quote:
Quote:
New Atheism
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

New Atheism is a term coined in 2006 by the journalist Gary Wolf to describe the positions promoted by some atheists of the twenty-first century.[1][2] This modern-day atheism is advanced by a group of thinkers and writers who advocate the view that superstition, religion and irrationalism should not simply be tolerated but should be countered, criticized, and exposed by rational argument wherever their influence arises in government, education, and politics.[3][4] According to Richard Ostling, Bertrand Russell, in his 1927 essay Why I Am Not a Christian, put forward similar positions as those espoused by the New Atheists, suggesting that there are no substantive differences between traditional atheism and New Atheism.[5]

New Atheism lends itself to and often overlaps with secular humanism and antitheism, particularly in its criticism of what many New Atheists regard as the indoctrination of children and the perpetuation of ideologies founded on belief in the supernatural. Some critics of the movement characterize it as "militant atheism" or "fundamentalist atheism".
I am none of the above.

And I do not understand why so many atheists are offended by the term NEW, MILITANT, FUNDAMENTALIST ATHEISM.

Atheism is a formidable position and there is no need to attached anything else to it. However, in many instances the militant or fundamentalist atheism is not desirable and adolescent in nature.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I am none of the above.

And I do not understand why so many atheists are offended by the term NEW, MILITANT, FUNDAMENTALIST ATHEISM.

Atheism is a formidable position and there is no need to attached anything else to it. However, in many instances the militant or fundamentalist atheism is not desirable and adolescent in nature.
Total and complete nonsense. These people have exactly ONE thing in common; they do not believe in any God (or gods). Period. They have nothing to be fundamental about. The comment you replied to was simply that the regulars know that you are an atheists (if you are telling the truth) and seem to refuse to use the term.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Total and complete nonsense. These people have exactly ONE thing in common; they do not believe in any God (or gods). Period. They have nothing to be fundamental about. The comment you replied to was simply that the regulars know that you are an atheists (if you are telling the truth) and seem to refuse to use the term.
I just quoted the WIKI definitions.

And I have said a billion times that atheism is a respectable position.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:12 AM

51,004 posts, read 24,497,750 times
Quote:
So maybe it's time to stop and not to it a second billion times.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I just quoted the WIKI definitions.

No, you quoted what one guy was cited as saying on Wikipedia. He doesn't speak for anybody but himself. Why did you have to say that atheism is a respectable position? Did somebody imply that it isn't? Why won't you admit that you are an atheist, just like all these others do?

Last edited by mensaguy; 06-29-2019 at 09:41 AM..

Old 06-29-2019, 09:41 AM

16,820 posts, read 5,025,446 times
Quote:
I am none of the above.
No, the subject was you being an atheist, not a new atheist. And I do not understand why you are afraid of this term.

Quote:
Because these terms are used to dismiss vocal atheism, which is all new atheism is. It is an attempt to shut down any criticism of religion, usually by the religious.

Quote:
Atheism is a formidable position and there is no need to attached anything else to it.
Then stop doing it.

Quote:
However, in many instances the militant or fundamentalist atheism is not desirable and adolescent in nature.
Your ex-Christian background is showing.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
No, you quoted what one guy was cited as saying on Wikipedia. He doesn't speak for anybody buy himself. Why did you have to say that atheism is a respectable position? Did somebody imply that it isn't? Why won't you admit that you are an atheist, just like all these others do?
OK, I am an agnostic atheist. I have been since I was a young teen. A self discovery with no real consequences, a totally logical position. But, I do not make a big deal out of this discovery, maybe that is the difference. And I do not see myself as antireligion, however, I recognize that fundamentalists of any religion or movement are dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism