Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2020, 05:52 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,904,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I suspect that if somehow or other, all religion was vanquished from the planet, most of the formerly religious would wind up being equally stupid about something else.
I love it. I don't have time to look but there have been a number of what appear to be legitimate studies from major universities (Harvard, Stanford, Cornell), analysing the relationship between intelligence and religious conservatism. There is one, an inverse relationship, though it's probably extremely ill mannered to bring it up. Setting aside the small percentage of exceptions, when one factor (like intelligence) goes up, the other factor (religiousness) goes down. Alternatively, the less intelligence, the more religion comes to the fore.

This makes sense psychologically because if a person has intellectual deficits, they are aware of it at some level, if only subconsciously. So religion with all its reassurances, fills in the gaps and offers some degree of comfort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 05:59 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I love it. I don't have time to look but there have been a number of what appear to be legitimate studies from major universities (Harvard, Stanford, Cornell), analysing the relationship between intelligence and religious conservatism. There is one, an inverse relationship, though it's probably extremely ill mannered to bring it up. Setting aside the small percentage of exceptions, when one factor (like intelligence) goes up, the other factor (religiousness) goes down. Alternatively, the less intelligence, the more religion comes to the fore.
Yeah. I've seen some of those studies. Atheism favorably correlates to both education levels and high IQ's. Fundamentalism correlates to low education and low IQ's. One would be tempted to join with the atheists simply on the grounds of the better credentials if nothing else. With which group do you wish to identify?

Of course the response to such is usually something dismal..."I don't need no pointy headed innalecshul tellin' me I don't know what I know in my heart."

Old 04-18-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah. I've seen some of those studies. Atheism favorably correlates to both education levels and high IQ's. Fundamentalism correlates to low education and low IQ's. One would be tempted to join with the atheists simply on the grounds of the better credentials if nothing else. With which group do you wish to identify?

Of course the response to such is usually something dismal..."I don't need no pointy headed innalecshul tellin' me I don't know what I know in my heart."

Yeah. And it's really sad when it's people that you love and they treat you like it's wrong, and an affront to them, if you're intelligent. Like there's something wrong with you. This happens to a lot of children, little boys and girls who need direction, and just want to be loved, and what they get, instead, is bullying, violence and abuse.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:54 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:

I think that what's TRULY interesting is that though there is the oft-cited correlation, it's usually in the realm of 0.25...if you square that you have the variance explained which is well under 10%. So, what explains the other 90% of religiosity BESIDES intelligence?

Perhaps we can get beyond intelligence - it's just much too easy to use that to bash folks when it's not even the main contributor to religiosity.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:47 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I think that what's TRULY interesting is that though there is the oft-cited correlation, it's usually in the realm of 0.25...if you square that you have the variance explained which is well under 10%. So, what explains the other 90% of religiosity BESIDES intelligence?

Perhaps we can get beyond intelligence - it's just much too easy to use that to bash folks when it's not even the main contributor to religiosity.
A voice of reason!

Old 04-18-2020, 10:09 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
You got that right.

I've seen some unbelievably dumb conspiracy theory posts during this pandemic matched only by the previous flavour of the month theory that the earth is flat.

I'm not sure what it is that makes some people automatically believe anything except the actual truth.

I'd be interested to know the correlation between conspiracy theorism and theism.
I've noticed this weird thing with the conspiracy theorists. They call everyone else sheeple yet they will also bust your balls for fact-checking.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:18 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times

Old 04-18-2020, 10:29 PM

@Grandstander: FWIW, I found my blog post that addressed this, along with some of the studies:
Quote:
"Conservative syndrome" might explain why religious people tend to be of lower intelligence
Many studies have reported a negative correlation between religiousness and intelligence. Now, a new study suggests that social conservatism may explain the link, acting like a glue between the two.
https://www.zmescience.com/science/p...elief-0432432/

The Relation Between Intelligence and Religiosity
A Meta-Analysis and Some Proposed Explanations
Miron Zuckerman, Jordan Silberman, Judith A. Hall
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs...urnalCode=psra

Why Liberals and Atheists Are More Intelligent
http://www.asanet.org/research-and-p...re-intelligent

The Study on Intelligence and Religion That You Weren’t Supposed to Hear About
https://staffanspersonalityblog.word...to-hear-about/

There's a lot more out there which substantiates the thesis, but nothing that suggests the contrary.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:54 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post

Bad news, Stan. You will still get the blame.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:48 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

I think that the urge to believe is at the root of it. And there are plenty of intelligent believers. Now just why some people find belief more compelling than thinking, I don't know. I'm inclined to think that realizing that the universe is a scary and literally inhuman place is a more important factor than intelligence per se.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism