Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 06:07 AM

562 posts, read 1,790,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Mayor Reed is looking more and more like a one-term mayor by the minute...
Wow, give the guy a break, he ha only been in office for a couple of months, and gotten quite a lot done at that in such a short time. The fundamental problems is Marta has and continues to lose money. So where is the money going to come from to increase security? I am sure it costs a lot more to increase security than few hundred (probably a lot less) riders marta will lose through some crime. Most of the people in Atlanta that ride Marta are people that have to and not that want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 06:16 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuresident View Post
Wow, give the guy a break, he ha only been in office for a couple of months, and gotten quite a lot done at that in such a short time. The fundamental problems is Marta has and continues to lose money. So where is the money going to come from to increase security? I am sure it costs a lot more to increase security than few hundred (probably a lot less) riders marta will lose through some crime. Most of the people in Atlanta that ride Marta are people that have to and not that want to.
I was thinking the same thing myself. There have been a lot of threads about 'Five Points'--I can only assume that TPTB are aware of the problem. There doesn't seem to be a quick or easy solution. I honestly don't keep up with all the finer points of what the City of Atlanta has done/is doing to try to address this issue--which seems to a large degree to be 'The Homeless'.

I assume this is also connected to economic issues---high unemployment. There doesn't seem to be a quick fix for that either.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:45 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I was thinking the same thing myself. There have been a lot of threads about 'Five Points'--I can only assume that TPTB are aware of the problem. There doesn't seem to be a quick or easy solution. I honestly don't keep up with all the finer points of what the City of Atlanta has done/is doing to try to address this issue--which seems to a large degree to be 'The Homeless'.

I assume this is also connected to economic issues---high unemployment. There doesn't seem to be a quick fix for that either.
Hire more cops.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:53 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Hire more cops.
They would have to be paid. $$$--seems to be a major factor?

Old 01-08-2011, 08:23 AM

969 posts, read 1,959,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Hire more cops.
APD has hired at least 200 more police officers. Right now they are in training and won't be out on the streets until the spring. The Mayor wants a total of 900 more by the end of his term. Reed has made the city better financially (of course there is more to do), but still it's very possible he could afford to reach his goal.

And MARTA doesn't need money (or a lot of it) to put a large chunk of their current police force at Five Points... but even if they did their police force is pretty useless. They need to crack down on the laziness of most of their "cops". I wonder if APD can do anything? I'd like to see more police Downtown and around the Five Points/Underground area. They should be walking around, riding bikes, and/or on horses.

Last edited by mike7586; 01-08-2011 at 08:53 AM..

Old 01-08-2011, 08:49 AM

969 posts, read 1,959,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
As much as I hate to say this, but Atlanta is on its way to become more like Detroit than like Tokyo. I hate to turn my back on my own city, but if things keep going the way they are, I might just have to move back to California instead, since it is becoming more clear that California is more like Japan with its safety and other similarities.

Of course a crime wave with 5 killings in one week is nothing unusual for Atlanta, but it is more common in the summer months. Also, the fact that it is the first week of the new year will give people an impression that it is a sign for how the entire year will be. Hypothetically speaking, if it continues at this rate, 5 killings per week X 52 weeks = 260 killings for the entire year, which Atlanta has had before, back in the crack epidemic days. Hopefully 2011 won't be that bad, but I think it will easily pass 2010's totals (whatever that is, I think its just over 100).
Whoa, let's not go there. Atlanta has a very long way to become like Detroit and are you forgetting all the strides the city has made in the last 10 years? With all the people that have moved into the city, there is too much at stake now to let it decline like that. The demographics of the city have changed a lot (for the better). Unfortunately, the Five Points/Underground area is still a little on the sketchy side people wise, but it has been like that and there is still hope that things in that area will change. I get annoyed too, but it takes time for big changes to occur. Also, it's not like the nice areas are turning into slums.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:16 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Whoa, let's not go there. Atlanta has a very long way to become like Detroit and are you forgetting all the strides the city has made in the last 10 years? With all the people that have moved into the city, there is too much at stake now to let it decline like that. The demographics of the city have changed a lot (for the better). Unfortunately, the Five Points/Underground area is still a little on the sketchy side people wise, but it has been like that and there is still hope that things in that area will change. I get annoyed too, but it takes time for big changes to occur. Also, it's not like the nice areas are turning into slums.
I have to agree. You can't generalize about a city becasue some areas have crime problems. What's going on at Five Points is in no way representative of life in Midtown, Buckhead, Emory, Cumberland, Perimeter, or the vast majority of Atlanta.

What you can say is that certain specific areas have a problem with crime. That stinks and it needs to be fixed. The best solution would be for the selfish knuckleheads who are committing these crimes to simply stop doing it.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:10 AM

396 posts, read 601,597 times
went to the thrashers game last night - rode marta from lenox and back, and saw quite a few cops riding the trains (both ways) and standing on the platform at lenox, walking through the crowds waiting for the train at 5pts and gwcc. from that limited experience, they seem to be stepping it up, and i hope they continue...

Old 01-08-2011, 10:12 AM

357 posts, read 783,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuresident View Post
Hiring more cops is an investment and investmetns dont always show signs of profitablility until a few years down the road. Everyone in Atlanta knows how MARTA is perceived and crap like this only adds fuel to the fire (and rightfully so). Change the perception. This starts with security.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:20 AM

282 posts, read 634,489 times
This train station sounds like a deadly place. Very serious for people to fighting on train platforms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta