Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 05:43 PM

6,563 posts, read 12,061,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
It depends what time you take the train if it is during the peak hours you will be among other business/educated people. Off peak you get the riff raff. Same in NYC, the NJ transit north east corridor train is all professionals during peak hours and off peak you have people peeing, vomiting, masturbating, harassing women and acting loud and obnoxious. PATH is the same.
You won't get the riff raff on Japanese trains, at least not that I've seen, and I've taken the last train at night and first one in the morning. That is why Japan is better than anywhere in the U.S., and I need to stay here if possible. Even the transit systems that people say is an improvement over MARTA do not compare to the Japanese systems, and likewise the overall crime rates of even the safest cities in the U.S. are still higher than Tokyo's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 05:47 PM

6,563 posts, read 12,061,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Whoa, let's not go there. Atlanta has a very long way to become like Detroit and are you forgetting all the strides the city has made in the last 10 years? With all the people that have moved into the city, there is too much at stake now to let it decline like that. The demographics of the city have changed a lot (for the better). Unfortunately, the Five Points/Underground area is still a little on the sketchy side people wise, but it has been like that and there is still hope that things in that area will change. I get annoyed too, but it takes time for big changes to occur. Also, it's not like the nice areas are turning into slums.
I wasn't saying that Atlanta was going to turn into Detroit soon, I was just saying it was more likely to become like Detroit than like Tokyo. If you were to survey people and ask if Atlanta was more like Detroit or Tokyo, I think just about all would say Detroit. In fact, that might be a good thread in the City vs. City Forum, but I don't think Greg would allow that. One major difference between Atlanta and Detroit: Detroit does not have a train system (other than the 1 mile people-mover monorail loop in Downtown), so there aren't too many stations for people to get killed.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:01 PM

969 posts, read 1,960,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I wasn't saying that Atlanta was going to turn into Detroit soon, I was just saying it was more likely to become like Detroit than like Tokyo. If you were to survey people and ask if Atlanta was more like Detroit or Tokyo, I think just about all would say Detroit. In fact, that might be a good thread in the City vs. City Forum, but I don't think Greg would allow that. One major difference between Atlanta and Detroit: Detroit does not have a train system (other than the 1 mile people-mover monorail loop in Downtown), so there aren't too many stations for people to get killed.
Not even NYC is like Tokyo (you can't compare Japan to the United States - completely different culture). People get hit by trains in NY, I'm sure people get mugged and even killed at some subway stations, and my girlfriend, myself and her friend were harassed by a homeless crackhead once on the subway (he was pretty much harmless, just annoying). Maybe you should check out the news in other cities... I'm not justifying these incidents but they are not specific to just Atlanta. And for the record, Atlanta is nothing like Detroit. Have you even been to Detroit?

Old 01-11-2011, 06:04 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,842,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by society619 View Post
On What? Crime on Marta or Atlanta?
Crime on Marta

Old 01-11-2011, 06:09 PM

[quote=rcsteiner;17359644]I wonder how common your apparent attitude is? Maybe it explains the issues we're seeing with the MARTA police ... they don't really care, either.[/quote

Since your concerned and you care why dont you become a Marta police and save the day.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:11 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
You won't get the riff raff on Japanese trains, at least not that I've seen, and I've taken the last train at night and first one in the morning. That is why Japan is better than anywhere in the U.S., and I need to stay here if possible. Even the transit systems that people say is an improvement over MARTA do not compare to the Japanese systems, and likewise the overall crime rates of even the safest cities in the U.S. are still higher than Tokyo's.
Toyko has it relatively easy ... they don't have to integrate as many different cultures and peoples as most US cities do.

"Better" is a subjective call, and in some ways it probably is, but I'm also guessing that life is more limited in some ways in Toyko than you'll find here.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 01-11-2011 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: Corrected stupid typos. :-)

Old 01-11-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
Yea, the message seems to be, white people stay away. This aint yo turf!

LOL.. if you say so sir.. People just need to stop living in fear... If your scared to ride Marta because you think the Homeboys are going to get you, Then dont ride it period.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I wonder how common your apparent attitude is? Maybe it explains the issues we're seeing with the MARTA police ... they don't really care, either.
Since your concerned and you care why dont you become a Marta police and save the day.
(1) I suspect they aren't interested in 48-year-old programmers. I'm a big guy, and strong enough, and I can take care of myself, but don't expect me to run for distance.

(2) I really don't understand why people like you don't consider a safe city and competent police presence to be important. Perhaps you could explain?

I don't live in the City of Atlanta, and there are many reasons for that, some of which are becoming apparent in this thread. If you ever wonder why some folks have an issue with some places ITP ... look in the mirror. It's your city. Why are you happy with its current state? Sure, it used to be worse, but that doesn't make it "good" now.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
(1) I suspect they aren't interested in 48-year-old programmers. I'm a big guy, and strong enough, and I can take care of myself, but don't expect me to run for distance.

(2) I really don't understand why people like you don't consider a safe city and competent police presence to be important. Perhaps you could explain?

I don't live in the City of Atlanta, and there are many reasons for that, some of which are becoming apparent in this thread. If you ever wonder why some folks have an issue with some places ITP ... look in the mirror. It's your city. Why are you happy with its current state? Sure, it used to be worse, but that doesn't make it "good" now.

You can have a thousand security gaurds patrol marta stations. If someone wants to committ a crime there going to do it regardless. I have been riding marta for 7 years and havent seen anything out the ordinary that I havent seen anywhere else. Marta is one of the safest systems out there. Folks can have a issue with Atlanta, what does that have to do with me. My self worth isnt based on status of the city or what people think of it. What goes on in Atlanta you can find anywhere. I never said I was happy with the current state. What can I do about it and how can lil ole me Change it.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
You can have a thousand security gaurds patrol marta stations. If someone wants to committ a crime there going to do it regardless.
That's a fair statement, and I actually agree to some extent, but it's been my own experience that a visible presence can be a fairly good deterrent if people believe that most **** behavior will result in the hassle of being arrested.

Quote:
I have been riding marta for 7 years and havent seen anything out the ordinary that I havent seen anywhere else. Marta is one of the safest systems out there. Folks can have a issue with Atlanta, what does that have to do with me. My self worth isnt based on status of the city or what people think of it. What goes on in Atlanta you can find anywhere. I never said I was happy with the current state. What can I do about it and how can lil ole me Change it.
I see a lot of stuff even in suburban Atlanta that was new to me when I arrived here six years ago, so in my experience "it happens everywhere" is a pretty weak argument. It doesn't, even in the US.

There's a rougher edge down here, which some might see as cool, so maybe that explains it. My own theory is that some of it is related to the fact that I rarely see cop cars in a lot of the metro, and a lot of stuff (like panhandling in public places, folks asking for money at stoplights, etc.) would result in an arrest where I came from. Don't let it happen, and eventually it will stop.

What does it have to do with you? Not much aside from the fact that you made a snide comment. Did you not expect a response here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta