Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 07:02 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,714,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
^^^Exactly. That sounds like the whole MARTA girl incident (you can Youtube that). Nobody defended that poor lady.
From what I remember from the video, folks did but what can you do?

Either way, she knew the lady and the lady knew her ass was crazy...

Quote:
Therefore they get used more by choice riders who choose to ditch their nice car for the trains.
Or they never had cars in the first place because they are captive riders just like the folks here...

FWIW, the NYC Subway is just as sketchy in the "ghetto" as it is here..only difference is a gate agents and such and maybe more people on each platform...

Never seen the NYPD on the train or platforms besides near the tourist districts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 07:24 PM

431 posts, read 942,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
The main problem with MARTA is it mainly attempts to serve "captured" riders, people who have no alternative forms of transportation beside public transportation. This was the goal of MARTA when it was first built, and it succeeds. You have half the north-south line running through the ghetto, and basically all of the east-west line running through the ghetto.

I have already detailed a pretty harrowing experience I had in Arts Center Station about 2 years ago, but my roommate had a knife pulled on him at 5 Points, too. People like to pull up statistics to show that MARTA is actually safer than other metro systems, but I think stats are heavily skewed and honest discussion about MARTA is basically forbidden in the media in this city, because race has to be brought up, and that's taboo. We all know about "Marta girl" and that chess champion that was killed in daylight while on the way to the airport because he wouldn't give up his phone to some thug.

MARTA cops really are a joke. I ride MARTA fairly frequently since I live in Midtown and across from a station, but I almost never see cops on the platforms where most of the crimes seem to occur. The MARTA cops also have attitude! Take D.C.'s metro and you can ride it safely and comfortably all through the night. That's because it doesn't only serve government worker/poor areas, but goes all throughout the city. The thugs and ghetto people are diluted by suits, young profs, college students, and people running errands.

Put MARTA's route map in D.C., and what you'll have are a few lines from Prince Georges county to downtown and Reston, VA, basically bringing captured riders and ghetto thugs to commercial areas. D.C., though, has an expanded system that also goes to white collar areas, college areas, and residential neighborhoods in wealthier areas.
‘Marta Girl’ living in a special home | Sandra Rose

Old 01-09-2011, 10:34 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,842,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Don't be an idiot.

Your already one...

Old 01-09-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
You could be a bit more sensitive to his situation and that doesn't solve the problem. There's usually somewhat of a mix of people on the train, but it leans very heavily on the ghetto side. You can't escape the ghetto/thug types on any transit system in any city, but they are the minority of the riders on most lines. With MARTA, they are the majority on most of the lines. It's just how it is. I don't feel unsafe and it doesn't stop me from using the train every once in awhile, but lots of other people feel unsafe or have had issues. You can't deny MARTA has an image problem (a negative one) and you would *think* they would want to get rid of it.
If she doesnt like it then the best thing for her to do is not ride marta trains since the demographics are bothering her. If she thinks the South Line is ghetto, tell her to ride speta thru North Philly, she will appreciate South line after riding thru there. I know there are ghetto people and I know there are non ghetto people, SO WHAT. Septa has It, Metro, EL and All others have it, some even worse. I ride Marta to work everyday. The way people are describing Marta is just to funny. MArta can have a negative Image I really dont care because its not going to keep me off the train nor will it stop the people who ride it going to games and other special events. I never felt unsafe on Marta NEVER!!! and I really dont have a reason too. I feel unsafe driving my car with all the High risk of me getting into a accident on 85 / 285.. I have seen worse things on NYC subway train than I have seen on Marta.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:37 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Your already one...

You never miss an opportunity, do you?

Old 01-10-2011, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post

You never miss an opportunity, do you?
I see you dont either. You make sure you get it in..

For those who dont know what 5 points looks like, here is a thread that will show you the area...

- One Hour - One City: Atlanta - 5 Points! - - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 01-10-2011, 05:04 AM

479 posts, read 703,389 times
US recidivism rate within one yr of release 44% commit new crimes
3 yrs out 66% commit new crimes

Numbers dont lie. Harsher sentences, less pleasnant jail conditions, those are my answers.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:31 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
For those who dont know what 5 points looks like, here is a thread that will show you the area...

- One Hour - One City: Atlanta - 5 Points! - - SkyscraperPage Forum
Those photos could have been selected to back up the author's contention that the Five Points area is mono-racial. In my opinion downtown is somewhat more diverse than that.

Last edited by arjay57; 01-10-2011 at 08:26 AM..

Old 01-10-2011, 08:15 AM

20 posts, read 42,667 times
It's too terrible. I have to take the marta at five points every day.....

Old 01-10-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Those photos could have been selected to back up the author's contention that the Five Points area is mono-racial. In my opinion downtown is somewhat more diverse than that.

IN 5 points only you mostly see Blacks, You go A lil further north and thats where you see all the diversity, with the Ga state students and what not. The Area is not that bad during the Day for those who are there everyday Like I am. I like going sneaker shopping at 5 points
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta