Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2015, 12:19 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
So we are all in agreement that the new Cobb stadium will be attracting ~20% fans by car (and 100% less fans by MARTA)?

Cobb fans boys are going to either acknowledge that this stadium will be attracting a lot less fans or that there are major planning / parking / transportation issues with the new stadium. It can't be both.
If you honestly believe this stadium, which is much closer to the Braves core of fans, is going to draw less fans then you're even less bright than I thought. It's hilarious to see you ITP people crying about this yet claiming that you don't really care lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 12:22 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Bingo, this development is walkable once visitors drive to it, just like Avalon. The fact that the Braves put a large surface lot at the intersection of Windy Ridge and Circle 75 shows that they are not encouraging ped access, because Cobb County has a project to add a pedestrian plaza and multiuse trail on Windy Ridge over I-75 and Interstate North Pkwy. This trail will dump users at a surface parking lot, that they will have to walk nearly 1 mile to reach the development.
like 90% of the people in this area drive to get where they want to go anyways. It's not the City of Atlanta. Not to mention they are also building garages along the back side of the stadium and it's not going to be anywhere NEAR a mile walk. They just built 2 garages less than a quarter of a mile on the back side of the stadium and currently building 3 more. It's pretty clear some of you have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:35 PM

559 posts, read 832,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Yep. Think we will see lots of game-day pay lots popping near the stadium. There is a lot of money to be made there. Unfortunately those lots will not have a positive effect on the area.
The Braves have purchased most of the undeveloped land in the immediate area. The only "game-day pay lots" you'll see pop up near the stadium are those who have existing businesses and parking lots.

The majority of the businesses directly near Suntrust Park close around 5-6pm and their parking lots sit completely unused every night. Those businesses will have the option of keeping their lots closed .... like the Childress Klein buildings at the Galleria ... or multi-purposing those lots for additional revenue from Braves games.

When you get further away from the stadium, like a couple of low-rent lots past the Racetrack on Spring Road, you might see some unsightly parking. But then again, those areas are: A) a loooong walk from the stadium, B) only likely to fill up on sell-outs, and C) less lucrative than lots closer to the stadium.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:45 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
In the 6000 parking spots on the property and thousands more in existing surrounding lots.

The capacity will be 20% less than Turner Field
I think they are having issues getting surrounding property owners to agree to this idea; eg: Cumberland Mall and Galleria have said no at this time.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
like 90% of the people in this area drive to get where they want to go anyways. It's not the City of Atlanta. Not to mention they are also building garages along the back side of the stadium and it's not going to be anywhere NEAR a mile walk. They just built 2 garages less than a quarter of a mile on the back side of the stadium and currently building 3 more. It's pretty clear some of you have no idea what you're talking about.
I am referring to the rendering Fuqua provided.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:02 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
If you honestly believe this stadium, which is much closer to the Braves core of fans, is going to draw less fans then you're even less bright than I thought. It's hilarious to see you ITP people crying about this yet claiming that you don't really care lol
So you agree then that there are major parking / transportation issues then? There can't be both when you have 25% less parking spaces and have no transit options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
The only "game-day pay lots" you'll see pop up near the stadium are those who have existing businesses and parking lots.
Good luck seeing that prediction come true. You are expecting less fans and thus less parking needed at the new stadium then?

Old 10-26-2015, 09:07 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
The new Braves development is really popping. Not only a new stadium, but a new top drawer hotel, new apartments, a new office tower, a cool walkable mixed used dining and retail zone.

These are things the current stadium location has lacked for half a century. Can't we all get behind this as a city?

Old 10-26-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The new Braves development is really popping. Not only a new stadium, but a new top drawer hotel, new apartments, a new office tower, a cool walkable mixed used dining and retail zone.

These are things the current stadium location has lacked for half a century. Can't we all get behind this as a city?
No, personally they made it hard for me and my family to visit a game now, when at Turner Field we could comfortably ride our bikes. So for selfish reasons I will not get behind this.
This development is only walkable in the sense, that visitors can walk once they drive and park. Exactly like Avalon and for most people Atlantic Station. they are not splitting up the super block property, but instead keeping it and giving most people 1 option to get to the development.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:34 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Unfortunately no, Cobb County seems more intent to try spin this as them one-upping Atlanta and furthering their rivalry by spinning this as Braves fans don't live in the city. There also seems to be an inability for those Cobb-supporters to even acknowledge that there are major issues that need to be addressed around this development.

But I am happy for at least this attempt at making a walkable destination in Cumberland. I hope to see more of this there.

I would love for this stadium relocation to be used by Cobb to build connections to the rest of the metro instead of walling themselves off. Something like rail connectivity into the city (maybe by even allowing CoA to annex the area and bring MARTA) would go a long way to address the issues they are facing and make me a fan of Cobb and them embracing regionalism.

But for now it seems this only to be dividing the region.

I would really love for Cobb to prove me wrong. And I think eventually Cobb will change, it just does not appear to be happening anytime soon.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:41 AM

1,054 posts, read 921,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
So for selfish reasons I will not get behind this.
Really, all you need to do is type this in every Braves thread, we get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta