Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 09:52 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Get your history correct. It was the "non-black people" that white-flighted out of the area that caused any lack of diversity in the first place.

It amazes me that there are still people out there that see all-black areas and think that is due to a notion of black people not wanting diversity. As if.
Off topic to the OP but not to your post and I think you would be a good resource on this. Is there a map or series of maps that would show the historical patterns of Atlanta's neighborhoods by race? I only know of areas that were white and because of white flight in the 60s and 70s became all black. We know the racial segregation of the south, I know exactly what street in Hogansville, GA was considered white and at what point it was considered black and it still follows pretty closely to that same pattern to this day But that is a town of 3000.

I get the feeling that in segregated days (if I may use that term... pre 60s segregation that is) that whole neighborhoods weren't considered "white" and "black" as they have been in the last 5 decades or so, but that Atlanta's neighborhoods were more like my hometown. White and black together, but a definite white part of the neighborhood and a definite demarcation for the black part of the neighborhood. I think that historically Atlanta wasn't so much a one side of town is white and another black as it sort of morphed into post white flight, but that it was actually more diversified in that strict sense of the word.

Hope I am making sense.... an example I am thinking of... West End was an original street car suburb, first settled by wealthy whites. Whites stayed in the area up until white flight. But the AUC is almost adjacent and surely an area that was primarily black for their entirety of existence.

So what neighborhoods were always white, what were diversified but still segregated within themselves and what neighborhoods were always black? Any resource on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 09:58 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Off topic to the OP but not to your post and I think you would be a good resource on this. Is there a map or series of maps that would show the historical patterns of Atlanta's neighborhoods by race? I only know of areas that were white and because of white flight in the 60s and 70s became all black. We know the racial segregation of the south, I know exactly what street in Hogansville, GA was considered white and at what point it was considered black and it still follows pretty closely to that same pattern to this day But that is a town of 3000.

I get the feeling that in segregated days (if I may use that term... pre 60s segregation that is) that whole neighborhoods weren't considered "white" and "black" as they have been in the last 5 decades or so, but that Atlanta's neighborhoods were more like my hometown. White and black together, but a definite white part of the neighborhood and a definite demarcation for the black part of the neighborhood. I think that historically Atlanta wasn't so much a one side of town is white and another black as it sort of morphed into post white flight, but that it was actually more diversified in that strict sense of the word.

Hope I am making sense.... an example I am thinking of... West End was an original street car suburb, first settled by wealthy whites. Whites stayed in the area up until white flight. But the AUC is almost adjacent and surely an area that was primarily black for their entirety of existence.

So what neighborhoods were always white, what were diversified but still segregated within themselves and what neighborhoods were always black? Any resource on this?
All of that is in this book that she recommended:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/06911...4jL&ref=plSrch

Old 07-04-2016, 10:04 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
All of that is in this book that she recommended:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/06911...4jL&ref=plSrch

Yes, Brother Marks...

You will find exactly what you are looking for in this book:

Kruse, K.M.: White Flight: Atlanta and the Making of Modern Conservatism. (eBook and Paperback)

Get it and read it. You won't regret it.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:06 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:

One related tidbit from your post that you will find in the book (among many other things)...

Ashby Street once had a black part and a white part.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:07 PM

446 posts, read 397,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Poor, and everything that comes as part of that.

Instead of pricing people out of their homes, we should be working to elliminate their poverty, and the symptoms that come from it. That means jobs, education, health services, etc.
You're younger than 50, aren't you?

Old 07-04-2016, 10:20 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
You're younger than 50, aren't you?
What is that supposed to mean?

Old 07-04-2016, 11:38 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:

White people had no problem living down the street or around the corner from black people ... as long as they went to different schools, shopped at different stores, drank from different fountains, rode in the back of the bus -- and did not vote.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:56 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
it is a waste of time to bother to engage this person; they don't want to listen and learn, they want to shout and be right. all we can do is hope that reasonable people who are thinking along the same lines can see and understand that while gentrification has improved a lot of formerly abandoned areas, it comes at the cost of excluding people entirely based on their income. and since we all know that women and minorities make less money on average, it also excludes people based on race and gender. whether that's the intention or not is irrelevant, because that's the effect. i don't think any reasonable person believes that a person's income, race, or gender has any effect on whether or not they can be a good neighbour or community member.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:40 AM

56 posts, read 60,612 times
Be grateful that you can buy a property in atlanta area because it's cheaper than renting, but for god's sake if you've ever picked up a newspaper in the past 15 years you would know that property values don't go up very much in atlanta.

Nearly every condo on peachtree street is worth around the same or lower than it was in 2002, to give you a perspective on atlanta.

You people don't even know what gentrification is, because practically anyone making above $25k/year in your city can buy a condo on peachtree street. Come to Denver or any city in the west and THEN you'll get a reality check on what real gentrification is.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:35 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4242 View Post
Be grateful that you can buy a property in atlanta area because it's cheaper than renting, but for god's sake if you've ever picked up a newspaper in the past 15 years you would know that property values don't go up very much in atlanta.

Nearly every condo on peachtree street is worth around the same or lower than it was in 2002, to give you a perspective on atlanta.

You people don't even know what gentrification is, because practically anyone making above $25k/year in your city can buy a condo on peachtree street. Come to Denver or any city in the west and THEN you'll get a reality check on what real gentrification is.
No, YOU need to come back to Atlanta to get a reality check. You couldn't be more off-base!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta