Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2017, 07:52 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,268,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Attendance isn't the only measure to judge the decision on. There's also the net profit for the team and the fan experience. We all know attendance goes up and down based on the excitement surrounding the team.
You can't reason with these trolls. They've already emotionally pre-decided their whole opinion and narrative on this stadium and development. There is literally no logic or facts you could present that they would even consider, unless it supports their already decided conclusions and attitudes.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:54 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,882,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
How long will the whining go on?

Good grief.

I don't think this will ever not be a thing.

But again, ask whodean. He brought this thread back to life with "Say, how is that Braves STP attendance thing going?" and is now getting all upset because attendance has actually dropped further since this thread was originally posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Attendance isn't the only measure to judge the decision on. There's also the net profit for the team and the fan experience. We all know attendance goes up and down based on the excitement surrounding the team.
You can move the goalposts now if you want and change the subject back to something else we have covered dozens of times, but the question that was asked was about attendance.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:04 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,236,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I don't think this will ever not be a thing.

But again, ask whodean. He brought this thread back to life with "Say, how is that Braves STP attendance thing going?" and is now getting all upset because attendance has actually dropped further since this thread was originally posted.

You can move the goalposts now if you want and change the subject back to something else we have covered dozens of times, but the question that was asked was about attendance.
I fail to see how being ranked 14th in the league in attendance out of 30 teams is so terrible. The product on the field is improving & the attendance will likely follow suit if the team keeps this up.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:13 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,882,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
I fail to see how being ranked 14th in the league in attendance out of 30 teams is so terrible. The product on the field is improving & the attendance will likely follow suit if the team keeps this up.
I didn't say 14th in the league was terrible. But it certainly is not great for the first year at a new stadium. And it is certainly well below the attendance the Braves hoped to see this year, knowing full well the product they were putting on the field.

I think we all agree that the product on the field matters a lot to attendance. But this move was also sold as something that would boost attendance. That is looking like it will be a difficult case to make. And you can be sure those rosey attendance numbers were included in the "economic calculations" of all the benefits this move would bring to Cobb. So those financial benefits are also growing increasingly suspect (not that many people gave them much credit anyways).

The people of Cobb are sharp and threw Tim Lee out over it. But the deal is done. The Braves are going to be in Cobb. It has turned me off to the team personally, but for most people they are still fans and will go to games they can make it to. And that is great. But that doesn't mean we have to pretend this was a great deal.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I didn't say 14th in the league was terrible. But it certainly is not great for the first year at a new stadium. And it is certainly well below the attendance the Braves hoped to see this year, knowing full well the product they were putting on the field.

I think we all agree that the product on the field matters a lot to attendance. But this move was also sold as something that would boost attendance. That is looking like it will be a difficult case to make. And you can be sure those rosey attendance numbers were included in the "economic calculations" of all the benefits this move would bring to Cobb. So those financial benefits are also growing increasingly suspect (not that many people gave them much credit anyways).

The people of Cobb are sharp and threw Tim Lee out over it. But the deal is done. The Braves are going to be in Cobb. It has turned me off to the team personally, but for most people they are still fans and will go to games they can make it to. And that is great. But that doesn't mean we have to pretend this was a great deal.
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if the Braves organization skewed those attendance estimates to encourage Cobb to approve the project. As someone who lives in the county near SunTrust Park, I was initially opposed to the stadium and was happy when Tim Lee got booted out of office for the sneaky way he handled the whole deal. But now that the stadium is here, I have to admit that the whole project is pretty impressive.

I understand how the move alienated some of the team's fans, particularly those who live in the city and had a connection with Turner Field. But like you mentioned, the deal is done. As a Braves fan, I want the team and the stadium to be successful.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:58 PM

114 posts, read 112,352 times
Quote:
Attendance is directly tied to team performance. Always has and always will. If STP is 14th out of 30 teams in attendance, then they are overachieving since the team is playing sub-500 ball right now. That fact could be directly attributed to the new stadium and Battery development. 14th out of 30 is fine for this team. They aren't playing that well (but I guess nobody takes that into account).

Old 06-28-2017, 07:03 PM

114 posts, read 112,352 times
Quote:
I understand how the move alienated some of the team's fans, particularly those who live in the city and had a connection with Turner Field. But like you mentioned, the deal is done. As a Braves fan, I want the team and the stadium to be successful.
People are fickle. They will come back to the team in due time. You will always have a small minority of hardcore disgruntled hold-outs, but the majority of those who are boycotting the team out of principle of the stadium deal will eventually come back. Especially if the team starts winning again.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermie125 View Post
Attendance is directly tied to team performance. Always has and always will. If STP is 14th out of 30 teams in attendance, then they are overachieving since the team is playing sub-500 ball right now. That fact could be directly attributed to the new stadium and Battery development. 14th out of 30 is fine for this team. They aren't playing that well (but I guess nobody takes that into account).
Yeah, attendance is pretty good so far, all things considered. The Braves had moved to #13 in attendance last time I looked a few days ago, but that may have changed since then.

And there are certainly teams that deserve more criticism for attendance than Atlanta. Houston has by far the best record in the MLB, but are only ranked #15 in attendance, quite a weak fan response, especially for a big city. Washington also doesn't draw that great considering they have one of the best teams in baseball, placing #11 in avg attendance.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:23 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,162,036 times
Quote:
Yeah, attendance is pretty good so far, all things considered. The Braves had moved to #13 in attendance last time I looked a few days ago, but that may have changed since then.

And there are certainly teams that deserve more criticism for attendance than Atlanta. Houston has by far the best record in the MLB, but are only ranked #15 in attendance, quite a weak fan response, especially for a big city. Washington also doesn't draw that great considering they have one of the best teams in baseball, placing #11 in avg attendance.
Part of that is because of the lag effect. I.e., fans tend to take a couple months to respond to their team's success or failures with corresponding attendance levels.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:06 AM

81 posts, read 92,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Part of that is because of the lag effect. I.e., fans tend to take a couple months to respond to their team's success or failures with corresponding attendance levels.
Stop with the excuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta