Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 09:29 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,160,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
People will make their own narrative.

But facts are:

Attendance the opening year at this new stadium is below opening year at their last stadium;
Below the average attendance of the 20 years at their old stadium;
Below the average attendance when this thread was started;
Below the average attendance the last year before the Braves announced this move;
And way below the attendance the Braves hoped for this year;

I know myself and others that have not gone to a single game since the Braves announced leaving the city neither at Turner nor STP. So I don't think anyone was expecting them to fall below the attendance of the lame-duck years at Turner. But if that is the one fact you need to cling to to think this move was a great idea I don't think I can help you.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think our soccer team joined at the perfect time. Let's face it, the Braves just haven't been a big part of the psyche of the urban core since the early 2000s. So on that face, the move to Cobb just didn't deal Atlanta's cultural psyche that much of a blow. This isn't sour grapes--this is what I've seen. The Braves have instead marketed themselves to a suburban and rural base, and though there are plenty of in-towners who go to games, it's that outside-the-urban-core market that feels like it defines their base.

The United, by contrast, felt like the city of Atlanta's team from Day One. You can't walk around Midtown, O4W, Decatur, etc. without seeing the logo somewhere. Hell even one of our streetcars is decked out in the five stripes. And my god, the atmosphere at those games...

Old 10-02-2017, 10:04 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
The new Braves complex is amazing and from what I've read they had great attendance for a team that was playing pretty lousy baseball.

I haven't been down to see this football club yet but I will have to check it out.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:26 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The new Braves complex is amazing and from what I've read they had great attendance for a team that was playing pretty lousy baseball.

I haven't been down to see this football club yet but I will have to check it out.
Ownership turned a pro sports team from contenders, into real estate development (that they control 100% of.)

Old 10-03-2017, 07:01 AM

1,054 posts, read 922,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
the move to Cobb just didn't deal Atlanta's cultural psyche that much of a blow.

The Braves have instead marketed themselves to a suburban and rural base, and though there are plenty of in-towners who go to games, it's that outside-the-urban-core market that feels like it defines their base.
Well, yeah.

The Braves showed why they made the move geographically with their map of where their customers live.

So yeah, they don't try to cater to the "urban core". They are rolling in dough at STP with the Battery, the franchise is very very happy with the move. So are most fans. Can't please everyone so you got to please yourself.

And hey, awesome that the soccer team is succeeding too!

Old 10-03-2017, 09:59 AM

712 posts, read 701,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think our soccer team joined at the perfect time. Let's face it, the Braves just haven't been a big part of the psyche of the urban core since the early 2000s. So on that face, the move to Cobb just didn't deal Atlanta's cultural psyche that much of a blow. This isn't sour grapes--this is what I've seen. The Braves have instead marketed themselves to a suburban and rural base, and though there are plenty of in-towners who go to games, it's that outside-the-urban-core market that feels like it defines their base.

The United, by contrast, felt like the city of Atlanta's team from Day One. You can't walk around Midtown, O4W, Decatur, etc. without seeing the logo somewhere. Hell even one of our streetcars is decked out in the five stripes. And my god, the atmosphere at those games...
Most United fans live in the suburbs. That's especially true for the team's Hispanic fans who make up a vastly larger portion of MLS fans than of any other pro sport in the US. And any non-NBA sports franchise that doesn't market hard to the northern suburbs won't survive. The United are hardly the "city of Atlanta's team". They are at best the sixth most popular after the other pro teams and UGA and Tech football.

Enjoy the United. It's a fun atmosphere. MLS is building a larger audience but it's still a niche product. As for the Braves, they moved to Cobb not Calgary. There is no inherent reason for it affect anyone's or any collective psyche.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:17 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,267,247 times
United are definitely really popular in-town (though the city is typically a bit less into sports), but have more fans in the suburbs, simply because 80%+ of our metro population live in the suburbs. The suburbs have more of every kind of people than the city proper, and that will always be the case. I know tons of huge United fans in the suburbs. Both my Dad and brother (who both live in Lawrenceville) are hardcore United fans, they watch every single game. They just love soccer. I'm more of a moderate fan.

Falcons are probably still the #1 team around here. Braves were in the 90's, and no one cared much about the Falcons.

I think the city dwellers should not go to the Braves, because they suck. Or maybe because you're waiting for the mass transit connection or something. At least have a fair reason. Not because they moved two miles outside of the city limits, jeez.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:58 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,406,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
United are definitely really popular in-town (though the city is typically a bit less into sports), but have more fans in the suburbs, simply because 80%+ of our metro population live in the suburbs. The suburbs have more of every kind of people than the city proper, and that will always be the case. I know tons of huge United fans in the suburbs. Both my Dad and brother (who both live in Lawrenceville) are hardcore United fans, they watch every single game. They just love soccer. I'm more of a moderate fan.

Falcons are probably still the #1 team around here. Braves were in the 90's, and no one cared much about the Falcons.

I think the city dwellers should not go to the Braves, because they suck. Or maybe because you're waiting for the mass transit connection or something. At least have a fair reason. Not because they moved two miles outside of the city limits, jeez.
There is no probably about it lol. The falcons attendance is by far better than every pro sports team here. The braves aren't good, the soccer team is the "new thing" in town, and the NFL is clearly more popular than every other sport. That's just the way it is. The united have the luxury of having quite a large hispanic population here (most of which don't care about baseball or football) which is why I said it's dumb to compare them. They all draw different people. But, when it boils down to it, there is no comparison to the game experience at the battery vs turner field.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:53 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
There is no probably about it lol. The falcons attendance is by far better than every pro sports team here. The braves aren't good, the soccer team is the "new thing" in town, and the NFL is clearly more popular than every other sport. That's just the way it is. The united have the luxury of having quite a large hispanic population here (most of which don't care about baseball or football) which is why I said it's dumb to compare them. They all draw different people. But, when it boils down to it, there is no comparison to the game experience at the battery vs turner field.
I would think the Braves draw more than the Falcons over the course of the season. Yes, the Falcons get twice as many per game, but they only play at home 8 times or so, whereas the Braves play 80 home games.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:59 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,267,247 times
The United are setting all time attendance records for MLS. I'd be curious to see what their total attendance is, vs. the Falcons total attendance. MLS plays, what, about 19 home games in a season? That means they only have to have 42% of the Falcons' average attendance in order to surpass them.

And yeah, the Braves play 81 home games, so there's no way they're not the highest attendance around. At least in the total sense.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:04 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,124,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
The United are setting all time attendance records for MLS. I'd be curious to see what their total attendance is, vs. the Falcons total attendance. MLS plays, what, about 19 home games in a season? That means they only have to have 42% of the Falcons' average attendance in order to surpass them.

And yeah, the Braves play 81 home games, so there's no way they're not the highest attendance around. At least in the total sense.
What irks me is that people are trying to make cross-fandom a "zero sum" thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta