Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 06:18 AM

23,449 posts, read 44,056,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Heh. I remember Sir Francis vividly (since I grew up with the Vikings in the 70's), but I had totally forgotten that he lived down here.
I remember when he lived in a really cool Southwestern-style house in the Amberwood subdivision in Oak Grove. That house was on the market recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 08:35 PM

207 posts, read 939,983 times
Default Bai

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
That was a big hangout for students at Briarcliff and Cross Keys High Schools. The big drawing card was that they never ID'd you for beer.
We bought beer at the BAI for 5 centss a glass

Old 02-24-2009, 11:00 AM

3 posts, read 8,402 times
Does anyone remember Pizza by Candlelight in downtown Decatur?

Old 03-01-2009, 04:06 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,082,278 times
Someone asked about my favorite sandwich shop and I couldn't think of one until a memory came flooding back. I miss Brother Junipers!

Old 03-01-2009, 08:13 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
Favorite sandwich shops makes me think of a deli in the shopping center at West Paces Ferry shopping center where there is now a Houstons, Flying Biscuit and Pero's Pizza. I think it was called something like SnackN...something. Great, now it is going to drive me crazy.

The sandwiches were like three inches thick!

Old 03-01-2009, 09:56 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,735,054 times
Z-FORCE!!!
Willie-B
7-11s
Less than $1 to ride Marta
and looking for the yellow hearse at Freaknik.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:45 PM

4 posts, read 20,993 times
My Dad took me to see a movie there my first time in Atlanta, to visit Ga.Tech.. No matter how many movies I saw there I was always awed by the architecture, the organ coming up out of the stage, and esp. the ceiling!

Old 04-06-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantadawn View Post
Does anyone remember Pizza by Candlelight in downtown Decatur?
Yep, at the corner of S. Candler and E. College. That was back when pizzerias were few and far between in this city.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:11 PM

4 posts, read 20,993 times
Well WQXIKID,

You have pretty listed all my favorite inexpensive restaurants:
1) Lum's for beer-steamed hot dogs, schooners of beer, fries better than McD's and the best selection of bottle/can beer I have ever seen! My favorite location was on Peachtree.
2) Crops and B for huge sandwiches at a reasonable price, a discount on pitchers of beer with student ID, an additional discount of pitchers with a fraternity ID. I don't remember if the discounts were everyday, weekdays, only or limited to a certain day of the week or for that matter how much the discounts were (can't understand why!).
3) Scrambler's Village for the carload that could not decide on a type of food, much less a restaurant - burgers, pizza, mexican or chicken.
4) Dunk & Dine on Peachtree next to the Fox Theater was great for their $0.97 Texas Breakfast Special (3 eggs, choice of ham, bacon or sausage, grits (sub fries for those of us who had not learned to like grits yet), toast and coffee came to $1 with tax! A super place for the wee hours of the morning (like after a party, after a date (incl Tues nights if you were dating a girl from Emory), or when studying late (yeah right!). Another big plus was that it was within walking distance of Ga. Tech campus, for those nights that you shouldn't be driving.
5) The Varsity - naked steaks/dogs, NOIPC, multi-deck parking with carhops that jumped on your hood to take you to the best empty spot (for them) and wore roller skates. What more is there to say?
6) Stan’s Sandwich Shops for convenience or when I couldn’t afford Crops and B.

Plus a lot of other places/things I loved:

1) The San Souci for raids by our delightful governor Lester Maddox, better know for ax-handles and the Pickwick Restaurant!
2) Ponce de Leon Sears as much for the pronunciation of Ponce De Leon as for the sheer size of the store!
3) Businesses being closed on Wednesday afternoon, so that Drs. could keep their handicaps down, of course that was very wide spread at least in the south!
4) Dairy home deliveries, very wide spread across the country, but so nice to remember! As an early teen, I would get up early on summer days to catch and help the milkman in my subdivision and those close by, my reward was a pint of chocolate milk.

Can you help me with the name of a chain of Atlanta Bar-B-Que restaurants? The only location I can recall for sure was on Northside Dr.?

Last edited by Tech72RAT; 04-06-2009 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: Appearance

Old 04-06-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech72RAT View Post
Can you help me with the name of a chain of Atlanta Bar-B-Que restaurants? The only location I can recall for sure was on Northside Dr.?
Was it The Seven Steers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta