Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 05:46 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I get what you mean, and while I'm not exactly keen on the government being in control of everything, what happens when a free-market becomes infeasible for the masses? That does seem to be slowly occuring here in America.

There still needs to be some sort of cap given relative incomes.

SF currently has the highest income in this country and one of the top ten in the world if I'm not mistaken - but what good is that if it costs $1,000,000 to buy a 3 br 2 ba house -- To me something about that is way out of whack.
The problem is not caused by a free market, it is caused by govt regulation. Namely zoning, permitting, etc.

If the market was allowed to operate freely, there would be plenty of affordable homes.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:09 AM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
I don't live in downtown austin so won't be affected by the changes to the existing panhandling and camping ordinances the city council is voting on this week, 6/20, which will very likely result in an increase in the number of homeless panhandling and camping downtown.

I expect in a very few years Austin will be filled with homeless people like seattle's sidewalks and parks. the voters in austin elected progressive politicians who, I think, see the homeless as the oppressed class, instead of mentally ill, drug addicted criminals, and the 'rich' residents as the oppressor class, instead of taxpayers.

homeless tents, poop on the street, and drug addicts is what downtown dwelling austin progressives want where they live and work. after all, they voted for a city government who is encouraging, through their governance, this to happen.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 06-17-2019 at 07:20 AM..

Old 06-17-2019, 07:44 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I don't live in downtown austin so won't be affected by the changes to the existing panhandling and camping ordinances the city council is voting on this week, 6/20, which will very likely result in an increase in the number of homeless panhandling and camping downtown.

I expect in a very few years Austin will be filled with homeless people like seattle's sidewalks and parks. the voters in austin elected progressive politicians who, I think, see the homeless as the oppressed class, instead of mentally ill, drug addicted criminals, and the 'rich' residents as the oppressor class, instead of taxpayers.

When mental health services and substance abuse treatment services become more affordable and these populations are less marginalized then homelessness with improve. Until then we may be headed toward more problems, as discussed at length here.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:18 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,139 times
A Message From Ann Kitchens Regarding Proposed Housing - Focused Shelter-she sent this to S. Austin residents thru Next Door

Dear Neighbors,
People need a place to live.

If Austin is going to address homelessness, the long-term answer is that people need a safe, healthy place to live. No person should have to live under a highway. That’s not good for anyone, it’s not good for our neighborhoods and it’s not good for Austin.

That’s why the City Council is taking action this Thursday to help fill in a missing piece in Austin’s response to homelessness. Recommended as a best practice by the National Alliance to End Homelessness, the Council will vote to take the next steps to develop a pilot Housing-Focused Shelter.

In a few words, a Housing–Focused Shelter is a secure, welcoming, and temporary place for people to live that focuses on providing the services they need to get into permanent housing as quickly as possible.

Facts on a Housing-Focused Shelter:
Services are provided for 100% of the people living at the center, tailored to their needs
Services are geared to allow self-sufficiency and meet daily living needs
This is not a drop-in center; services are only available for people while staying at the center
Individuals not staying at the center are not allowed to gather outside
People are referred by agencies serving homeless individuals, with the goal of providing a shelter for people staying in nearby encampments
There is no drop-in services and no intake location

This Thursday, June 20th, the City Council will consider items 177, 178, 179.
June 20, 2019 Austin City Council Regular Meeting | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin

The items will authorize negotiation and purchase of a building along Ben White Blvd, which is at 1112 W. Ben White (see map here). https://www.austintexas.gov/edims/cfm?id=322009

Our community has a critical need for this new kind of shelter that is designed and managed to help homeless individuals get a real chance to find a permanent home.

But it also has to work for our community. That’s why restrictions will be placed on the property, including securing the property, not allowing camping, limits of no more than 100 beds, and services only for people living there. The vision and plan is to pilot a new kind of shelter that serves as a community asset, offering people an alternative to living under highways and in greenbelts.

I understand the concerns that people may have – South Austinites want to help those in need but are also concerned about the public health and safety issues we are seeing on our streets.

It comes down to the fact that this situation will not resolve itself and, without action, it will only worsen. It’s time for Austin to take more immediate strategic action to address homelessness. I believe, and the city must ensure, that a Housing-Focused Shelter operates as a good neighbor.

Please give me a call to let me know if you have questions or concerns 512-978-2105.

You can also see this Fact Sheet with background information and questions/answers that I hope you find helpful.
http://assets.austintexas.gov/austin...0617122001.pdf

Best Regards,
Ann Kitchens

district5@austintexas.gov

Old 06-19-2019, 06:49 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
New Orleans of all places just converted an old VA hospital which was flooded by Katrina into a homeless shelter.

If New Orleans, which is a poor city, can do this, Austin surely can:

https://www.wdsu.com/article/new-low...-nola/23345265

Old 06-19-2019, 07:01 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
The only “abandoned” hospital around Austin that I am aware of is Brackenridge, and that building is slated for demolition to expand the new Dell/UT facility.

Maybe some of the closed big box stores can be reconfigured into shelters?

Old 06-19-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
The only “abandoned” hospital around Austin that I am aware of is Brackenridge, and that building is slated for demolition to expand the new Dell/UT facility.

Maybe some of the closed big box stores can be reconfigured into shelters?
I was going to say Highland Mall but then it's being converted to ACC. I still think part of it is available though maybe?

Old 06-19-2019, 07:51 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Reagan High School could be a potential conversion project, but it is too close to two neighborhoods with families.

Another possibility would be to acquire hundreds of surplus FEMA trailers and put them out near the “tiny house” project that already exists.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:20 AM

What about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYuy1LBJJys

Old 06-19-2019, 08:58 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
From the Daily Skimm:

What's putting on its hard hat...

Google. Yesterday, the company said it would invest $1 billion to create at least 15,000 new homes in the San Francisco Bay Area. In case you needed to Google it, there are about 45,000 Google employees living in the area. Silicon Valley's been accused of taking the housing and homelessness crisis there from bad to worse. Now, Google is saying 'let's share the wealth' and will be repurposing some of the land it owns for housing. It'll also give money to nonprofits focused on things like homelessness and displacement, and create an investment fund to incentivize developers to build more affordable housing. The timing of this announcement comes as protesters are expected to call out Google's impact on housing during a big shareholder meeting today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin