Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Australia vs. Canada
Australia 46 54.76%
Canada 38 45.24%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 02:46 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times

Advertisements

What country would you like to live in?

Australia vs. Canada

Climate: Australia by a gazillion times
Quality of life: Australia
Crime: tie
Stores/Shopping: Canada
School/College: tie
Entertainment/Things to do: Canada
Diversity: Canada
Economy: Australia
Culture: Canada
Food: Canada
History: Canada
Overall beauty: Australia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 03:30 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
In my opinion: it's a tie.

Having been to both places I rate them both at the very top of the best places on earth to live. Austalia a bit better in climate and flora/fauna, Canada a bit better in history, charm, and culture.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:01 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,707,996 times
Climate: Australia!
Quality of life: Canada
Crime: Canada is better I believe
School/College: Not sure
Entertainment/Things to do: Australia?
Diversity:Canada
Economy: Not sure
Culture: Australia
Overall beauty: Canada, Austraila comes really close though.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:18 PM

12 posts, read 67,991 times
Climate: Canada.. I can't stand the strong sun and the heat in Australia..
Quality of life: Canada
Crime: ehh... tie?
School/College: Canada
Entertainment/Things to do: Canada
Diversity: Canada
Economy: Australia
Culture: Canada
Overall beauty: The beaches are beautiful but everything else is dry and dull in Australia. Sooo.. Canada

Old 11-13-2013, 07:55 PM

218 posts, read 376,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Four seasons? Most of Canada doesn't get a real summer.
Toronto, and Montreal's July average highs of 26.6ºC make them hotter than both Sydney, and Melbourne's 25.9ºC average January highs.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:36 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,742,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidUsername View Post
Toronto, and Montreal's July average highs of 26.6ºC make them hotter than both Sydney, and Melbourne's 25.9ºC average January highs.
Ummm....Sydney and Melbourne CBDs aren't most of Australia.... You've only got to a few km inland from the Sydney CBD to Parramatta and that number climbs to 28.4 for example. Go a few km more to Penrith and its 31.

Last edited by Richard1098; 11-13-2013 at 11:45 PM..

Old 11-14-2013, 12:38 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,894,027 times
Quote:
Ummm....Sydney and Melbourne CBDs aren't most of Australia.... You've only got to a few km inland from the Sydney CBD to Parramatta and that number climbs to 28.4 for example. Go a few km more to Penrith and its 31.
Yep. That sea breeze adds $300-$400k to a home price.

Parramatta is more or less the geographical centre of Sydney too.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:02 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Fair enough, but he was responding to a post about "not having real summers". Even with the differences of a few degrees, summers in the Montreal and Toronto areas are basically the same as in the Melbourne and Sydney areas, with outdoor swimming (in pools or at beaches) possible almost every single day, or any other summertime pursuit is entirely viable.

If any Australians think that summers in most of the major Canadian cities are for example like those in the UK, they are dead wrong.

They'd feel right at home here during the summer. Trust me.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:36 AM

218 posts, read 376,432 times
^ Exactly.

Quote:
That's not the point. Summers are too hot for me at 26.6 as it is, so I certainly wouldn't want hotter, but your statement was that most of Canada doesn't get "real summers," while I just demonstrated that Canada's two largest cities do in fact have high summer temperatures. Most Canadian cities have 4 distinct seasons, including a hot summer, and snow in the winter = my ideal climate.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:19 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,742,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Fair enough, but he was responding to a post about "not having real summers". Even with the differences of a few degrees, summers in the Montreal and Toronto areas are basically the same as in the Melbourne and Sydney areas, with outdoor swimming (in pools or at beaches) possible almost every single day, or any other summertime pursuit is entirely viable.

If any Australians think that summers in most of the major Canadian cities are for example like those in the UK, they are dead wrong.

They'd feel right at home here during the summer. Trust me.
This is interesting...

To state that Aus doesn't have four distinct seasons is OK, even though a lot of the country does while other parts have equally distinct but different tropical seasons. But to reply that equally, a lot of Canada does have real summers is somehow controversial?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand