Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Australia vs. Canada
Australia 46 54.76%
Canada 38 45.24%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 05:31 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,894,027 times

Advertisements

Winter is just the coldest season, in temperate climate zones. So I guess Sydney and Melbourne have them. But I really wouldn't call Sydney or Melbourne winters "cold".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 07:42 PM

30 posts, read 70,570 times
"Cool" would be a more appropriate term for the winters there.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:56 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,742,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidUsername View Post
Exactly. When someone says "most of Canada," I immediately assume most Canadians (i.e. the areas where most people live). I'm not going to include an arbitrary desert location in the middle of Australia, just like I'm not going to include some Northern Arctic island when talking about what most Canadians experience. I don't know of a single Australian city that receives reliable snowfall or four seasons (I don't think even Hobart receives any snow in the winter),
Hobart is actually located at sea level, sheltered from the westerly weather patterns by Mt Wellington. In winter, you can take a 15 min drive from the water-front CBD which is cool but OK, to the top of Mt Wellington where everything is covered in snow and/or ice. Take a longer drive out of Hobart and you're in a very different climatic zone; a lot colder and a lot more windy. Same goes for Canberra; where a 20 minute drive will take you from a -6 or -8 degree morning to conditions that are a lot colder and icier in the Brindabella mountains just to the west of the city.

OK no major Australian cities receive reliable snow falls. But Canada has nowhere that matches the tropical weather patterns seen across northern Australia. Darwin or Katherine in January are very, very different places to be than in June. Spend the wet season in Darwin and you understand what humid weather really is. And record summer highs for places like Calgary are just normal summer days, seen day in day out, for a lot of Eastern Australia.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:26 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Hobart is actually located at sea level, sheltered from the westerly weather patterns by Mt Wellington. In winter, you can take a 15 min drive from the water-front CBD which is cool but OK, to the top of Mt Wellington where everything is covered in snow and/or ice. Take a longer drive out of Hobart and you're in a very different climatic zone; a lot colder and a lot more windy. Same goes for Canberra; where a 20 minute drive will take you from a -6 or -8 degree morning to conditions that are a lot colder and icier in the Brindabella mountains just to the west of the city.

OK no major Australian cities receive reliable snow falls. But Canada has nowhere that matches the tropical weather patterns seen across northern Australia. Darwin or Katherine in January are very, very different places to be than in June. Spend the wet season in Darwin and you understand what humid weather really is. And record summer highs for places like Calgary are just normal summer days, seen day in day out, for a lot of Eastern Australia.
Canada doesn't have anything even remotely close to being tropical.

Canberra if it were a Canadian city would have the warmest winter maximums in the country. The warmest in Canada among the cities are Victoria (+8C) and Vancouver (+7C) whereas Canberra is around +10C. And Canberra is much much hotter in the summer than those two cities.

Further inland in BC there is a region with average summer maximums of 30C or above, and sometimes reaching 40C or more (Osoyoos, Lytton, etc.), but in the winter these places hover around the freezing mark or a few degrees below that.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:52 AM

218 posts, read 376,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
OK no major Australian cities receive reliable snow falls. But Canada has nowhere that matches the tropical weather patterns seen across northern Australia.
I agree. Like I said, it is only my preference to have snow in the winter. Other people have different preferences.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:30 AM

468 posts, read 616,416 times
I'm an Australian and I would love snow in winter. The only large city I can think of that receives ANY snow is Canberra and perhaps light falls in Hobart. Otherwise, if you want frequent and reliable snow, New Zealand is only 2 hours away. Having said that, Canada is probably a fraction too cold for me in winter. The East Coast of the US, however, I can stand. I love it there.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:57 AM

386 posts, read 668,459 times
I would never wanna live in Canada. Too cold.

Australia just looks F-ing beautiful

Old 11-17-2013, 05:35 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,606,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Canada doesn't have anything even remotely close to being tropical.

Canberra if it were a Canadian city would have the warmest winter maximums in the country. The warmest in Canada among the cities are Victoria (+8C) and Vancouver (+7C) whereas Canberra is around +10C. And Canberra is much much hotter in the summer than those two cities.

Further inland in BC there is a region with average summer maximums of 30C or above, and sometimes reaching 40C or more (Osoyoos, Lytton, etc.), but in the winter these places hover around the freezing mark or a few degrees below that.
Good post Acajack.

That poster stating Canada has no real summer is alittle off.

Warmest month average high and low temps in C

Toronto 26.6/18.0
Montreal 26.6/ 17.9 (McGill U weather station)
Windsor 28.1/17.9
Burlington 28.0/16.9 (suburb of Toronto)
Amherstburg 28.5/18.0 (near Windsor)

Sydney 26.6/18.7
Melboune 25.8/14.6

For a cold country Canada ain't doing too bad in the warm summer department.

And like Acajack mentioned, other areas of Canada pretty warm too,
like interior of southern BC, semi desert to desert conditions,
Spences Bridge, Osoyoos, Ash-croft, Oliver, Lillooet, and Kamloops
all have average warmest month highs in 29-31c range.
On the Canadian prairies Taber to Medicine Hat area avgs are 27-28c range.

And as for that comment about Calgary record highs,
Calgary can experience in summer temps in the 35-38c range easily.

Nearby Gleichen holds record high temp for Alberta at 43C/112F
Midale, Saskatchewan has Canadian record at 46C/115F

Contrary to what a lot of people might think really tropical places,
near the equator, like Singapore has much lower record highs,
Singapore has never experienced 38C/100F

Old 11-17-2013, 06:20 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,742,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post

Toronto 26.6/18.0
Windsor 28.1/17.9

Sydney 26.6/18.7
Melboune 25.8/14.6
But by Australian standards the coastal waterfront CBDs of Sydney and Melbourne don't have a real summer (or winter) either.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:45 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,504,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
Good post Acajack.

Toronto 26.6/18.0
Windsor 28.1/17.9

Sydney 26.6/18.7
Melboune 25.8/14.6

For a cold country Canada ain't doing too bad in the warm summer department.

And like Acajack mentioned, other areas of Canada pretty warm too,
like interior of southern BC, semi desert to desert conditions,
Spences Bridge, Osoyoos, Ash-croft, Oliver, Lillooet, and Kamloops
all have average warmest month highs in 29-31c range.
On the Canadian prairies Taber to Medicine Hat area avgs are 27-28c range.

And as for that comment about Calgary record highs,
Calgary can experience in summer temps in the 35-38c range easily.

Nearby Gleichen holds record high temp for Alberta at 43C/112F
Midale, Saskatchewan has Canadian record at 46C/115F

Contrary to what a lot of people might think really tropical places,
near the equator, like Singapore has much lower record highs,

Singapore has never experienced 38C/100F
Although hotter on average than the southern cities Brisbane does not get the massive heat waves that often hit the southern Capitals.

Brisbane City has not had a day above 40C, since February 2008, that is something none of the southern capitals can claim, even Hobart.

The highest ever temp recorded in Darwin was 38.9.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 11-17-2013 at 07:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand