Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Australia vs. Canada
Australia 46 54.76%
Canada 38 45.24%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 06:48 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,742,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
The highest ever temp recorded in Darwin is 38.9, and Brisbane has not had a day above 40C, since February 2008.
In Darwin its the combination of humidity and temperature that gets you. As odd as it seems, a 42 degree day in Canberra seemed way more liveable than a 35 degree day in Darwin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 07:10 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,504,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
In Darwin its the combination of humidity and temperature that gets you. As odd as it seems, a 42 degree day in Canberra seemed way more liveable than a 35 degree day in Darwin.

I spent an entire summer in Darwin once, and know exactly what you are talking about.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:42 PM

794 posts, read 1,409,788 times
Quote:
huh? Even central Australia gets four very distinct seasons; most people notice a temperature variance in excess of 55 degrees centigrade.
Psst, Richard, that's not true. Go and have a look at bom.gov.au and you'll see it.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
Psst, Richard, that's not true. Go and have a look at bom.gov.au and you'll see it.
Ever been to somewhere like Alice Springs in June or July, and then in December or January? I'm pretty sure you'd notice the difference. I did.

Alice Springs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-17-2013, 10:38 PM

468 posts, read 616,416 times
Quote:
Still, 42 degrees is ridiculous. I'm inclined to say I'd rather the humid 35 degrees of Darwin than 42+ because I've lived in New York and I kind of loved the humid, wet summers they had. One thing I hate about Australia is how exceptionally hot and dry the summers can be. It's not pleasant, it's just unbearable and it makes everything so sluggish. I'd rather mild, wet summers in comparison to consistently hot 40 degree days. I also think I'd rather cold, icy winters than hot, dry summers. What does everyone else think? Is the cold more bearable than the hot? Do you prefer the wet humid summers to the dry and hot summers?

Also, to think we have a PM who doesn't believe in climate change, and that his inaction and disbelief will only perpetuate the rising temperatures here is cringe worthy Get real Tony Abbott!

Quote:
huh? Even central Australia gets four very distinct seasons;
Are you saying central Australia has an Autumn? Lol... Autumn happens to be one of my favourite seasons in the year, but Australia just doesn't do it that well, what with all the evergreens and mild to warm weather.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post

Are you saying central Australia has an Autumn? Lol... Autumn happens to be one of my favourite seasons in the year, but Australia just doesn't do it that well, what with all the evergreens and mild to warm weather.
Isn't that about vegetation types rather than climate conditions? Conifers and prairies don't look impressive in the autumn either.

They certainly have an "autumn" in the sense of a transition between the roasting ultra dry heat of summer, and "winter" which comes complete with its sub zero early mornings and plenty of cool days.

Colour in the centre is all about flowering vegetation that's linked to periods of rainfall, and not so much temperature patterns. After some decent rain, its actually pretty colourful.

Last edited by Richard1098; 11-17-2013 at 11:22 PM..

Old 02-14-2014, 11:56 AM

10 posts, read 10,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
Australia, Canada is just too damn cold, and too dark in the winter.
I live on Vancouver Island and yesterday was plus 12

Here you can see some picture ... VancouverIsland.com - Photo Gallery

Old 02-17-2014, 09:54 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,697,821 times
I know Canadians are trying really hard to show us all pics of Vancouver and tell us it's not cold and the weather is fine, etc.

But, no.
Vancouver is north of Seattle and most of us know Seattle is like the city cloaked in clouds and rainfall most of the year. I'm sure Vancounver isn't all that different. And yes, it does snow there. Don't kid urselfves. Australia offers a more sunshine, more outdoor pusuits on it's beaches and parks, temperate and warm temperatures, etc.

Australia wins.
Canada is nice and all, but if I had to choose. Australia would win in a heart beat

Old 06-05-2014, 08:15 PM

468 posts, read 616,416 times
Speak for yourself. I'd rather some snow and clouds, the sun is just oppressive here in Aus. It overstays its welcome.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:10 AM

6 posts, read 7,259 times
Any one can suggest me It Jobs Canada vs Australia

IT jobs :
Salary :
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand