Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:14 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,127,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Blowing their horn. Completely unnecessary as a safety issue, and boorish as a social one.
Usually used to make one of the following statements:

"What I'm doing is more important than what you're doing, so get out of my way."

"Oooh, look at me!. I'm so cool."

"I am so popular, that I meet people I know everywhere I go."

Driving is an activity that require constant attention, and distracting a wide circle of drivers to pay attention to YOUR trivial vanities instead of their own driving is dangerous, and should be punishable by a fine.
Happened to be me today. Driver was in a lane that has a delivery truck up ahead. She braked and started to get in my lane and she saw me coming and stopped turning into my lane so I had to honk at her so she can get in my lane. I can't continue in my lane because her car is in my way. She did nothing at first honk. Waited a little bit, no movement from her so I honked again until she finally snapped out of it and moved into my lane. The car behind me honked at me. Irritating to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 10:35 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,950,177 times
although I can see how it might be annoying to some people, I approach red lights fairly slowly as well; I agree with the other poster who said that we're all going to be waiting at the light anyway. might as well go easy on your brakes when you can.

the ones that bug me have already been mentioned: left-lane hogs (specifically the ones who drive the exact same speed as the car on the lane to their right; what's the point of taking up that other lane?!?), and cars that pull out in front of you to drive 5-10 mph below the speed limit. if you're going to drive that slow, you could've waited to pull out behind me.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:35 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,787,024 times
What pisses me off:

When people that are in a big hurry to pull out in front of you from a side street but then take their sweet time getting up to speed....why were you in such a big ass hurry yet now you're not???

People that drive slower than the speed limit on a 2 lane road....pull over and let all those who wish to do the speed limit if you choose to be the slow poke who holds everyone up....sorry but I don't like wasting people's time and I certainly don't want you wasting mine.

People with a cell phone wedged in their ear or even worse, texting...your car is not a phone booth...if you're going to jibber jabber with a phone in your ear or in your hands, then pull over...too bad it's illegal for me to shoot the phone out of your hand/out of your ear.

People that see you have your blinker on to get over yet do not want to be courteous to get over...gee ummm you see I want/need to get over...either quickly speed up or slow down so I can get over. The worst it seems is when getting on an interstate...the get on lane only goes for so long. Yet some fools will keep you from getting on until you're about to go off on the shoulder.

People that drive the same speed in the passing lane as the other guy on a 4 lane interstate/4 lane highway, and is side by side with him as to where you can't get over. It's called a passing lane for a reason...and if you can't drive any faster than the guy you're side by side with, then at least move your ass over so someone else who knows how to use the passing lane, can.

People that stop on a right turn arrow when the arrow is green...really you can safely maneuver a right hand turn on red with a green arrow w/o stopping and not getting nailed unless someone is coming at you at 120 mph 2 miles down the road. But then you'd get nailed regardless.

People that drive with their high beams on at night when an oncoming car is approaching...in a nice gesture I'll flip my brights briefly to alert you...but it seems that works about half the time. I usually return the favor by putting mine on.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:23 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
One thing that happens quite often in Maryland, though I have seen it elsewhere as well, is when merging on to a highway, the guy behind you will jump over early, usually crossing solid lines, to try and get in front of you on the highway. I am not a slow driver at all, but it still happens. I've started to jump over in front of them when I see them doing it. It annoys them, but so what, I was there first. I always let them pass in the real lanes, once we're on the freeway though.

Related to that though, is the "me first" races at lights. I'll be in the right lane, at the light, waiting for the green. The lane becomes the entrance ramp to a freeway about 1/4 mile away. When the light goes green, I go, and I don't go slow. People will be wanting to pass me and merge in front of me, despite the usually empty lane behind me, since I'm going pretty quickly. Yet, several cars will race to get in front of me and merge to get on the highway. Several cars, not just one. I will gladly let one or two in if it's really that important, but 3+ cars or more? No way! Often, when they do get in front of me, they then drive much slower than I was going! Why the heck couldn't they just get behind me? Same thing happens when I'm the 2nd car in the line and 3 or more cars all want to merge in front of me instead of just getting behind. I don't usually leave more than enough room for more than 1 car to get in and then I take the space away. Multiple cars still want to get in front anyways! What the heck is going on?

One other peeve, is the right turn island where you can keep going if traffic is clear. Some of them take you to a merge lane where you can speed up and merge safely. Yet, so many people will stop and wait for traffic to clear in the lane they want to get in (worse if it's the left lane they want). They will not use the acceleration lane provided to keep traffic flowing. Drives me nuts sometimes.

There. Now I feel better.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:42 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,879,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
One thing that happens quite often in Maryland, though I have seen it elsewhere as well, is when merging on to a highway, the guy behind you will jump over early, usually crossing solid lines, to try and get in front of you on the highway. I am not a slow driver at all, but it still happens. I've started to jump over in front of them when I see them doing it. It annoys them, but so what, I was there first. I always let them pass in the real lanes, once we're on the freeway though.
Along those same lines are the drivers, ahead of you or behind you on the entrance ramp, that have to immediately shoot straight for the fast lane when merging onto the interstate. Sometimes they may gain a few car lengths in traffic, sometimes not but almost always screw up the flow of traffic already there.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:09 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,541,581 times
Oh how tempting it is:

The distribution center I deliver from is located just west of an interstate highway. Most of our trucks return to the D.C. from the South, turn left at the end of the ramp and go through a light at the bottom of the highway overpass they just exited. Our trucks usually return with empty trailers and can reach the 45 mph speed limit a lot faster than most would guess. Most of the local car drivers know this and behave. But every now & then, someone will race past one of our trucks, cut in front and jam on the brakes to turn right at the next light. Being professionals, we back off and just let them do their thing. But it is nice to dream about speeding up so that they have to either turn around down the road or brake sharply to fall in behind us...

Old 09-15-2010, 01:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
That I am puuting my life in someone elses hands in one of the most dangerous situations.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:46 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,339,102 times
People who don't move up in the intersection when they have a green light and are turning left.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:22 PM

110 posts, read 124,182 times
Basically drivers like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefeather52 View Post
In addition to everything already posted, I'm annoyed by people who think the speed limit must be for someone else and come up behind you and flash their lights or honk to get you to go faster. The speed limit sign means the number on it, not 10 or 20 mph more than that.
If you don't want to go any faster, move your ass over to the right lane, don't sit in the left lane and obstruct traffic because you don't think anyone should go any faster than you say.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:08 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,127,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post
Basically drivers like this.

If you don't want to go any faster, move your ass over to the right lane, don't sit in the left lane and obstruct traffic because you don't think anyone should go any faster than you say.
This happens even when I'm in the right lane! Ah the irritating dance of driving at its finest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive