Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 02:21 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,230,715 times

Advertisements

Actually we have much more choice than Europe.

We can choose from Hybrids to V8s

In Europe they're limited to tiny engines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Got a link? I'm too lazy to go find it myself.

Most European countries have to be creative about adding power, as engines get taxed above 2.0L based on displacement. Which is why 2.0T is such a popular European engine size.
Displacement tax is such a silly tax.

2.0t engines consume much more fuel than a N/A 2.0L engine!

This is why Europe continues to sink. Due to all the silly regulations they have enforced.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:28 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post

Really?

Old 11-10-2013, 02:39 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:

yeah, because those 5.0 engines in ferrarris are so limited. i mean they only make about 450bhp, some make more than that. jags have engine about the same size as american V8s, as do aston martins, and other european cars. check out the mercedes like for instance, the bmw line up.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:53 AM

I'd agree that we tend not to have larger displacement engines in smaller cars over here, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing judging by some of the engines I've encountered in the US.

On the flip side I have recently been driving a BMW 740i gas powered sedan in the US and would have far preferred a 730d diesel powered version due to it having smoother and better power delivery and better fuel consumption.

Just to set the record straight, new vehicle taxation in the UK is based on CO2 emission output, and diesel is more expensive than gas.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yeah, because those 5.0 engines in ferrarris are so limited. i mean they only make about 450bhp, some make more than that. jags have engine about the same size as american V8s, as do aston martins, and other european cars. check out the mercedes like for instance, the bmw line up.
Can the average joe in Europe purchase anything even remotely close to a V8 like how one could in USA? The answer is a big NO

The most popular displacement in Europe is 1.0L - 1.6L petrol & 1.6L for diesel granted they're boosted but still.
And majority of vehicles are poverty pack with a manual transmission.

In Europe they also have a 2.1L 4-Cyl diesel S-class !

Old 11-10-2013, 03:51 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'm going to assume that it is because the marketplace is much more discriminating in Europe, and demands the choice. They have to be, because the high price of gas, which is 2 or 3 times what it is in the USA. In America, a car buyer just wants his car to have "plenty of power", so most have an engine that is more than big enough for the car, and the carmaker sells an engine, with a car that it can lift. But the European, who has to pay for the gas, does not want his car to be overpowered, so demands a gradient of choices that are appropriate for the car.
Yeah, but on average we drive less than half or even less than a third of what Americans are driving in their daily commutes and when going shopping. They even invented a name for this phenomena in the US: it is called urban sprawl. And this is true in practice, I can say from having lived on both continents.

I was always under the impression that cars are cheaper in the US, but for the lower price you have to choose from a smaller set of configuration of any particular model which makes it possible for the manufacturer to streamline and lower the cost of its distribution process.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Yeah, but on average we drive less than half or even less than a third of what Americans are driving in their daily commutes and when going shopping. They even invented a name for this phenomena in the US: it is called urban sprawl. And this is true in practice, I can say from having lived on both continents.

I was always under the impression that cars are cheaper in the US, but for the lower price you have to choose from a smaller set of configuration of any particular model which makes it possible for the manufacturer to streamline and lower the cost of its distribution process.
Urban sprawl is such a cliche.

What's wrong with having big wide roads, boulevards, freeways, shopping malls, big parking spaces and big houses?

I've been to EU and it's overated, no offense. Perhaps good for a little trip but living their you live a co promised life.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Can the average joe in Europe purchase anything even remotely close to a V8 like how one could in USA? The answer is a big NO

The most popular displacement in Europe is 1.0L - 1.6L petrol & 1.6L for diesel granted they're boosted but still.
And majority of vehicles are poverty pack with a manual transmission.

In Europe they also have a 2.1L 4-Cyl diesel S-class !
Do they?

Old 11-10-2013, 04:33 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,086 times
Quote:
Urban sprawl is such a cliche.
What's wrong with having big wide roads, boulevards, freeways, shopping malls, big parking spaces and big houses?
Spending too much time in your car is not considered quality of life here.

The day will come that fuel will be too expensive to be burned in cars. I seriously wonder what you Americans are going to do then with your huge distances? Write off the whole country or something? We will be fine with everything in walking or public transportation distance. Even over here you see small towns without amenities running out of favour and losing population. You build up your whole country under the false assumption that cheap fuel would be available forever.

In addition, there is a certain part of the population that simply can't drive like kids, the elderly, the disabled and the poor. It is really characteristic for the American attitude not to care about those whereas they are generally fine over here. The whole concept of 'soccer mom', driving kids around all day, originated from this defect in your planning skills, it would be unthinkable over here.

Last edited by drro; 11-10-2013 at 04:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive